Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by hchang2017
what is the better time of the day to get rental at this place? morning or afternoon?
There's no sure answer to this. From what I said before. agents here say Thur/Fri are when more cars are available. I would imagine earlier in AM would have more cars than say mid to late afternoon where more renters have gone through and picked over the cars.

Update on my LCAR pickup tonight at HNL.

Cars parked in the premier/upgrade section:
Camaro RS convertible
Lincoln MKX
BMW 7-series (just pulled up from the wash)
BMW X3
BMW Z4 sDrive 28i (the turbo I4)
BMW 430i

I was offered to take either the Lincoln or the X3. I politely asked about the 7-series or the other two BMWs. (I had already driven a couple of camaros in my past rentals and didn't feel like wanted to drive the RS vert....I'm sure the vert camaro had way better visibility than the hardtop camaros though....)

The 7-series was a $50/day extra. And she said I can take either the 430i or the Z4. I didn't want the X3 as I've read on here that it's actually a bit underwhelming in features.

All in all not the greatest LCAR selection. I didn't need the room for the 7-series, but otherwise I would've taken that for the $50/day extra.

Chose the Z4 as I was by myself and didn't need the bigger/heavier 4-series.

The car is coincidentally great comparison as I had just recently driven a Mercedes SLK 350 a couple weeks ago from Turo. And this BMW is decidedly less features (could be because it was a lower trim/optioned?). No navigation, no bluetooth, no backup camera or sensors, (not sure if it has assisted driving tech, haven't played with it enough just yet). Trunk space seems bit smaller than the SLK 350. The lack of any screen/bluetooth to phone for the audio/sound is quite underwhelming as well.

I might actually go back in the morning and see about a potential switch.....heh

I didn't take pics of the EA/EC rows. But both rows were completely full (seemed to be a mix of your usual Accords, CRVs, etc.) and actually I saw employees pulling up even more cars to park to the side, behind some of the parking spots. I suspect they were getting ready for potential incoming mass of flight passengers....

Last edited by ginmqi; Oct 28, 2017 at 3:03 am
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
The Z4 is supposed to see a new generation soon; the last model year of the one you’re driving was 2016 (and looking at the license plate, it was probably a late 2015 or early 2016 purchase).
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:33 am

Yup it was a 2016 and I think over 17k miles. Interior definitely showing wear. Went back the next morning actually and politely asked for switch out.

Agent was very nice and said I can take any car from the upgrade/premier section (the 7-series still would be an extra cost).

Same cars as the night before except someone had taken the Lincoln and the X3. No Z4.

BMW 430i x2, Audi Q3 (grey colored), BMW 740i (looked like the 2015 gen....not the newest), yellow Camaro RS vert. Probably another car but I forget.

Got the 430i and it is much newer and more features. It's a 2018 model year, with the BMW infotainment, fairly intuitive to use the dial button for manuvering. Good visibility and due to heavier weight than the Z4, can tell a bit down on accleration. Eco mode has engine shutoff if you're stopped in traffic.

Saw several other white 4-series convertibles that were also rentals roaming around the streets.

I did make sure to take some EA/EC photos.

This is 6am on a saturday:

They got extra cars all lined up on the right hand side behind the regular spots too...looks like getting ready for an upcoming busy day!

Gold accord and a non-white Jeep...a bit more unique/diff than your usual rental colors. Looks like getting in first thing in the morning helps with a good selection too
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:18 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
It has bluetooth, you just have to run it through the voice control menu/steering wheel buttons.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
It has bluetooth, you just have to run it through the voice control menu/steering wheel buttons.
AH, I assume this is the Z4. Guess should've read the owner's manual (though not sure if they had it in that car).
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:54 am

Sunday at 930pm.

The previous reported pattern of lack of cars on Sat/Sun/Mon seems true. Very sparse with very little excitement in terms of cars.

Altimas xMany
Corollas xMany
Honda Accord x1 (looked like a LX mode, non-sport, color is bit more different than the standard silver/white, like a dark red/burgendy almost black)
Honda Fit x1 (unique find, and a blue one at that, might have picked this one if I didn't need lot of luggage space and 4 adults)
Subaru Foresters (AWDs)
Subaru Imprezas (2016s)
Ford Fusion SE x3 (No Titaniums seen tonight)
Ford Taurus Limited x1 (took this one, 2016 with 18k miles, needed the larger trunk space for some friend's luggage)

No Minivans, SUVs, Jeeps, or CRV or base sporty convertible or larger domestic sedans seen.

Upgrade/premier row:
BMW 430i convertible x3

Lincoln MKX

Chevrolet Corvette convertible (black, C7, looks like a stingray/base model?)

Maserati Levante (first time seeing a higher end "exotic" level vehicle at this HNL location)

Likely changing out the Taurus soon as it is a bit larger vehicle than I need and the interior has seen better days. The leather and all power everything is nice along with a nicer HVAC/stack and plenty of space in center armrest area. Surprised this is only classified as an ICAR (but I'm guessing since it's a 2016 with higher miles, it probably used to live at a higher level PCAR category before downgrading).

