Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
So, as far as this 60 day policy goes... I'm a bit confused.

From what I understand, the 60 days is for personal applications only, right? I've had a Citi AA Personal card since February and a Business for about a month. Then, I applied for the AMEX 50+50 offer and got denied.

The question is: Can I aply for the Visa 75k offer and be safe on the 60 day rule or does it include the business application that I had about a month ago??

I keep seeing all these people slipping through the cracks and I feel like I should try again if I can. Then, wait the 60 days again and apply in the beginning/middle of October if I don't get accepted for any of them this time around.

Anybody have any opinions on this? I know it's YMMV on getting accepted while having current cards open, but I'm just wondering about the 60 day rule.

Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Stoughton
FWIW:

I have a Citi AA Mastercard and a Citi AA Business Mastercard (both open & active).
I was not sent one of the emails but did use the link for the Signature Visa 75k offer

I was approved online, and called to confirm. I've since gotten both email and postal mail verification of my new Signature Visa card. The card itself has yet to arrive.
Well I was inspired by your story.. having the two AA cards open and getting approved for another, so I decided to give it a shot. I have the personal MC and Visa, and business Visa already. Gave the personal Amex a shot.

Declined.

Got to step 3 and got the "further processing is required at this time" message. Called the automated system immediately and got the decline message. Why can't the website just tell you that? It was obviously an auto-decline. No email in my box yet. I suppose that will take days to come even though the application has already been summarily denied.

Anyone been able to talk a CSR into approving a declined app?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
So, as far as this 60 day policy goes... I'm a bit confused.

From what I understand, the 60 days is for personal applications only, right? I've had a Citi AA Personal card since February and a Business for about a month. Then, I applied for the AMEX 50+50 offer and got denied.

The question is: Can I aply for the Visa 75k offer and be safe on the 60 day rule or does it include the business application that I had about a month ago??

I keep seeing all these people slipping through the cracks and I feel like I should try again if I can. Then, wait the 60 days again and apply in the beginning/middle of October if I don't get accepted for any of them this time around.

Anybody have any opinions on this? I know it's YMMV on getting accepted while having current cards open, but I'm just wondering about the 60 day rule.

Thanks a lot!
Currently there is no "60 day" rule. When Citi allowed churning you could bank on 1 application every 30 days or 2 applications in 60 days for the personal card and once every 90 days for the business card (in addition to the personal card). Since Citi has changed the rules on churning, it is anyone's guess on how often they will approve you (if at all).

My guess is that you are out of luck on all the cards - but again, YMMV.

By the way, since you were denied on the "50/50" application, you will probably be denied on the "75K" application also as they know you are a current customer.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Seeking advice re which biz cards, how many, and which offer?

Originally Posted by Happy
Skimming the data points posted in last couple days, it seems that if a person has personal cards before but no business card, even application stopped at Step 3, (probably generic decline based on previous AA card of any kind), a manual review would be done (seems only on business card app though) and if no other issue, the business card app is approved.

Happy -

Thanks for the insight. I started to work on charting the various data points scattered throughout the first 400+ posts and drove myself nuts.

I'm pretty sure that at some point I have had a personal card, so I'm going to try for the biz card. I know you don't have a cyrstal ball (or do you?), but what do you think about the following:

1. One card or two?
2. Which one(s)?
3. 75K or 100K offer or one of each?

Anyone else care to offer me some free advice?

TIA
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
another data point here - have had the personal AA M/C for over 2 yrs and just applied for the 75k Business Visa. Got the "application received, will email within 7 days" response and no application ID number.

Admittedly just opened 2 new personal cards earlier this year with good balance transfer offers, and applied to Citi as a sole proprietor, so this may have hosed me, despite a good score and income.

Will update if I hear otherwise but am chalking this up to a rejection!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
I was approved for the AA Amex and AA Visa (tho I don't have the cards yet). I applied for the cards back to back on the same computer. Boyfriend did the same and was also approved for both.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:32 pm

What would be the best way to use these 75,000 points to get the best bang for ya buck?

I've already applied and was approved just ready to get the points and use them to benefit me best.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xlax
Happy -

Thanks for the insight. I started to work on charting the various data points scattered throughout the first 400+ posts and drove myself nuts.

I'm pretty sure that at some point I have had a personal card, so I'm going to try for the biz card. I know you don't have a cyrstal ball (or do you?), but what do you think about the following:

1. One card or two?
2. Which one(s)?
3. 75K or 100K offer or one of each?

Anyone else care to offer me some free advice?

