Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gmid2006
I have read through the entire thread and since I have just joined AA, I would like to get the 75K credit card that is offered however I have called all the phone numbers list here in this thread and no one at either AA or Citi knows about this offer. They all offer the same 30K credit card offer.

Since I have just signed up for AA, I would assume that it would take a long time if ever for me to be targeted for this type of credit card offer.

I have followed some of the links posted however none of the application state the amount of bonus miles and when I talked to both customer service and reward programs, both of the agents told me that it would be the normal 30K program.

My question is, has anyone who did not receive a e-mail with 75K offer found a way to get this offer.
If you have read through the entire thread, you would have known the answer to your question already. Did you not read many successful stories from people who have applied and got the cards?

At the beginning 10 pages of the thread it has been well-established that phone applications do NOT work because the venues are only via online application pages - There is ONE snapshot of the offer page posted early on because the poster SHOULD NOT post the link that leads to the offer page - his personal data are on the offering page (name and FF number). Thank goodness the application pages are NOT targeted.

You seem to miss a lot of information despite your reading the whole thread - particularly the nice summary post on July 30 that listing all the offers and the application links AND the numerous data points from people who applied despite they are not the targets of the solicitation emails.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 4, 2010 at 10:14 am
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Happy
If you never are a primary cardholder on any Citi AA card, you definitely qualify as long as your credit profile passes Citi's risk assessment.

Ok - I'm confused. I currently have the Citi AAdvantage MC, but was contemplating getting the Visa and Amex. Am I correct in saying that I wouldn't be eligible to get the 75K since I already have the Citi MC ? I thought I saw some others posting that you could get the Amex & Visa even if you had the MC ?

I did read through most (but not all) of the thread but seem to see a couple of different views on this.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by logan115; Aug 4, 2010 at 10:14 am
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by logan115
Ok - I'm confused. I currently have the Citi AAdvantage MC, but was contemplating getting the Visa and Amex. Am I correct in saying that I wouldn't be eligible to get the 75K since I already have the Citi MC ?

Thanks,

Chris
Are you the primary cardholder of the AA MC? Or you are the Authorized User of the card?

The former would disqualify you. The latter would not.

By now people who read this thread even they are very new to this, should have read enough posts that it does NOT matter which type of AA Personal cards you have before - Citi only distinguishes the Categories - Personal versus Business. All types of personal cards are treated as the SAME for determination of "existing cardholder" or "prior customer (account)" or whatever term they used to as the criteria in the T&C.

Business card has different T&C. Read the fine prints.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 4, 2010 at 10:46 am Reason: EDIT to correct important typo.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by msp2msy

High INQ's, good credit scores and debt picture, but the big one here was that they granted the card with a legitimate business with < $5k income per year but with no EIN. She set this up and I forgotten until we applied that she never did get an EIN. We should do that for other reasons.
Thanks Citi!
Congrats! Quick follow-up: when you say "no EIN", did she use her own SSN (as would be the case for a sole propriertership)? Doesn't appear you can leave that field blank otherwise.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
If you have read the long running thread in the Other Credit Card forum, you would know that the language does not matter.

Please do update the thread the outcome when you call to "pitch a fit." We would love to hear successful story on this scenario.

If you mean "it doesn't matter" in the sense that they've been known to defy the T&C's, that's obvious now isn't it? However the fact that they've been doing it doesn't make it kosher, or excuse their legal obligation to obide by their own clearly outlined T&C's. Nahhh nevermind. Citi would never do anything illegal (like lie to investors about their exposure to subprime mortgages).
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I had an AA card 03-05/2008 but have not had any activity with Citibank since then. I applied using the 75k link on FT (was not email targeted) and was instantly approved for the visa. The common consensus is there is no need to call and confirm and applying through the link is sufficient right? $1.5k in spend is easy.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:16 am
Suspended

Are you the primary cardholder of the AA MC? Or you are the Authorized User of the card?

The former would not disqualify you. The latter would may.
FIFY

Obviously I won't know for certain that I"m getting the bnous until it posts but as of now, it appears to be going that way
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:18 am

The former would not disqualify you. The latter would.

