[Expired] SPG Amex - 30,000 bonus Starpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] SPG Amex - 30,000 bonus Starpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Smidget
My wife and I have a ton of airline miles (well a ton to us ) but now are looking for hotel points and this seems like an awesome way to go. She's a little concerned about the spending requirements without the mint, but we'll manage

We just had a couple of questions:

Are there any possibilities to sign up for both the personal and business at the same time to maximize points for each of us?

Will it count as 1 or 2 credit inquiries if we are allowed to do both personal and business at the same time?

I read through the thread, so hopefully I didn't miss answers for those questions before...
If you apply for both on the same day it counts as a single credit pull. You may want to consider each applying for one (you = personal, wife = business) and then referring each other before the 30K offer expires for an additional 5K points each.

I applied for a Gold card on 6/6 and a Gold Business and SPG Personal on 6/22, as did my wife (except she applied for SPG Business). So it is certainly possible. Depends on number of hard pulls, FICO, etc.

If you want referrals for either of the SPG cards, almost anyone here can do them for you.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by honmani2
I have a Hilton Visa card since I generally stay at Hiltons. But I got this offer and I'm tempted. Is it a good deal? Okay, maybe that's a silly questioni.
The Starwood Amex is a great card under normal circumstances, and this current time-limited offer is a) even better and b) as good as you're likely to see this year. (The emerging pattern since 2010 has been to roll out the best special offer in July.)

This offer no longer requires a referral. (It did initially, but that requirement was dropped on 7/26.) That said, I'm happy to refer anybody who's interested.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
If you apply for both on the same day it counts as a single credit pull. You may want to consider each applying for one (you = personal, wife = business) and then referring each other before the 30K offer expires for an additional 5K points each.

I applied for a Gold card on 6/6 and a Gold Business and SPG Personal on 6/22, as did my wife (except she applied for SPG Business). So it is certainly possible. Depends on number of hard pulls, FICO, etc.

If you want referrals for either of the SPG cards, almost anyone here can do them for you.
If I go that referral route, I'd get hit for 2 inquires per person instead though right? But 10K more would be awesome... hmmm... now this would probably only work if I can get near instant approval too?

FAKOs are at 766/748, I got a Citi Business recently and we both did the 50K Sapphire (tried for 100K... boo).

Things to ponder! Thank you!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by LongviewTX
I tried to google and search throught FT forums to not see any definitive answer.

My question is - I plan to apply for SPG Personal SPG Business and Hilton AmEx at the same day. Assuming everything else (credit score, inquiries etc.) is in place, will it work out? Or are there particular limits are to how you should spread your applications?

My understanding is that Personal and Business should certainly be applied for at the same time as there are essentially cards for two different "entities" (you and your business - even though pull from the same credit report), but what about adding the 3rd card into mix?

I will really appreciate any advice on this topic.
Has anyone had any experience that would help answer this question?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:20 am

If I go that referral route, I'd get hit for 2 inquires per person instead though right?
No. So long as you apply on the same day (preferably close in time), two apps with a single card issuer will result in a single inquiry on your credit report.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by beltway
No. So long as you apply on the same day (preferably close in time), two apps with a single card issuer will result in a single inquiry on your credit report.
Right, but let's say I apply for the personal and my wife applies for the business account, I'd have to wait until I have those cards to do the referral and thus the wait between would cause it to be 4 inquiries in total versus 2? Or am I missing something?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:37 am

Right, but let's say I apply for the personal and my wife applies for the business account, I'd have to wait until I have those cards to do the referral and thus the wait between would cause it to be 4 inquiries in total versus 2? Or am I missing something?
No, that's correct: it would be 2 separate INQs for each of you.

Of course, to make it worth your while you'd want to be confident of racking up $18,000 in charges over the relevant time period. At best, you could apply now & then do cross-referrals at the August 22 deadline, giving you 3 2/3 months to hit the spend target.

EDIT: Note also that you can score up to 2000 more points per personal card (not business, alas) by adding users. Rather than repeat myself, I'll link to the details: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16827007-post52.html

Last edited by beltway; Jul 30, 2011 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:31 am

I was instantly approved for Biz PGR and Personal PGR in past week. If i apply for this I guess I will most likely get rejected? I imagine even if I call reconsideration line they will be like "are you really trying to get 3rd card approved in a week?!"
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:16 pm

Biz PRG- site suggest you have at least 2 years in business and income..would it work with one year or less in business and NO income
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
The Starwood Amex is a great card under normal circumstances, and this current time-limited offer is a) even better and b) as good as you're likely to see this year. (The emerging pattern since 2010 has been to roll out the best special offer in July.)

This offer no longer requires a referral. (It did initially, but that requirement was dropped on 7/26.) That said, I'm happy to refer anybody who's interested.
But it still makes sense to go the referral route since you would get 35K points, right?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:56 pm

Got instantly approved for the business, wife got instantly approved for the personal. Now to get the cards and start the spend. Will follow the above advice, and wait until ~Aug 22nd (probably will do it Aug 19th...) to refer each other and get the other side (wife business and me personal). Thanks for all of the advice!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by honmani2
But it still makes sense to go the referral route since you would get 35K points, right?
If the referred party is approved, full offer (10K first purchase + 20K/$4500/3mos) for him or her and 5K for the referrer.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Got instatntly approved for personal... and pending review on biz
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:25 pm

Can an SPG Biz refer for a SPG personal?

My wife has the biz card and when she goes to the refer link and chooses Refer a Friend, it says her card is not qualified or something like that. She can refer a biz card.

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Got instantly approved for the business, wife got instantly approved for the personal. Now to get the cards and start the spend. Will follow the above advice, and wait until ~Aug 22nd (probably will do it Aug 19th...) to refer each other and get the other side (wife business and me personal). Thanks for all of the advice!
I applied for Visa and AmEx personal cards but was told to wait for e-mail for approval. I will then refer wife and she can apply but spending that amount to make the points might be dicey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.