Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier Platinum (lol), fmr Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Confused

Why is the app offering me the Virtual Aisle when there’s a real Emerald Aisle at HNL?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by durche63
Why is the app offering me the Virtual Aisle when there’s a real Emerald Aisle at HNL?
There's actually *not* an Emerald Aisle at HNL. There is sort of a "faux" aisle in that cars down one side of the row are for Execs and the other side is for Emerald Club Members. But since all of the rental companies at HNL share a single exit, there is no room for the exit booth that a traditional "get in and go" Aisle location requires.

So you go out to the parking garage and do one of two things:
  • Wait in line if necessary to speak to the agent sitting at the desk, and they will assign a car to you based on your status, print out your contract and hand you the keys
  • Walk down the aisle and pick out a first and second choice, then go back and speak to the agent, asking for the specific car you want, whereupon the agent will either grant your request and give you the keys or (nicely) tell you to pound sand and give you the car that they had already assigned to you.
But you won't just get off of the elevator, jump in a car and head for the exit.
durche63 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:07 am

Did two pick-ups this week.

Tuesday around 6pm:
4 Rogue
4 Altima
2 or 3 Impala/Camry
1 Forester
3 Pick-up trucks
1 Acura TLX (which I took)

Thursday around 6pm:
1 CX-5
3 Rogue
1 Impala Premier
1 Beetle Convertible (which I took)
1 Forester
1 Challenger
A few other mid-level trim sedans

These are all just the Executive aisle to the left.
ginmqi likes this.

Last edited by ezak; Jun 14, 2019 at 12:18 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:06 pm

I'm looking to rent at HNL for a week with Executive status (via Amex). It's my first time renting with National. The rates for midsize / standard / fullsize are the same with luxury (and compact) just $13 more for the week. Is this typical National pricing? Would I be correct the the best value would be to book the luxury class in this case?

I'm mostly interested in an SUV, would be happy with CR-V, RAV4, Forreste, but would like to increase my odds of a Q3/5/7 (the SUV rates were a bit higher than luxury).
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by otomik
I'm looking to rent at HNL for a week with Executive status (via Amex). It's my first time renting with National. The rates for midsize / standard / fullsize are the same with luxury (and compact) just $13 more for the week. Is this typical National pricing? Would I be correct the the best value would be to book the luxury class in this case?

I'm mostly interested in an SUV, would be happy with CR-V, RAV4, Forreste, but would like to increase my odds of a Q3/5/7 (the SUV rates were a bit higher than luxury).
Yes, if they're all the same price you should definitely book luxury. Then at the airport, you can pick from cars in the aisle, in addition to what they are willing to offer in the luxury category. I've seen this pricing structure pretty often at National, although I usually stick with fullsize because I've always chosen from the aisle.

For SUV, you'll probably find one in the aisle, though not guaranteed. However, if you only have Executive, not Executive Elite, you're only allowed to choose from half of the aisle, and most likely the better cars you mentioned will be only available to EE members. You can always pay an extra fee for premium upgrades, of course.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:11 pm

Hey guys,

I rented minivans at National and Alamo and am leaning towards National even though it's a little more expensive since it's at the airport (versus having to hop in a shuttle and head down the street to the Alamo location) which seems way more convenient with our two young kids (3 and 2).

It sounds like there's an "executive" selection as well as "emerald club" selection of cars that you can choose from now?
Since we rented a minivan though, would it be best just to head to the counter and do the standard check-in (the one that people say is on the 4th floor for Emerald Club, etc)? I wouldn't be as concerned if we were renting a smaller sedan or whatever and it was just my wife and I, but we need the minivan since we will be picking my in-laws up from their relatives' place in Honolulu. I just want to make sure we actually do get a minivan so we can accommodate the 6 of us.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Picked up a rental on Saturday. Emerald line was relatively well stocked, while the Executive line was a bit lean.

Executive:
- 2018 Nissan Maxima SV (pulled away just as I got there)
- 2018 Acura TLX (replaced the Maxima as soon as it drove away)
- 2018 Honda Accord Sport
- 2018 Nissan Rogue SV
- 2019 Nissan Altima S
- 2019 Ford Fusion SEL
- A couple of 2019 Subaru Foresters

Emerald:
- Multiple Subaru Imprezas
- Multiple VW Jettas, including a station wagon
- Multiple Hyundai and Kia small CUVs
- Ford EcoSport
- 2019 Nissan Altima SL

I had a full size reservation and took the 2019 Altima SL from the Emerald line. The SL is well equipped with leather, Nissan’s Pro-Pilot driver assist package, moonroof, navigation, and Bose audio. First opportunity to drive the redesigned 2019 model and I think Nissan may have played it a little too conservatively with the 2019 redo. Interior trim materials were OK, but below the upper trim Camrys and Accords, and even below the Fusion SEL I drove a couple weeks ago.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:36 pm

Picked up a rental on Monday morning, before the booth opened.

