Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Picked up early Sunday morning. Hurricane Lane must have caused a lot of returns, as the lines were fully stocked and the Avis/Budget floors were lined with cars parked bumper-to-bumper.

Executive Line:

- Multiple Nissan Rogue SV and SLs
- Nissan Murano SV
- Dodge Journey
- Chevrolet Impala
- Multiple Nissan Maxima SVs
- Acura TLX
- Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
- Honda Accord 1.5 Touring

Emerald Line:

- Multiple Hyundai Tuscons
- Multiple Mazda CX-3s
- Multiple Nissan Altima SVs
- Toyota Camry LE

I took the Accord Touring that just crossed 1,000 on the odometer. Great to see higher trims of the Accord that are more worthy of the PCAR label. The Touring trim includes navigation, heated and ventilated front seats, heads up display, and huge 19" wheels. Definitely sourced from a local Honda dealership, the vehicle inspection sticker was dated April 2020 (meaning the car was inspected in April 2018), but the registration sticker on the license plate showed that it was put in service in July or August.
aSiAnRiCk and ginmqi like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Went in tonight 10/17. Not much in at all, Nissan rouges, Imprezas, mini van, Nissan truck.

Ended up paying up $25 to get a Range Rover convertible. Made the wife happy so I’m happy.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: United, Southwest, Hawaiian Airlines
Was in town October 2-9, booked a Premium SUV on Rewards Credits...ended up with a Navigator with 5k miles on it. Amazing drive, but beware of the 25 gallon tank!
ginmqi likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:23 pm

Picked up on a luxury reservation on Sunday afternoon. Slim pickings on both the Executive and Emerald lines.

Executive:
- 3x Dodge Journey Crossroads
- 1x 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
- 2x Chrysler Pacifica
- 1x Ford Mustang Convertible

Emerald:
- 1x Dodge Grand Caravan
- 1x Toyota Camry

For my luxury reservation, I was offered one of several Cadillac XTSs or a Mercedes-Benz CLA. I had already driven an XTS this year, so I was going to take the CLA. I went with the agent to look at the trunk of the CLA since I had 4 adults and luggage and she mentioned that it was a much smaller vehicle. Parked next to the CLA was a Volvo XC90 T6. I asked how much it would be to take the XC90 since I had wanted to try one for awhile but never got the timing right when one was available.

After a few minutes, the agent brought me the keys to the Volvo and said, “here you go.” This is why I enjoy renting from National!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:51 pm

Picked up on a full-size reservation. Emerald was pretty typical, but there were some interesting Exec choices.

Executive:
- 1x Audi Q7 Quattro
- 1x Jeep Wrangler JK Sport S 2dr
- 1x Jeep Wrangler JK Sport S 4dr
- 1x Volkswagen Beetle Convertible
- 1x Chevrolet Colorado crew cab pickup
- 1x Nissan Frontier crew cab pickup
- 1x Dodge Journey Crossroad
- 1x Nissan Maxima SV
- 1x Nissan Altima SV
- Multiple Nissan Rogues (SV, SL, SL AWD)

Emerald:
- 2x Toyota Camry LE
- Multiple Altima SVs
- 2x Nissan Sentra
- 2x Hyundai Tuscon
- 1x Mazda CX-3
- 1x Chevrolet Malibu

The Audi Q7 was the prize pick on the Executive line, but given that I had already driven one this year and wasn't going very far or for very long, decided to pass. Instead, I took the Jeep Wrangler JK 4dr. It's not the next-gen model, but I decided to see what the big attraction was given that it has its own reservation category and it seems like there's a pretty good demand based on the posts here.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: SQ Gold
Hey, guys, going HNL next month. It seems that there is EM and EL there after all, but wonder why on the National Website, it says the emerald aisle is not available?

also, is the location on-site or off site? it seems different sources provide different narratives (Airport website, National Car website, etc)

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:23 am

T
Originally Posted by yangfanism
Hey, guys, going HNL next month. It seems that there is EM and EL there after all, but wonder why on the National Website, it says the emerald aisle is not available?

also, is the location on-site or off site? it seems different sources provide different narratives (Airport website, National Car website, etc).
It’s a “booth” location vs an aisle. The keys are kept at a booth, so you can’t go straight to your pick, hop in and drive out like a true aisle location.

There are Emerald and Executive lines to pick from. There’s no real way to “save” your selection, though, so when it’s busy, best to have a backup choice as your top choice may be snagged before you get to the booth.

National is is located on the airport property in the temporary car rental structure, which is just a portion of the parking garage at one end of the airport. Avis, Budget, Hertz are there too. Depending on your airline, it may be faster to walk vs. catching the shuttle.

