Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just as a data point - I did not see any in the Executive or Emerald aisles July 26th when picking up
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Picked up mid-day. National had ... nothing on the EA or ES aisles. Both the National and Alamo sides were completely empty, save for a few 15-passenger Transit vans.

There were people lined up for aisle service, waiting for whatever cars were being driven up from being washed. While I was there, only 1 Honda Passport made it up, and it went to the Alamo side where someone was waiting for it. The National agent said they'd been short on cars all morning. Those hoping for a particular type of vehicle on the aisle were probably going to be disappointed (or waiting a while).

I had a luxury reservation. There was a lone 2022 Maserati Ghibli Modena sitting in the upgrade area next to the counter. The agent looked over my reservation, called a manager to get permission to use it, and handed me the keys. I was just glad I wasn't stuck waiting for a car off the aisle -- which would have been whatever came up from the wash.

This wasn't the first time I've had a Ghibli from National, but this one was definitely nicer and better equipped than the last one. Still on the loud and bumpy side, and there's not much legroom in the rear seat or space in the trunk. But that's not why people buy (or rent) a Maserati, of course.

Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:13 am

Picked up early this morning. Still slim pickings, but at least the aisles weren't completely empty like last time.

Emerald had the usual assortment of Camrys and Altimas. There was also a Kia Soul and a lone 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata.

Executive had an Audi A5 Cabriolet, which I'm sure would be appreciated by someone seeking the island sun and doesn't need the space of a sedan or SUV. Other choices were a CR-V LX, Subaru Crosstrek, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, VW Atlas, Mazda CX-5, and an assortment of Chrysler Pacifica minivans. There were also a couple of plug-in hybrids -- a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and a Pacifica Hybrid.

I took a 2022 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L, which I was surprised to see equipped with the optional Theater Family Group that adds another $3.9k to the price tag. Of course, the battery showed 0 charge.

Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:23 pm

EE/ES were both pretty well full. Nabbed the caddy XT4
Ordpc likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:44 pm

Picked up mid-day on the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend. EA and ES were relatively full.

ES had a 2021 BMW 3-series, RAV4 LEs, Camrys, Pathfinder, CX-9, Pacifica, and various other intermediate crossovers.
EA had Altimas, Camrys, Escape, Soul, among other sedans and small crossovers.

I had a luxury reservation and was told I could take anything off the Executive Selection...which seemed odd given that I could have done that with a full-size reservation. I asked if there were any specific luxury vehicles I could choose from and was taken to the BMW 3-series in the Executive section.

There were some X3s, a Genesis G70, and a couple 7-series BMWs in the upgrade section. I asked if those were available and was pointed to the 3-series since it was essentially the same as the 7-series, just smaller.

At that point, the agent left me to look at the 3-series. Another agent came by to see if I needed help, so I asked about taking the Genesis G70 on my luxury reservation. The agent had to get approval, but allowed me to take it. It was a 2021 G70 2.0T with about 12k on the odometer. It was probably a one-off buy from a local dealer, as it had dealer accessories and oil change stickers. It was fairly well equipped, with the Elite package.

Emerald Aisle

Executive Selection

Executive Selection
joepa26 and islandboy57 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: National Exec Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by qs933
Picked up mid-day on the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend. EA and ES were relatively full.

ES had a 2021 BMW 3-series, RAV4 LEs, Camrys, Pathfinder, CX-9, Pacifica, and various other intermediate crossovers.
EA had Altimas, Camrys, Escape, Soul, among other sedans and small crossovers.

I had a luxury reservation and was told I could take anything off the Executive Selection...which seemed odd given that I could have done that with a full-size reservation. I asked if there were any specific luxury vehicles I could choose from and was taken to the BMW 3-series in the Executive section.

There were some X3s, a Genesis G70, and a couple 7-series BMWs in the upgrade section. I asked if those were available and was pointed to the 3-series since it was essentially the same as the 7-series, just smaller.