By now people who read this thread even they are very new to this, should have read enough posts that it does NOT matter which type of AA Personal cards you have before - Citi only distinguishes the Categories - Personal versus Business. All types of personal cards are treated as the SAME for determination of "existing cardholder" or "prior customer (account)" or whatever term they used to as the criteria in the T&C.

Business card has different T&C. Read the fine prints.
Thank you very much for the quick response. I am the primary cardholder on the account so appears no 75k for me

Chris
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by teammjs
Congrats! Quick follow-up: when you say "no EIN", did she use her own SSN (as would be the case for a sole propriertership)? Doesn't appear you can leave that field blank otherwise.
Correct, we just used her SSN and Sole Proprietorship (she actually has an LLC but never filed for an EIN, oddly).

In the business application, it also asks only for individual income rather than household income. I was concerned that half our income (we make roughly the same) might be an issue, given all the other activity. It wasn't instantly approved but was after about 3 days without any conversations. My business card wasn't instantly approved either but a quick call took care of that.

Now to give it 60 days, see if I can get the first $750 on each which will be the true test of my promotions getting coded correctly, and, who knows, maybe I'll take a run at a trifecta but I'm about 99% sure I'll be shot down. But that's it for the year. A good one but I'm done with credit cards for now.

Now I need to do some long-term thinking about that 1m program mile lifetime status option at AA... This makes for a big step towards it.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JumboJ
If you mean "it doesn't matter" in the sense that they've been known to defy the T&C's, that's obvious now isn't it? However the fact that they've been doing it doesn't make it kosher, or excuse their legal obligation to obide by their own clearly outlined T&C's. Nahhh nevermind. Citi would never do anything illegal (like lie to investors about their exposure to subprime mortgages).
Nobody said it is kosher - just from a PRAGMATIC Point of View, the reality has proven the language difference makes no difference.

You can, of course, take any avenue to challenge Citi from the LEGAL Angle if you so desire.

Let's not to make this to Omni-like about the government bail-out...

The fact that all of us here are trying to get the sign up bonuses with very few percentage of folks really would keep the card as their daily use card, does not make us more Kosher than the banks. Let's be honest on that front.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by logan115
Thank you very much for the quick response. I am the primary cardholder on the account so appears no 75k for me

Chris
Try the business card if you never have one before.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
FIFY

Obviously I won't know for certain that I"m getting the bnous until it posts but as of now, it appears to be going that way
Ooops I just discover I have made an important typo on the Primary / Authorized user regarding eligibility in the post you quoted. I corrected it to what should have been. Primary holder of an AA personal card of any kind in the past year or even further would disqualify you, but the authorized user status would not. Of course there are always cases even owning AA cards as primary holder still got approvals on the new offers... but the key factor is to get the Physical Card actually mailed to you.

As long as you have the physical card in hand, you are golden. Citi does not have the same ability as Chase or AMEX to deny bonus after a card is issued. That is why it chooses to keep the gate at the card issuance level. (Until we have read reports otherwise, of course.)

Last edited by Happy; Aug 4, 2010 at 10:56 am
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Could you verify that your wife has never received any of the sign up bonuses Citi gave on the AA cards in the past few years (between 2006 to 2010 when the sign up bonuses started from 20 to 25 to 30 to 35 and the current one)?

This may tell how Citi make up the list(s) for screening of "existing cardholders".
she has never recv'd a sign on bonus from citi or AA
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmw2323
she has never recv'd a sign on bonus from citi or AA
In this case I believe she should be good to go.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:16 am
Suspended

Ooops I just discover I have made an important typo on the Primary / Authorized user regarding eligibility in the post you quoted. I corrected it to what should have been. Primary holder of an AA personal card of any kind in the past year or even further would disqualify you, but the authorized user status would not. Of course there are always cases even owning AA cards as primary holder still got approvals on the new offers... but the key factor is to get the Physical Card actually mailed to you.

As long as you have the physical card in hand, you are golden. Citi does not have the same ability as Chase or AMEX to deny bonus after a card is issued. That is why it chooses to keep the gate at the card issuance level. (Until we have read reports otherwise, of course.)
Hopefully in the next cpl days I will have the card in hand and we'll see what happens. Should I get it, in 60 days I plan to go for the Amex or Business cards.

I hope I'm not coming across as trying to start an argument - I'm just passing allong my own experiece as an example of how Citi doesn't seem to work on absolutes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.