Enterprise and Alamo are both off prem and run their own branded shuttles.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:32 pm

National is an on-site airport rental location: http://airports.hawaii.gov/hnl/getti...n/car-rentals/

Unfortunately in its current state HNL @ National is not a true get-in-your-car-with-the-keys-already-in-it-and-drive-off aisle, keys are secured at the booth with attendants.

I've posted this before but the reason is that all airport rental companies share one large multi-story parking structure for their "lots" and so there is only 1 common egress at the bottom and hence impossible for national to establish their own exit gate like most other locations.

Incidentally, I was talking to an attendant just the other night and the new rental car structure is slated to be completed in 2-3 years. A quick google search showed this structure is slated to be completed in late 2020 but tenant improvements mean operational opening in 2021, so about 3 years from now.

This much larger structure of dedicated rental car operation should mean a potentially true aisle access for National (depending on how the lots are designed) and with a much bigger lot area for cars, it can also mean a more expansive fleet/car options for national as well.

https://hidot.hawaii.gov/blog/2017/0...ot-leadership/

Hawaii Airports Modernization | CONRAC

https://iconsofinfrastructure.com/ho...modernization/
aSiAnRiCk likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:54 am

Going to HNL in end of Nov and new to renting with National (got the Executive membership from AMEX)

Basically I can just book mid-size(full size is same price) and pick from Executive line right? And how much does upgrading to Luxury usually cost at HNL for a 3-4 day rental?

Haven't decided if I should try my luck with Executive or just pay the $20 extra to guarantee a Luxury (Not sure if it cost a lot more to upgrade at the counter)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by NardoSH
Going to HNL in end of Nov and new to renting with National (got the Executive membership from AMEX)

Basically I can just book mid-size(full size is same price) and pick from Executive line right? And how much does upgrading to Luxury usually cost at HNL for a 3-4 day rental?

Haven't decided if I should try my luck with Executive or just pay the $20 extra to guarantee a Luxury (Not sure if it cost a lot more to upgrade at the counter)
To get access to the Executive Selection, book full size (and you'll pay the mid size price).
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:43 pm

Sometimes you can score a luxury car on the aisle (recent posts show potential to snag Audi, Cadillac, Acura). Cadillac XTS is a very common luxury sedan. But YMMV.

If you ask nicely you MAY be able to get a free upgrade to a luxury car but it will highly depend on the day and how much they have in stock and how friendly the attendant/manager is.

"By the book" upgrades are usually listed at $50-75+/day with hanging tag on cars parked at the very front when you get to the booth/lot area.

I did see a Maserati sedan the other day at the upgrade section.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by bullsfan1227
To get access to the Executive Selection, book full size (and you'll pay the mid size price).
Thank you!

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Sometimes you can score a luxury car on the aisle (recent posts show potential to snag Audi, Cadillac, Acura). Cadillac XTS is a very common luxury sedan. But YMMV.

If you ask nicely you MAY be able to get a free upgrade to a luxury car but it will highly depend on the day and how much they have in stock and how friendly the attendant/manager is.

"By the book" upgrades are usually listed at $50-75+/day with hanging tag on cars parked at the very front when you get to the booth/lot area.

I did see a Maserati sedan the other day at the upgrade section.
Thanks, I think I will just book a luxury to begin with since it's only 20 extra for 3 days, not hoping for something really high end like BMW 7 or Maserati, but hopefully something more interesting than Acura and Benz CLA lol.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:58 pm

Thank you!

Thanks, I think I will just book a luxury to begin with since it's only 20 extra for 3 days, not hoping for something really high end like BMW 7 or Maserati, but hopefully something more interesting than Acura and Benz CLA lol.
They do have a BMW 7-series at this location that I've seen. Good luck and report back with your findings!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
They do have a BMW 7-series at this location that I've seen. Good luck and report back with your findings!
That would be a great first time experience with National!

Do they have different tiers of Luxury cars? I only see the basic Luxury (example is XTS) on their reservation, so not sure if 7-series/Maserati are included in standard Luxury tier or if they have an even more luxury tier that's not shown on the website.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:13 am

That would be a great first time experience with National!

Do they have different tiers of Luxury cars? I only see the basic Luxury (example is XTS) on their reservation, so not sure if 7-series/Maserati are included in standard Luxury tier or if they have an even more luxury tier that's not shown on the website.
In essence yes. If you reserve a luxury car you are NOT going to get a 7-series or the Maserati automatically. They are internally coded above cars like the XTS. Usually you have to pay the daily upgrade fee to get into those kinds of cars....BUT again YMMV if you ask nicely when you get there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.