At that point, the agent left me to look at the 3-series. Another agent came by to see if I needed help, so I asked about taking the Genesis G70 on my luxury reservation. The agent had to get approval, but allowed me to take it. It was a 2021 G70 2.0T with about 12k on the odometer. It was probably a one-off buy from a local dealer, as it had dealer accessories and oil change stickers. It was fairly well equipped, with the Elite package.
Thanks for always posting pictures. Nothing like 'seeing' the lot! I have a luxury reservation out of HNL for pickup on 12/2 at night. Curious to see what they'll have available. Kind of sounds like a luxury res doesn't make much of a difference? I have Exec Elite status thanks to my credit card, and I was debating between a full size and luxury res.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:17 am

^ Emerald Aisle

^ Executive Aisle (the only interesting part anyway)

12/2 9p: EA was pretty empty. Camry LE, Kona SE, K5, Crosstrek (base trim + EyeSight), Sportage LX

ES was fairly empty too. Maxima SVs, Mustang convertible, RAV4 LE, I think I saw a Tiguan, Explorer, and Murano SV. There was one row in the back with an A5 convertible, A4 Premium Plus S Line, and a GLA. I can’t remember what the half a white car was.

The friendly employee asked “Executive?” and after I said yes, she said to choose from anywhere over there. I asked.. including those? (Motioning to the Audis) - yes. Grabbed the A4. It’s the Premium Plus with the bigger engine and convenience package. No blind spot monitoring, apparently due to the chip shortage. 7K miles, 7 months old. Super fun ride for sure. Flooring it pushed you into your seat. It was tagged GXAR. I know it was just luck, but great experience renting out of HNL. I swapped back to an FCAR res (originally booked luxury) to save some $ and roll the dice. Paid off!

Helpful tip: the lower right side of the rear bumper has a safety inspection sticker. You want the farthest out date. Safety inspection stickers are good for 24 months on a new car so that’s the furthest out it’ll go. One tagged 12/2024 for example, would literally be brand new.
qs933, joepa26 and oftech like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Friday Dec. 2 around 1 pm. Executive was a sea of Camrys and Altimas, with a couple RAVs and Chargers/Challengers. Pretty dull stuff. We like a convertible in Hawaii, and there was a single fluorescent yellow Mustang we were in the process of loading when staff pulled up in a dark gray Mustang, which we promptly grabbed.

I like the new set-up but do miss chatting with the gals at the counter.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 8:50 pm

Picked up early Monday morning. Very few cars on the aisles.

ES:
- Pacifica minivans, one almost brand new 2022 Hybrid with the S Appearance Package and one from the pre-facelift 2020 model year.
- 2020 Nissan Maxima SV
- 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan
- 2020 BMW X3
- Two Audi A4 45s, one a brand new 2023

Emerald:
- Several Corolla LEs
- Camry
- Altima

I had a full-size reservation and needed space for luggage. The 2023 A4 was tempting, but after my Genesis G70 rental, I learned my lesson about getting a smaller sporty sedan. Someone made a beeline straight into the Maxima while I was walking around. I was also tempted to take the Pacifica Hybrid with the S package since I enjoyed driving it several rentals ago.

I went with the X3 instead, even though it was older and with 33k+ miles, since I've never driven one. It turned out to be a former BMW service loaner that EAN bought, as it had an ID sticker for their loaner fleet and a dealer license plate frame (as well as a dealer-installed bracket for the safety inspection sticker vs. just slapping it on the bumper like most EAN fleet-sourced BMWs). It had a pano roof, but was missing now mainstream features like blind spot monitoring and smart-key access (it was definitely hard getting used to fishing for the key fob to unlock the doors), both of which were options on the X3.

I saw a lot more older vehicles for the last couple of rounds at HNL...by older, meaning 2020 and even 2019 models. On the Alamo side, 90% of the minivans were 2019 or 2020 Grand Caravans, so EAN is sending the newer vehicles over to the National side, but the challenge of getting new vehicles is still an issue.

Emerald Aisle

Executive Selection

Do I want the BMW X3 or 2019 Grand Caravan...hmmm.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:37 pm

Picked up early Monday morning. Very few cars on the aisles.

