[Expired] SPG Amex - 30,000 bonus Starpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] SPG Amex - 30,000 bonus Starpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by jamesfl
Can an SPG Biz refer for a SPG personal?
No, you can only refer for a card type you currently hold.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:37 am

two applications...

Applied for SPG Personal and Business last night, Sunday, around 10 p.m. (Hawaii time). Hit the submit for the personal first, then the business.

Both applications said decision pending, and I should be notified within 14 days.

Around 11:30 p.m., I received an email from Amex needing some further documentation for the business card. No email or word about the personal card. So I checked the amex status online and only see the business card processing, and no personal application to be found. Did it somehow get lost?

I am wondering, if I apply again for the personal card today, will it still count as one credit pull? Since I applied last night at 10 p.m. Hawaii time, the app, according to Amex/Experian, was done on Aug. 1st. So technically, I'm still within the one day, but don't know if my two credit inquiries will be merged since 9 hours have gone by. Any thoughts on this?

By the way, checked my Experian credit report and there's only one pull from Amex on Aug. 1.

Any ideas on how to proceed from here would be much appreciated!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Generally, a business card and a personal card will each generate an inquiry, so I would anticipate two inquires/credit pulls if both applications went through. The personal card may not have gone through given the lack of a second inquiry and no application was found.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:08 pm

Thanks FLYERIL!

I assumed they would be just one inquiry if done on the same day. I appreciate the clarification. At least I don't need to stress about them both not going through on the same day and just simply reapply for the personal.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by csr12621
Thanks FLYERIL!

I assumed they would be just one inquiry if done on the same day. I appreciate the clarification. At least I don't need to stress about them both not going through on the same day and just simply reapply for the personal.
Two Amex inquiries on the same day will result in one showing on your credit report (MOST of the time). I would not re-apply right away as you might be getting the second card anyway.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Extra Points for Authorized User

Does anybody know if AMEX will award extra points for adding authorized users to my account. I want to add my wife since we decided against her applying (would very difficult to reach spending requirement of $9000 for two cards in three months).
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by eknock007
Does anybody know if AMEX will award extra points for adding authorized users to my account. I want to add my wife since we decided against her applying (would very difficult to reach spending requirement of $9000 for two cards in three months).
As beltway said on the last page: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16827007-post52.html
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:25 am

Is there a way to check on the status of an application?

When I applied for the business card, it said my application needed to be reviewed. :/
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by nall
Is there a way to check on the status of an application?

When I applied for the business card, it said my application needed to be reviewed. :/

Business card will take about a day to approve - at least it did in my case
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:02 pm

how much do you guys think one has to spend per year on the SPG Amex to justify the annual fee?

i know at 20,000 pts, you can swap for 25,000 miles. but if you don't even spend close to 20k a year on the card...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by barely_flying
how much do you guys think one has to spend per year on the SPG Amex to justify the annual fee?
Depends on your situation. Some possible reasons to keep the card even if you don't put much spending on it:
  • Getting the extra stays/nights, if they put you over the next status plateau
  • Getting 4pm checkout and possible upgrades, if you have no status
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:25 pm

Looks like the phantom "pending" applications that went missing the last two weeks just showed up.

I had three show up at the same minute. Called to have them cancelled and made sure that there would be no pulls to the CBRs.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Looks like the phantom "pending" applications that went missing the last two weeks just showed up.

I had three show up at the same minute. Called to have them cancelled and made sure that there would be no pulls to the CBRs.
I have two "phantom" SPG Biz applications and now one just showed up with today's date as "Received Date". I already applied again last month using the public link, so I have two SPG Biz apps now.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
If the referred party is approved, full offer (10K first purchase + 20K/$4500/3mos) for him or her and 5K for the referrer.
I tried to refer family members, but while I would get 5000 pts, they would only get 10,000 measly points.

How do I refer for 30,000 for them and 5000 for me ?
Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writetorich
I tried to refer family members, but while I would get 5000 pts, they would only get 10,000 measly points.

How do I refer for 30,000 for them and 5000 for me ?
Thanks a lot.
Shouldn't be.

Log in your AMEX online and there should be a referral offer banner ad on the screen. That opens up to an offer identical to the current public offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.