TIA
Huh, I wish I have a crystal ball. If I have, I will play the stock market not the mile game.

Back to the current program - Are your questions related to business card?

Assume they are, then

1) Citi rarely approve 2 business cards at the same time.
2) If there is an AMEX and a Visa biz card, AMEX might be easier based on prior history.
3) Again you most likely would not get 2 cards so you have to choose. If you feel you can fulfill the $10K spending then the 50+50 would be better in light of the current non-churning environment.

Hope the above help.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RandyNZ
another data point here - have had the personal AA M/C for over 2 yrs and just applied for the 75k Business Visa. Got the "application received, will email within 7 days" response and no application ID number.

Admittedly just opened 2 new personal cards earlier this year with good balance transfer offers, and applied to Citi as a sole proprietor, so this may have hosed me, despite a good score and income.

Will update if I hear otherwise but am chalking this up to a rejection!
Since your app is biz, it may still get approved after manual review if you never have a biz card before and your credit profile is sound.

There are enough data points to show that biz card app from people who have personal AA before could stop at Step 3 and still be approved later (most likely after a manual review and determined the applicant is not a previous Biz card customer).
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deant
Currently there is no "60 day" rule. When Citi allowed churning you could bank on 1 application every 30 days or 2 applications in 60 days for the personal card and once every 90 days for the business card (in addition to the personal card). Since Citi has changed the rules on churning, it is anyone's guess on how often they will approve you (if at all).

By the way, since you were denied on the "50/50" application, you will probably be denied on the "75K" application also as they know you are a current customer.
Agree on all counts, except the 60 day rule may still apply to some folks who have applied OTHER Citi cards within the prior 60 days. Then even though they are first time applicants on Citi AA cards, but if their apps are within 60 days from their prior OTHER Citi card apps, they could still be denied on the 60 days rules which apply to ALL types of citi cards, not just the AA varieties.

You may also recall that some folks are allowed to get 2 every 60 days while some folks can only get 1, even back in the good old days of 2008 and 2009,
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
This is one of the most dynamic threads I have encountered outside some exceptional MR ones. I am certainly tempted jump. Let me see if there is some consensus here and if I understand the situation correctly:

1. My wife has had an Citi/AA MC for a few years. I had some Citi card long ago but never Citi/AA. Is my wife ineligible and I eligible for both 50+50 as well as 75K personal cards?
Yes. You wife can try her luck because Citi's screening is not ironclad. She could get lucky and her name falls through the screening thus able to get the card assuming no issue with credit profile.

Originally Posted by aktchi
3. I appreciate the application inks but my anxiety remains that they don't mention anything about bonus miles. Could you be left pleading in the end, "But I read it on the Internet!"?
You have to take a leap of faith - there is NO landing page because the landing page (the page with offer details) is targeted, with targeted person's name and AA FF number on it.

After so many already posted back about verifying the offers with CSRs, there is little question that the offers are genuine.

You would not find ANY bonus details on the application page, nor in the card folder when you receive the card. However assuming you carefully follow the posts of offer links (there are a few floating around on this thread as well as other websites), your bonus should come after you fulfill the spending requirement.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by deant

Yeah, I understand that it's very unlikely that I get approved for another, but I see all kinds of examples of people with current cards getting approved for a new card, so I figured that I might as well give it a shot. But, maybe I'll just wait, cancel my personal card and then apply again in October instead of wasting another inquiry for a card that I'm 99% sure I'm not going to get.

I'd love to be able to get at least one of these cards and I'm just trying to figure out how I can get my hands on one!! haha
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by cvfd1607
What would be the best way to use these 75,000 points to get the best bang for ya buck?

I've already applied and was approved just ready to get the points and use them to benefit me best.
One World 150K business class award. One can fly up to 25K BIS miles in Biz class on various One World airlines. (BA, JAL, Qantas, Cathay, etc)

Assumes one applies for two 75K cards & both miles post.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL,CO,SWA
So just applied and got approved for both the Visa & AmEx for the 75k plan. I had to call the number to get approval which was no problem. About 5 minutes each. Wondering if my wife should try tomorrow also? Wonder what the chances are?

So I've got enough for 4 off-peak tickets to Hawaii now....
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:35 pm

Has anybody applied for two business cards using two different business names? How about three or four?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.