ES:
- Pacifica minivans, one almost brand new 2022 Hybrid with the S Appearance Package and one from the pre-facelift 2020 model year.
- 2020 Nissan Maxima SV
- 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan
- 2020 BMW X3
- Two Audi A4 45s, one a brand new 2023

Emerald:
- Several Corolla LEs
- Camry
- Altima

I had a full-size reservation and needed space for luggage. The 2023 A4 was tempting, but after my Genesis G70 rental, I learned my lesson about getting a smaller sporty sedan. Someone made a beeline straight into the Maxima while I was walking around. I was also tempted to take the Pacifica Hybrid with the S package since I enjoyed driving it several rentals ago.

I went with the X3 instead, even though it was older and with 33k+ miles, since I've never driven one. It turned out to be a former BMW service loaner that EAN bought, as it had an ID sticker for their loaner fleet and a dealer license plate frame (as well as a dealer-installed bracket for the safety inspection sticker vs. just slapping it on the bumper like most EAN fleet-sourced BMWs). It had a pano roof, but was missing now mainstream features like blind spot monitoring and smart-key access (it was definitely hard getting used to fishing for the key fob to unlock the doors), both of which were options on the X3.

I saw a lot more older vehicles for the last couple of rounds at HNL...by older, meaning 2020 and even 2019 models. On the Alamo side, 90% of the minivans were 2019 or 2020 Grand Caravans, so EAN is sending the newer vehicles over to the National side, but the challenge of getting new vehicles is still an issue.
Weird, I looked up that BMW and it was first sold 10/30/19 (odometer: 3 miles) and its current title was issued in 2019 as well. Would BMW dump their loaner in a month or two? It's not uncommon for some of the rental cars here to have the safety inspection sticker on a plate and a dealer frame, more of the unique cars (I've seen this on Hondas in the fleet) - and ones that the dealer knows they're getting back. Could also be a newbie at the dealer doing the pre-delivery checklist and out of habit doing the same things they do for personal cars. I was behind a 2022 RAV4 rental (EAN) today and it had the safety inspection sticker on a plate below the bumper. The BMW also has a very common rental plate # (starting with TXB) - so, interesting that it had a BMW sticker on it too.

The local dealers here are still getting a ton of 2020's in to sell that were former EAN rentals. Mostly Imprezas/Crosstreks/Foresters and Corollas/Camrys at the moment. I guess they hold up well. I've rented pretty much exclusively from Hertz for the last 15 years up til now, but they've typically always bought the base models with just a handful of upper trims. EAN has always had a pretty healthy selection of mid to upper trims.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by islandboy57
Weird, I looked up that BMW and it was first sold 10/30/19 (odometer: 3 miles) and its current title was issued in 2019 as well. Would BMW dump their loaner in a month or two? It's not uncommon for some of the rental cars here to have the safety inspection sticker on a plate and a dealer frame, more of the unique cars (I've seen this on Hondas in the fleet) - and ones that the dealer knows they're getting back. Could also be a newbie at the dealer doing the pre-delivery checklist and out of habit doing the same things they do for personal cars. I was behind a 2022 RAV4 rental (EAN) today and it had the safety inspection sticker on a plate below the bumper. The BMW also has a very common rental plate # (starting with TXB) - so, interesting that it had a BMW sticker on it too.

The local dealers here are still getting a ton of 2020's in to sell that were former EAN rentals. Mostly Imprezas/Crosstreks/Foresters and Corollas/Camrys at the moment. I guess they hold up well. I've rented pretty much exclusively from Hertz for the last 15 years up til now, but they've typically always bought the base models with just a handful of upper trims. EAN has always had a pretty healthy selection of mid to upper trims.
If EAN sources it from a local dealer, it looks like those are the ones that may get a bracket (if that’s the dealer’s normal thing they do). BMW of Honolulu uses the brackets on their new cars. The BMWs EAN gets via fleet either don’t go through the dealership, or maybe they don’t want to spring the extra bucks on a bracket for fleet purchases, so they get a sticker slapped on the bumper instead.

It's interesting about the X3 I had. Maybe EAN leases vehicles for dealership service loaner programs? I've had other higher-end vehicles that, now that I think about it, could have been service loaners as well -- like the TLX and the Genesis G70 I recently rented. Both had dealer installed options like all weather mats or after-market tinted windows that you usually don't find on a fleet vehicle. Makes sense that once the dealer no longer needs it, it either goes to auction or goes into EAN's daily fleet.

