Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Cars at HNL

My wife and I will be in HNL 1/2/08 - 1/6/08. Anybody have any current info on the process and cars available?

Have reserved a midsize, and joined EC, so does that mean I just go out to the booth and show my reservation there?

As we are arriving from ITO into the interisland terminal, will it will be best to grab the shuttle bus rather than walking all the way through the terminal to United's baggage claim and crossing there?

Where do we have to go to add my wife as a driver?

What is the rest of the procedure for EC members? Inspect the car and sign paperwork?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Last edited by partsman_ba; Oct 30, 2007 at 6:11 pm
Old Oct 20, 2007, 3:56 pm

A great benefit of the Emerald Club is that your wife is automatically covered on your policy. So are your co-workers.

I've flown through the Inter-island terminal and I'm quite positive it's just as easy to walk.

Booth is outside, and they'll probably point to a group of cars and ask you which one you want. Then they'll give you the keys. Pretty nice folks.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I was just doing some HNL car rental searching and found the lowest rate at Budget for a week in February 2008. My cost for an intermediate car using the Costco code of W852802 was $148 plus tax.

I realize this is the National forum but since the OP was looking at HNL, I thought I would share a relatively good find for HNL.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jeeves
I was just doing some HNL car rental searching and found the lowest rate at Budget for a week in February 2008. My cost for an intermediate car using the Costco code of W852802 was $148 plus tax.

I realize this is the National forum but since the OP was looking at HNL, I thought I would share a relatively good find for HNL.
Appreciate the heads-up, since I'm looking for the best value - I'm not a corporate traveler with an allegiance to National. However, for my dates and times, Budget is at $164+tax for intermediates and $155+tax for economy and compacts even with that Costco code, whereas National with the Continental code 5007160 and Entertainment Book coupon NF15 comes to $109+tax for a grand total of $143.53!

Try those codes for your days and see what happens! Just need to get your hands on the EB coupon.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djlndc
A great benefit of the Emerald Club is that your wife is automatically covered on your policy.
Automatically? They don't need her drivers' license # or anything?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:40 am

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
Last month I grabbed an S40 from the quasi-Aisle at HNL. Not bad! Other cars available were Grand Prix, Impala, and a few other similar sedans.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by partsman_ba
Automatically? They don't need her drivers' license # or anything?
Good question. I've never given my wife's DL info. You may want to call and verify. However, I know when I've checked, they said, "she's covered." I really believe they don't care about your driving record. They just wanted to know that a licensed driver is responsible for returning their car.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

OK, so we walk to the booth in the lot, the person there points us to a group of cars we can choose from, we pick one, get the keys and go? No signing anything? Do we have to document previous damage to the car to keep from being screwed?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:56 pm

At National stations at LIH and OGG, Pontiac G6's & Grand Prix's, and Chevy Impala's were commonplace in the Emerald Aisle lane.

Jeff
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Time's getting closer - anybody been through recently?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 4:36 pm

I was there in September. Following advice from other threads, we walked out to the National canopy. The agent was quite friendly and there was only one person in line (the bus discharged about ten people as we were finishing up so I'm glad we walked) We asked and received a convertible. The car itself was in sad shape (the top didn't go down, it lacked power and had a trunk that was full of sand). We should have taken the brand new HHR.

As a side note, we dropped the car off early in the morning when they were closed. They called 12 hours later asking for the license plate of the car we had rented. I'm guessing someone didn't check the car in correctly.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
I'm Emerald with National and picked up a car from them at HNL earlier this month. I wasn't pleased with the service one bit. My car wasn't ready and I had to wait 20 minutes for them to wash it. The girl at the canopy in the lot was doing homework and seemed to be bothered that she had to stop to help me too. Even the return was messed up. They didn't have anyone outside to take the car back so I had to walk inside to the counter and wait in line.

I rented a Jeep Wrangler for $200 less than I could have gotten it from Hertz, but I was tempted several times to walk over to their canopy and see what they had available because I wasn't on "island time" yet, and the wait was really getting to me.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite, Avis First, Hertz PC
I just returned from a week in HNL.
I walked from baggage claim to the National Canopy in the middle of a parking lot. They guy at the desk was not efficient and while I was waiting for him to try to get an engine-start keychain to work on a CTS he didn't offer any greeting or anything. I got a nice G6 which was fine for my purpose. We did have to wait 10 min for the bus when returning the car. I would say that things are definitely on island time and its not like my standard business rentals at other locations.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fooko2002
I would say that things are definitely on island time
Since we will be there to visit relatives, Island time is cool with us. Just hope they are nicer than some people have observed, and that the cars aren't all junked out PT's.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:53 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was in HNL a few weekends ago and rented a minivan for 24 hours; it was a low-mileage Venture, which was nice enough, other than the interior had not been cleaned and there was a lot of trash in the back seats. Also, there was no one checking cars in at HNL, so I had to do an Express Return and hope the billing was accurate (it was, thank goodness). Upon reporting my experience to Customer Relations, I was given a one day certificate.

I'm back in HNL and used the Waikiki location this time (in the Discovery Bay complex, across from the Ilikai). I had a compact reserved, but was offered a Grand Prix, HHR, Impala, or Aura. I chose the Saturn, which I like; it's too bad XM doesn't work in Honolulu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.