Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Hopefully in the next cpl days I will have the card in hand and we'll see what happens. Should I get it, in 60 days I plan to go for the Amex or Business cards.

I hope I'm not coming across as trying to start an argument - I'm just passing allong my own experiece as an example of how Citi doesn't seem to work on absolutes
Not at all. All data points are welcome. There are always exceptions of the main trend like everything else, especially with Citi.

The main trend remains prior primary holder of any AA personal card in previous 12 to 24 months would disqualify the applicant, versus if it is only an authorized user status, applicant is qualified AND is approvable if his credit profile passes the muster.

If you have received a Congrat email, you would see the last 4 digit of your new card as well as the credit line. Also if you have set up a userid and password during the application process, you would be able to try that out on citicard site, except it would ask for the security code before you can go further - but these would be all positive signs that a card is indeed issued and be mailed to you.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
If you have received a Congrat email, you would see the last 4 digit of your new card as well as the credit line.
Yes, as did the postal mail version.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Yes, as did the postal mail version.
I am surprised that they do the postal mail - usually it is email only and the only postal mail comes with the card.

I still think you are golden.

PS - Did you own AA cards as primary holder before? Did you receive sign up bonuses in past 12 to 24 months? If both yes, then consider yourself very lucky!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:36 am

Here's my latest experience.
Me: Never had a citi card. Just was approved for AMEX SPG and SW Chase card.

Applied last week for Visa Personal. Got to step 3 and that was it. Called 888 number a few days later and automated system said declined so I spoke to a rep. Rep didn't have any info and I got the App ID number. Called back to 866 number and gave app ID. Also didn't have any info but was told to call back tomorrow. So I think I'm declined.

Wife: Never had a citi card. Just was approved for AMEX SPG.

Applied today for AMEX personal and Visa Business.
AMEX was instantly approved. Yay
Visa Business went to step 5 and wrote down app ID. Called and they said that my wife had to be on the phone so she will call back tonight.

I thought I had better credit than my wife but maybe I have more cards open and I do have a recent mortgage in my name.

Q1. Any idea what they will ask about the Visa Business card when she calls? My wife has done some side work before but not very much (<$5k). Signed up as sole proprietor.

Q2. Should I apply for the AMEX card? Should I wait until I get the bonus from my SPG card and then apply? I've been reading that a FR from AMEX is a big pain.

Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Thank you Flyer Talk

More data points -- I had a Citi AA MC years ago....I think the last time the card was active was at least five years ago. No action with Citi since then. Fearing that I would be rejected on the personal cards, I went straight for the Business Card for the 50/50 offer. Was approved instantly for 13K. I do not own a business per se but am a practicing attorney and just put my working title as my business name.

What is the conventional wisdom out there of waiting a while (how long?) to apply for a personal card under the 75K offer? Can it be done? Am I getting too greedy?

To be clear, I'm pleased as punch with the miles I'll be getting from this offer. A 100K thanks to all who have so selflessly put me in the air.

-Sioux
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:46 am
Suspended

PS - Did you own AA cards as primary holder before? Did you receive sign up bonuses in past 12 to 24 months? If both yes, then consider yourself very lucky!
I have a Citi AA Mastercard - I'm primary, bonus was in May 2008 (IIRC) - card is still in use

Also have Citi AA Business Mastercard - Also primary, bonus (30k) was issued June 2, 2010 and the card is also still in use
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:52 am

Try the business card if you never have one before.
Last dumb question (at least for now) - but I am being naive in assuming that I need to have my own business to get the business card ? Neither myself nor my wife own our own business nor have the ability to open up a credit card on behalf of our employers.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Originally Posted by logan115
Last dumb question (at least for now) - but I am being naive in assuming that I need to have my own business to get the business card ? Neither myself nor my wife own our own business nor have the ability to open up a credit card on behalf of our employers.

Thanks,

Chris
This was answered in a previous post, but admittedly it's become a rather long thread! But yes, you need to own some sort of business, even as a sole proprietor, in order to qualify (especially if they ask for some sort of proof).
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Don't think so.

Thanks,

Chris
I don't "own" my own business and was able to apply for a business card. For business name, I just put my own name.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sosiouxme
I don't "own" my own business and was able to apply for a business card. For business name, I just put my own name.
So you lied on the app? Great advice!!!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by RandyNZ
This was answered in a previous post, but admittedly it's become a rather long thread! But yes, you need to own some sort of business, even as a sole proprietor, in order to qualify (especially if they ask for some sort of proof).

In all honesty, as much as I'd like to get 75k miles I have very little interest in taking a chance of getting into any sort of trouble or lying for three free flights.

And I have gone through just about all of this thread (and my head is officially spinning now) so I apologize if I missed something that was covered earlier.

Chris
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QL_714
You don't need to 'own' a business to have a business

This has been rehashed time and time again
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:20 pm

More data points -- I had a Citi AA MC years ago....I think the last time the card was active was at least five years ago. No action with Citi since then. Fearing that I would be rejected on the personal cards, I went straight for the Business Card for the 50/50 offer. Was approved instantly for 13K. I do not own a business per se but am a practicing attorney and just put my working title as my business name.

What is the conventional wisdom out there of waiting a while (how long?) to apply for a personal card under the 75K offer? Can it be done? Am I getting too greedy?

To be clear, I'm pleased as punch with the miles I'll be getting from this offer. A 100K thanks to all who have so selflessly put me in the air.

-Sioux
Typically, getting a business card has little bearing on your ability to be approved for a personal card. As it has been so long since your last personal card, I would think you'd have little problem getting approval. My best guess from personal experience and various reports on this site is that those who have not had a new Citi card in at least a year are likely to be approved. My wife and I churned these cards for a couple years until last being approved for personal cards in Dec. '09. I was approved last month for a new AA mastercard which in hindsight seems terrible as I missed out on these great new offers. My wife applied and was approved this week for a personal amex and personal visa so I'm happy she didn't miss out on these offers. Definitely YMMV but I would bet you have a high chance of success assuming credit score is good.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by RandyNZ
Absolutely incorrect!

You can use your own name for the business name.

Originally Posted by QL_714
He didn't lie. You can be a business. Ever heard of a consultant? Even if you are paid by W2, if you call yourself a consultant, as far as the CC is concerned, it's your business. You are not required to register a business to do 'business' in your own name.

In all honesty, as much as I'd like to get 75k miles I have very little interest in taking a chance of getting into any sort of trouble or lying for three free flights.

And I have gone through just about all of this thread (and my head is officially spinning now) so I apologize if I missed something that was covered earlier.

Chris
You will not get into any trouble applying and getting a business card. I've done it numerous times with SPG AMEX and Various AAdvantage Business cards.

I find the business cards even more fun because you can apply for the card as your legal business name, in this case your name, but, on the CC itself you can put whatever name you want to appear for the business (under the authorized user name -- your name).

My last few had the following names on the cards:

thehawk75's real name
thehawk75

thehawk75's real name
One great guy

thehawk75's real name
theoneandonly
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:34 pm

One more data point

I applied for and received the 35k offer personal MC just before these offers were posted here. I nonetheless tried for the 50/50 personal Visa and was turned down fairly promptly, with the reason given that I am not a first time Citibank/AA cardholder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.