My understanding is that Servco used to put the safety check bracket on all RAV4s and Highlanders because they wouldn’t stick to the unpainted plastic surface. They stopped doing that for RAV4 a few months ago, so now you see retail and fleet RAV4s without a bracket.

Even the RAV4 is something new in the Hawaii fleet. For some reason, EAN has never ordered RAV4s or Highlanders (or 4Runners), though you find them in the mainland fleet.

Last edited by qs933; Dec 21, 2022 at 5:10 pm
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:23 am

If EAN sources it from a local dealer, it looks like those are the ones that may get a bracket (if that’s the dealer’s normal thing they do). BMW of Honolulu uses the brackets on their new cars. The BMWs EAN gets via fleet either don’t go through the dealership, or maybe they don’t want to spring the extra bucks on a bracket for fleet purchases, so they get a sticker slapped on the bumper instead.

It's interesting about the X3 I had. Maybe EAN leases vehicles for dealership service loaner programs? I've had other higher-end vehicles that, now that I think about it, could have been service loaners as well -- like the TLX and the Genesis G70 I recently rented. Both had dealer installed options like all weather mats or after-market tinted windows that you usually don't find on a fleet vehicle. Makes sense that once the dealer no longer needs it, it either goes to auction or goes into EAN's daily fleet.

My understanding is that Servco used to put the safety check bracket on all RAV4s and Highlanders because they wouldn’t stick to the unpainted plastic surface. They stopped doing that for RAV4 a few months ago, so now you see retail and fleet RAV4s without a bracket.

Even the RAV4 is something new in the Hawaii fleet. For some reason, EAN has never ordered RAV4s or Highlanders (or 4Runners), though you find them in the mainland fleet.
I haven't seen a new paper plate RAV4 in a while, so I'll have to make a mental note of that. I hate having our safety check stickers on our bumpers so I moved them all to a bracket/plate after purchase. I have a friend that works at Servco so he helped me get the good ones that attach to both bolts on the rear plate instead of the short one. And yep, I thought it was interesting to see EAN get some RAV4s in HNL. They're the LE w/ BSM package from what I can tell. This is the first body style of Camry that they ordered the SE trim too. The next time I rent will probably be out of OGG or LIH so I'm curious what their fleet looks like. I'm waiting for hotel prices to come down, not even kama'aina rates are worth it!
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by islandboy57
I haven't seen a new paper plate RAV4 in a while, so I'll have to make a mental note of that. I hate having our safety check stickers on our bumpers so I moved them all to a bracket/plate after purchase. I have a friend that works at Servco so he helped me get the good ones that attach to both bolts on the rear plate instead of the short one. And yep, I thought it was interesting to see EAN get some RAV4s in HNL. They're the LE w/ BSM package from what I can tell. This is the first body style of Camry that they ordered the SE trim too. The next time I rent will probably be out of OGG or LIH so I'm curious what their fleet looks like. I'm waiting for hotel prices to come down, not even kama'aina rates are worth it!
I’ve had my last two Toyotas delivered with the safety sticker on a bracket by request. Both times it was done as a bracket under the bumper. I’ll probably ask them to do the license plate bracket the next time, though it is kind of nice to not have anything hanging off the plate.

My guess is supply chain is driving either Servco or EAN to pony up RAV4s and Camry SEs for the Hawaii fleet. Got to take what you can get. I wish they ordered some Highlanders.

I hardly visit the other islands. Cheaper to go to Vegas (well…except for the gambling part)!
Old Dec 31, 2022, 4:49 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I hardly visit the other islands. Cheaper to go to Vegas (well…except for the gambling part)!
Currently planning a trip to some of the islands and seeing a $350 a night Days Inn on Maui. Glad National still has good prices throughout the islands.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Picked up around 10pm last night.
EA - pick your white Corolla, Prius, Camry.
ES - 2x Nissan Frontier, 1x Pacific, Camry, Corolla, Camaro, Gladiator. 2x CX9

Took a CX9
qs933 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.