Executive:
- Several 2019 Subaru Foresters
- Dodge Journey
- Jeep Cherokee
- 2018 Honda Accord LX
- 2018 Honda Accord Sport
- 2019 Dodge Challenger
- 2018 Acura TLX

Emerald:
- 2018 Toyota Prius
- 2019 Nissan Altima S
- Several Hyundai Kona
- 2 VW Jettas (base model and one with aluminum wheels)
- Ford Ecosport
- Nissan Rogue Sport
- Subaru Impreza

I hade a luxury reservation and was offered a 2018 Maserati Ghibli S, probably because it was just a 1-day rental. The traditional LCAR choices were slim pickings, which just a a couple of XTSs in the back.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
I hade a luxury reservation and was offered a 2018 Maserati Ghibli S, probably because it was just a 1-day rental. The traditional LCAR choices were slim pickings, which just a a couple of XTSs in the back.
That's quite an upgrade, even from a Luxury reservation!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
That's quite an upgrade, even from a Luxury reservation!
It sure was. I almost turned it down and asked for the QX60 that was parked next to it because 1) I wasn't sure if our luggage (3 suitcases plus other bags) would fit; and 2) this was probably the most expensive rental (MSRP-wise) that I've ever driven! Turns out it has a trunk that's just about as much usable space as a Camry or Altima (based on how well it fit our stuff).

This should not be viewed as a typical upgrade scenario, as nice as the HNL folks are.
ginmqi and durche63 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:25 pm

Picked up around 3pm - both lines were picked clean after the mid-day rush.

Emerald:
- 2019 Toyota Camry LE
- That’s it. Just one car.

Executive:
- Dodge Journey Crossroad
- 2x Chrysler 300
- 3x Chevrolet Malibus (brand new; didn’t check if they were 2019 or 2020s)
- Honda Accord (just leaving when I got there)

I had a full-size SUV reservation and was offered a Chevy Suburban LT or a Ford Expedition Max. Both of them had a lot of miles and the Suburban was scratched up, but the Suburban appeared to be better equipped with leather and active safety features. After grabbing the keys to the Suburban, I spotted an Expedition Limited parked in the back. I asked if I could switch to it since it was a little smaller. It had just 4K miles, leather, upgraded audio, and a panoramic moonroof. I really liked it.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:58 pm

Picked up early this morning and both lines were well stocked.

Executive:
- Mini Cooper Countryman
- Nissan Armada SL
- Honda Accord Sport (and either an LX or EX)
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
- Subaru Forester
- Honda Pilot EX
- Ford F150
- Nissan Frontier
- Jeep Cherokee
- Dodge Grand Caravan
- Nissan Rogue SV

Emerald:
- Dodge Grand Caravan (multiple)
- Toyota Sienna
- Hyundai Elantra
- Toyota Camry LE (multiple)
- Nissan Altima S
- Honda Accord (multiple)

I had a hard time deciding between the 2020 Pacifica (never driven one and this one was brand new), the Armada, or the Pilot. In its EX trim, the Pilot isn't very exciting. Basic grey cloth interior and no power lift gate (even though there's a button for it on the remote), but it won out because it's such a rare sight in the fleet.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:31 am

Executive elite status, and I need at least a 6 seater in a couple of weeks on Friday at 12 pm. Do I need to book the minivan (even though it's $100 extra and not unlimited miles) to be safe?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by JasonGenova
Executive elite status, and I need at least a 6 seater in a couple of weeks on Friday at 12 pm. Do I need to book the minivan (even though it's $100 extra and not unlimited miles) to be safe?
If it’s MLK weekend, supply may be limited since it’s a long weekend. I would book the minivan (or a full size SUV), especially if you have luggage. I’ve had a Pilot and a Pathfinder off the Executive line, but neither one has a lot of space for luggage with the third row up.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:57 am

From a little while ago, just forgot to post. Arrived at 2 pm on Monday 1/27. Nothing really special in either EA or ES. A sea of Altimas and Camrys with a lone Accord LX. There was also a Rogue, some Chevy SUV. Ended up taking an Altima SL just to try out the ProPilot Assist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.