With the busy thanksgiving week upcoming, I'll need to revisit soon before the selection becomes sparse again!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Likely changing out the Taurus soon as it is a bit larger vehicle than I need and the interior has seen better days. The leather and all power everything is nice along with a nicer HVAC/stack and plenty of space in center armrest area. Surprised this is only classified as an ICAR (but I'm guessing since it's a 2016 with higher miles, it probably used to live at a higher level PCAR category before downgrading).
It should still be PCAR (or maybe PXAR). I don’t think National reclassifies individual vehicles based on age or condition, but they may be more likely to use it for the Emerald aisle vs. Exec — or give it as a “free upgrade” to someone with an ICAR reservation (that’s happened to me, and if I remember correctly, it was a well-used Taurus too).
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
It should still be PCAR (or maybe PXAR). I don’t think National reclassifies individual vehicles based on age or condition, but they may be more likely to use it for the Emerald aisle vs. Exec — or give it as a “free upgrade” to someone with an ICAR reservation (that’s happened to me, and if I remember correctly, it was a well-used Taurus too).
Ah good catch. I think you're right, Looking at the key it still is a PCAR but I was only charged the ICAR rate on the contract, which I had mistakenly assumed it was the car itself but I think its the rate that they charge the business account for my long term rental.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:28 pm

Another week, another update.

Sunday at 330pm. Thanksgiving is next week so selection may become scarce.

Toyota Corollas xMany
Honda CRV x2
Honda HRV x1
Hyundai Santa Fe x2
Nissan Frontier x2
Chevy Colorado x1
Cadillac XTS x1 (piqued my interest slightly....a worker was bringing this out just I was leaving the lot.)
Honda Civic x1
Honda Accord x3
Ford Fusion Hybrid SE (no titaniums seen again)
Nissan Altima
Toyota Camry
Hyundai Sonata
Subaru Impreza sedan
Subaru Forester AWD x1
Camaro base hardtop
Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 (picked this up)

No other Jeeps or other sporty cars seen in either aisles.

I did not expect a Grand Cherokee Limited at a ES row at all...especially on a sunday afternoon (noted to be a time for lesser car selection) but was lucky I guess. But looks like they do pull out some nice cars from time to time (ie the Cadillac XTS today and also the Audi Q3 earlier). Usually I'd think that a car such as this level would mostly be reserved for people who reserve a SUV class. BTW, it is a SFAR class (standard SUV). VERY well appointed SUV, leather wrapped steering wheel, power everything (I'm sure it has heated seats....not sure if it has cooled seats), auto engine stop feature when not moving, navigation, and the higher level 4WD system as well...sound system is definitely very good...I'd say I enjoyed this Jeep's sound system even more than the BMW 430i I rented earlier. Wheels could be bit better/larger, but hey this is a very nice ride for the ES row.

Again, much appreciate the very friendly National staff at HNL!

Last edited by ginmqi; Nov 19, 2017 at 7:48 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:32 pm

Looks like there was a 2018 Equinox next to that Fusion. Also, that's the first time I've seen a Colorado. Glad to see the variety is increasing!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:33 am

Good catch. That was a newer Chevy SUV that I've not seen before....must've been a new redesign/model. Yeah also a new Colorado is a 1st for me as well!

We're approaching the end of 2017 so looks like hopefully they'll start to replace some of the older models and getting in 2018s!!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
We’re approaching the end of 2017 so looks like hopefully they'll start to replace some of the older models and getting in 2018s!!
I’m hoping for a redesigned 2018 Camry, even if it’s an LE. A 2018 Accord would also be nice, though those just started hitting the dealerships here.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
As an Executive, is it worth reserving a premium vs. full size? Not banking on it, but possibly hoping for a luxury car upgrade.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI
As an Executive, is it worth reserving a premium vs. full size? Not banking on it, but possibly hoping for a luxury car upgrade.
Depending on time of day/weekday, you can probably score a PCAR on the standard midsize reservation since it will give you access to both ES/EC aisles at HNL.

I've found that it is a bit tough to get free upgrades into a luxury level vehicle. They have a premier row with the higher end BMWs, Lincoln, and I've seen a Maserati Levante there but those are almost always going to be an upcharge.

I've seen a Audi Q3 and a Cadillac XTS parked in the EC aisle though....
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:03 pm

Picked up Monday morning. I missed a brand new 2018 Camry (redesigned model) on the Exec line by a few minutes! Strike one.

I “settled” for the 2016 Audi A4 S-line that was also on the Exec line. I had the keys and was ready to go, but as I was walking around it, I noticed a bulge in the right front tire and pretty big ding on the rim. Strike two.

I was about to take a 2018 Equinox (new design and also was relatively new) as my consolation prize. And while I was exchanging the A4’s keys at the booth, an attendant pulled up with a 2017 Audi Q3. He picked up the A4 to take it out of service and I took the Q3 he was about to park on the Exec line. So a happy ending to this visit for me.

Other vehicles on the Exec line:
- 2017 Honda CR-V
- 2016 Honda CR-V SE
- Nissan Frontier pickup
- Honda Accord LX (2x)
- Jeep Patriot
- 2016 Dodge Journey (2x)
- Subaru Forester
- Honda HR-V
- 2018 Chevrolet Equinox

Emerald line:
- 2016 Hyundai Sonata
- Nissan Altima (several S and SVs)
- 2017 Toyota Camry LE (several)
- 2017 Toyota Corolla LE

The Upgrade area had several BMW 4-Series convertibles, a BMW Z4, and a GMC Acadia.

Last edited by qs933; Dec 5, 2017 at 5:32 pm Reason: Added photos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.