[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:13 pm
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
Another data point on the 100K offer

(mods please move if in wrong thread)

I already have the personal AA Mastercard and Amex. Applied for both the biz and personal visa; got the biz visa instantly; eventually got rejected for the personal visa because " we are unable to approve your request for the account at this time because of the following: o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that you already have a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account with us."

(suggested it wasn't a credit issue)

(Guess I should have just gone for the 75K offer...ah well)
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Happy
Good luck on the personal card. Hope you get it because it is a reasonable request.

Smart decision on the business card. Definitely need to wait 90 days from the date of your now canceled application.
90? I thought it was 1 app in 60 days.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ken7
90? I thought it was 1 app in 60 days.
Business card is every 90 days from last card application.

Since the churning is over anyway, why rush to get in and risk a rejection if they invoke the 90 days on business card?!

Of course all the newbies would still want to try regardless...
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by kyunbit
Isn't Citi pulling Experian?
Citi pulled Transunion. (2 inquiries because I applied for 2 cards). I live in Southern California.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Chairman's Club
UPDATE: Approved for 75k after initially being rejected

Thought I would share my experience with this offer.

On July 25th, I applied and was approved for a Citi Mastercard with a 35,000 mile offer I had received via email.

On July 29th, I received the 75,000 mile offer in an email. I called Citi and spoke with a CSR manager to ask if I could receive the new offer instead. He had no info on the 75k offer, suggested I could apply for a new card.

On July 30th, I applied for a Citi Advantage Visa with the 75k mile offer using the link in the email I received. I did not receive instant approval.

On July 30th, received Citi MC in the mail - did not activate.

On July 31st, I received an email from Citi saying my application for the 75k mile offer could not be approved:
Unfortunately, we are unable to approve the application at
this time because:

o You have submitted multiple applications for credit.
Today (8/2) I called Citi and spoke with an incredibly nice and helpful rep. I explained my situation and she said that I couldn't be approved for the new Visa because they only allow one active application within a 60 day period. She said the only way to give me the new 75k mile offer was to close the account for which I was just approved and apply again. So while we were on the phone together she 1) closed the account I had just been approved for, 2) re-ran my application for the 75k mile offer, 3) approved my application for the 75k mile offer. Woo-hoo!

Based on the information she provided it seems that I actually might be able to apply again in 60+ days for either the Citi Amex or CitiBusiness Visa and get the offer again (not that I want to push my luck, but doesn't hurt.

Hope this info helps.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:41 pm

Business card is every 90 days from last card application.

Since the churning is over anyway, why rush to get in and risk a rejection if they invoke the 90 days on business card?!

Of course all the newbies would still want to try regardless...
Someone earlier in the thread said it was 2 apps per 90 days.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longleaf
Someone earlier in the thread said it was 2 apps per 90 days.
Actually the 1 per 60 / 90 days or 2 per 60 / 90 days - are NOT rules set in stone. It is highly YMMV - all depends on your credit profile and how Citi's proprietary risk assessment system give you the "score".

It is better to approach this with erring on the safe side and to increase the probability of success rather than pushing it to the limit.

And the above only applies to those who dont have AA cards before...

Last edited by Happy; Aug 2, 2010 at 5:24 pm
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:00 pm

Don't bank on the 90 day rule for business cards and 60 day rule for personal cards. I was just turned down the very first time after several year of churning. My last business app was 11 months ago and my last personal app was 70 days ago. I received the email stating that I previously had a Citi AA card.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chemist661
Citi pulled Transunion. (2 inquiries because I applied for 2 cards). I live in Southern California.
I'm in IL and they have always pulled equifax in the past.

edit - I've only got about 3 weeks til the 90 day threshold, I might as well wait til then.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Transunion Pull

Originally Posted by chemist661
Can I ask you which cards and which offer? Thanks !
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta SM, Southwest RR, Frontier ER.
I'm in for one of each (AMEX, VISA). I was approved immediately online for both.

I may even leave Delta behind for majority of my travel needs!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I did not know that you can exchange the companion cert for 5K AA miles? We threw ours away because as you said, it is almost useless.
The AA CSR informed me of this during the course of our conversation in which I was trying to make use of it and book 'something'. Essentially, I was complaining after trying to use it for any one of a myriad different flights that I needed to book and failing, that, as we've already established, these certificates are useless. At that point she told me that I could trade it in for 5000 AAdvantage miles, to which I promptly accepted that offer, and took down the mailing address to send it to.

At that point I happily went back to booking everything I needed online, and about 3 weeks later I saw 5000 AAdvantage miles appear in my account.

One caveat. This was back in early 2008. I haven't bothered with the certificates since then, so this information is starting to get dated...
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Datapoint:

I've had a Citi AA Visa Signature since about February of this year and got a CitiBusiness Visa about a month or so ago, but decided that I should try out the Citi AMEX 50/50 offer and if I get denied, I'll be canceling my personal Visa anyway and then I'll apply again near the end of the Oct. 31st deadline.

So, I just applied (figured that I'd have the best chance at the AMEX since I haven't had one of those before) and only got to the Step 3 "Application Received"... So, unfortunately, this pretty much means I'm denied, right? That seems to be the general consensus so far from this thread and the "jig is up" thread that I've been following for several months.

Also, I'm not 100% clear on if there is a way to check on my status (or talk to a CSR) since I only got to step 3 and don't have an application number or anything. Is there a way to do this or do I just need to wait for the iminent denial email/letter?

Oh well, I'll be applying again in a couple months if I can't get this one...

Thanks for all the info in this thread!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Datapoint:

I've had a Citi AA Visa Signature since about February of this year and got a CitiBusiness Visa about a month or so ago, but decided that I should try out the Citi AMEX 50/50 offer and if I get denied, I'll be canceling my personal Visa anyway and then I'll apply again near the end of the Oct. 31st deadline.

So, I just applied (figured that I'd have the best chance at the AMEX since I haven't had one of those before) and only got to the Step 3 "Application Received"... So, unfortunately, this pretty much means I'm denied, right? That seems to be the general consensus so far from this thread and the "jig is up" thread that I've been following for several months.

Also, I'm not 100% clear on if there is a way to check on my status (or talk to a CSR) since I only got to step 3 and don't have an application number or anything. Is there a way to do this or do I just need to wait for the iminent denial email/letter?

Oh well, I'll be applying again in a couple months if I can't get this one...

Thanks for all the info in this thread!
I posted the phone numbers to call for an automated app status check for both business and personal cards. The post should be a few pages back on this thread.

By the way, i only got to step 3 when i applied for the business card, and I was approved. So don't give up hope just yet!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:17 pm

Longleaf, thank you for posting the numbers upthread. Very helpful. I'm still waiting for the results of my business app. The rep couldn't tell me more so I'm hopeful I will get the card. Thanks for posting the numbers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.