Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by qs933
Picked up early Sunday morning. Both lines were only half stocked.

Emerald:
- Impreza (x2)
- Corolla (x2)
- Prius

Executive:
- CR-V EX
- Rogue SL (leather)
- Mustang
- Camry
- Maxima SV (x2)

I had a luxury reservation and was offered a 2018 Lincoln MKC or a 2017 Cadillac XTS. I took the MKC.

The upgrade section was all Mercedes -- Mercedes CLA, GLA, and GLC -- and a Land Rover Discovery Sport (not 100% sure). They didn't offer any of those for my luxury reservation (and I didn't ask).

You proproba could of taken the CLA for sure since its classified as luxury.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:06 am

I just noticed on an upcoming reservation that the app now says go to the counter. It had said go to the booth.

I assume I'll still be fine to head to the garage (is it level 3 or 4?), look at the selection (left for exec) and then head to the booth right? I know my CC Changed when a new card was issued.

Scott

Last edited by trout11; Feb 26, 2018 at 10:28 am Reason: updated question
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by trout11
I just noticed on an upcoming reservation that the app now says go to the counter. It had said go to the booth.

I assume I'll still be fine to head to the garage (is it level 3 or 4?), look at the selection (left for exec) and then head to the booth right? I know my CC Changed when a new card was issued.

Scott
Floor 4, elevators are past the ground floor rental car counters (which national has one too but as emerald club you'll be directed upstairs). Shuttle drivers are nice to direct emerald club members to the right area

If there's no one there, you can pick and choose your own then to the counter/booth area to get your keys. Just let them know the stall #. But note that if there's a line, (which sometimes there is if lot of flights are landing around that time) you may not get your choice as people will be taking cars in front of you, so have a couple backups ready to go.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by Closingracer
You proproba could of taken the CLA for sure since its classified as luxury.
Thought about asking for it, but the CLA didn't really interest me. I don't remember how much they were trying to get for it as a VIP upgrade, but they were definitely trying to attract someone who'd pay extra just to have the MB logo. While I was waiting, the manager was spraying tire shine to spruce it up.

It's funny that both LCARs (CLA and the MKC that I drove) had MSRPs less than the Maxima SVs and not that much higher than the Rogue SL that were on the Exec line. Not to mention that the $25K Camry LE (or even the $20K Corolla) commonly found on Emerald has more active safety features than both LCARs, or even the Audi A6 that I had earlier.

Looking back at this round of rentals, I booked Luxury since it was actually cheaper than a Full-size, but I would have been more than happy with a pick off either line. I was tempted to squander my Luxury reservation and ask for the Prius since I haven't rented the current generation, but figured there'd be other opportunities to grab one.

I noticed that the Prius had parking sensors and thought they might have bought a higher trim, but found out that Toyota is including Intelligent Parking assist and blind-spot at no additional charge on most Prius models for 2018.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:18 pm

First time heading to HNL, reading through the thread and did some searching but still confused. There's the quasi-aisle with locked cars, but is there the same mid-size booking requirement to pick whatever you want?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by toastedcoconut
First time heading to HNL, reading through the thread and did some searching but still confused. There's the quasi-aisle with locked cars, but is there the same mid-size booking requirement to pick whatever you want?
Yup as long as you're emerald club member.

The cars are locked with keys kept at the front/counter are due to the way HNL is designed. Rental car agencies share one large, multi story garage with a single exit point hence no ability for National to do the gate checkout.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:42 am

Anyone know whats around at the moment heading there for my first time from Australia our cars suck so hoping for something interesting!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by sambo150
Anyone know whats around at the moment heading there for my first time from Australia our cars suck so hoping for something interesting!
Unless you’re there at the booth right now, what’s there at the moment won’t matter — the selection can change pretty quickly from mundane to interesting and back.

Whether you’re Emerald, Executive, or higher and what car class you reserved will also make a difference. If you’re Emerald with a midsize reservation, a Corolla, Camry, or possibly a small crossover like a Compass is probably the norm. If you’re willing to pay the up-charge, they usually have a selection of BMWs and Mercedes-Benz sedans and crossovers on the upgrade line.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:16 pm

Thanks for your reply!

Yes I am exec elite but in Australia works quite different,

I am staying in waikiki for a week then onto the east side, I dont need a car in waikiki and was wondering if I would be better going back to the airport for car pickup rather than the Ala moana national location? Is there more cars on offer at the airport?

Thanks Again
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:28 pm

The airport has more cars, as well as a specific Emerald and Executive line to pick from. The Ala Moana Blvd location is a counter-only location. You are assigned a vehicle at the counter and then you go to the parking garage to pick it up. While the agents are generally pretty good about telling you what’s available, it’s much more limited.

However, you have to balance whether it’s worth chewing up your valuable vacation time to commute to the airport from Waikiki just to pick up a car. Not worth it, in my opinion. If you pick up from the Ala Moana Blvd. location, pay close attention to their hours. If I remember correctly, there’s no after-hours drop (the car will be towed).
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:02 pm

Great thanks for that info!
Ill see how I go at Ala Moana as I just looked and didn’t realise the airport was that far away the cost of uber etc out there is not worth it!

thanks again
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:29 pm

Sunday at around 6pm.

EA - Camrys, Corollas, very limited and non-interesting cars.

EC/ES - Maxima SV x2, Ford Flex, Explorer Limited x3, Camaro RS x3, Cadillac XTS 3.6 (2018), Rogue SL x2, GMC Acadia (non AWD)

Looks like sunday afternoon/early evening may be a good time as many people return from their vacations to go home. Though of course YMMV and may vary by the hour from incoming flights.

I had a small line behind me and people were taking cars fairly quickly (Flex, Explorer, a Camry and a Maxima were quickly taken)
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:42 am

Not spotted at the airport itself, but I saw a 2018 Volvo XC90 in downtown Honolulu with the tell-tale Enterprise/National stickers.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
The airport has more cars, as well as a specific Emerald and Executive line to pick from. The Ala Moana Blvd location is a counter-only location. You are assigned a vehicle at the counter and then you go to the parking garage to pick it up. While the agents are generally pretty good about telling you what’s available, it’s much more limited.

However, you have to balance whether it’s worth chewing up your valuable vacation time to commute to the airport from Waikiki just to pick up a car. Not worth it, in my opinion. If you pick up from the Ala Moana Blvd. location, pay close attention to their hours. If I remember correctly, there’s no after-hours drop (the car will be towed).
There is also quite a large difference in taxes between renting at the airport and the Ala Moana location. I will often one way from the airport and then pick up from Ala Moana and take it back to the airport just to save on the taxes.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Xu Guan
There is also quite a large difference in taxes between renting at the airport and the Ala Moana location. I will often one way from the airport and then pick up from Ala Moana and take it back to the airport just to save on the taxes.
That is a good point, though. The off-airport locations have much less fees and taxes than the airport.

On a side note, Ala Moana might not be an option -- on National's site, they list HNL Airport, Hilton Hawaiian Village (Waikiki), and Hyatt Centric (Waikiki). The Ala Moana (Discovery Bay Shopping Center) location is no longer available. The other two non-airport locations are in Waikiki, though, so the principle still applies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.