Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - I've never held an AA card before and am trying to signup for both the Visa and Amex cards at the same time to avail of 75k X 2. However, the first application will issue me a new AAdvantage number. How do I manage this (don't want to end up with two AAdvantage numbers)

Thanks
Try going to the American Airlines website and signing up for an account before applying for the credit cards. Then you can put that account # in both applications.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: US,PC
Originally Posted by FLYERIL
Try going to the American Airlines website and signing up for an account before applying for the credit cards. Then you can put that account # in both applications.
As Simply as that!!
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by azhoopsfan
...what's the difference between Visa and Mastercard? Why/how can anyone pick one over the other?
Often there will be an offer for a hotel (for example) that's good for one or the other. Recently, Hilton had a deal for Signature Visa only.

In years past, Hyatt had something with Mastercard.

Tons of examples. Everyone should have both, and an Amex (or many, for that matter).
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: US,PC
Originally Posted by phonehome
I received the following rejection:

I have only ever had a Citi AAdvantage Visa and I applied for an AmEx. Admittedly my credit score is a bit low and my credit history is about 1 year long, so I've been getting some rejections recently (incl. the great SPG deal, ARGH!).

So I half-expected to be rejected for this one as well. But what really worries me is the specific reason they give, which indicates that I won't even be eligible for this bonus in the future, if it eventually resurfaces! That'd be really sad.

And anyway, how am I supposed to interpret this reason when so many other people have successfully received triple bonuses by signing up for all 3 cards?

In short: W.T.F !
Sometimes there are things which are beyond person's control so nothing can be done. Plus REJECTIONS in recent months DEFINITELY didn't help your case. Sorry to say that. Offers sometimes are too tempting but try gauging the situation at hand.

RESIST THE TEMPTATION sometimes
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by eudora
I just got the SPG Amex too, will this affect my chance of getting approved for this card?
If they pull the same CR as SPG did they will see the inquire. If they pull a different CR it will have no effect.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
If they pull the same CR as SPG did they will see the inquire. If they pull a different CR it will have no effect.
If he got approved, it will show up an a new account, so it should have an effect
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by longleaf
If he got approved, it will show up an a new account, so it should have an effect
Amex usually takes a couple of statement cycles before it gets reported to your CR’s.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:40 pm
DrG

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by longleaf
Wouldn't the new account also affect the credit utilization in a positive way?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
Thanks for the link! ^
Did a "blind" application just now, and got approved instantly. Just hope I hit the correct link and was ok'd for the 50/100K.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:49 pm

Sorry guys, I tried to read as much as possible but there is quite a number of posts so far. I did find the links for the 75k offer.

Back to my original question on when to apply for this card? I just got instant approval for the spg card just a month ago, should I wait to apply for this or apply now?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 1:17 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I just got my 35K miles offer. Thanks, Citi, but not thanks. I guess I'll wait to see if I get 75K or 100K.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by aktchi
I just got my 35K miles offer. Thanks, Citi, but not thanks. I guess I'll wait to see if I get 75K or 100K.
Why wait, why not just use one of the links from this thread for those offers?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: Lotz
Question 1:
I was rejected July 17 for the personal Visa because I had just gotten the AmEx and the business Visa June 10. I've gotten the bonuses from those two and my plan is to close them tomorrow and reapply for the personal Visa. My credit is great and I've had the personal Citi AA MC for years and a Citi checking and savings.

I don't need the AA's and it can't hurt my chances to close them and it may help.

My larger concern is whether the July 17 rejection for the personal Visa will automatically kick this one out too. Will this trigger automatic rejection? (I would guess phoning the application desk is my best chance even if initially rejected).

Question 2:
I have the SPG's but all the other hotel rewards offers stink. Are there any airline programs that transfer to better hotel rewards than the hotel cards themselves provide?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by gleff
Why wait [for the 100K offer], why not just use one of the links from this thread for those offers?
This shows my newbie status in this game. I was under the impression that you need an "invitation number" to apply? Is there a link which is known to have produced 100K bonus to people without "invitation numbers"?

Another thing in view of what others have written. SO and I each just got SPG AMEX as the offer was expiring 7/31. She already has Citi AAdvantage MC. Will it be prudent to cancel that one and wait a few weeks/months before applying for the 100K even if the link works?

Thanks for gentle hand-holding...
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: Lotz
Oh,

Question 3:

Citi uses Experian. Does anyone know which agencies Chase and (real) AmEx use? I know credit pulls aren't fatal but getting too many on one agency can hurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.