FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cars at HNL
Thread: Cars at HNL
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:23 am
islandboy57

Programs: National Exec Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by qs933
If EAN sources it from a local dealer, it looks like those are the ones that may get a bracket (if that’s the dealer’s normal thing they do). BMW of Honolulu uses the brackets on their new cars. The BMWs EAN gets via fleet either don’t go through the dealership, or maybe they don’t want to spring the extra bucks on a bracket for fleet purchases, so they get a sticker slapped on the bumper instead.

It's interesting about the X3 I had. Maybe EAN leases vehicles for dealership service loaner programs? I've had other higher-end vehicles that, now that I think about it, could have been service loaners as well -- like the TLX and the Genesis G70 I recently rented. Both had dealer installed options like all weather mats or after-market tinted windows that you usually don't find on a fleet vehicle. Makes sense that once the dealer no longer needs it, it either goes to auction or goes into EAN's daily fleet.

My understanding is that Servco used to put the safety check bracket on all RAV4s and Highlanders because they wouldn’t stick to the unpainted plastic surface. They stopped doing that for RAV4 a few months ago, so now you see retail and fleet RAV4s without a bracket.

Even the RAV4 is something new in the Hawaii fleet. For some reason, EAN has never ordered RAV4s or Highlanders (or 4Runners), though you find them in the mainland fleet.
I haven't seen a new paper plate RAV4 in a while, so I'll have to make a mental note of that. I hate having our safety check stickers on our bumpers so I moved them all to a bracket/plate after purchase. I have a friend that works at Servco so he helped me get the good ones that attach to both bolts on the rear plate instead of the short one. And yep, I thought it was interesting to see EAN get some RAV4s in HNL. They're the LE w/ BSM package from what I can tell. This is the first body style of Camry that they ordered the SE trim too. The next time I rent will probably be out of OGG or LIH so I'm curious what their fleet looks like. I'm waiting for hotel prices to come down, not even kama'aina rates are worth it!