[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
I suspect that a key indicator of being approved is IF AA has been sending you solicitations on the Business / Personal card. Both my wife and I were churning heavily last year but she never applied for the Business card. She has been receiving e-mails asking her to apply (but only with the normal 30K bonus). I, on the other hand, have not received any solicitations. Since she had received the invites, she decided to apply for the 50/50 and see what happens. She got to "Step 3" in the application process - no further. We let a couple of days pass to make sure the application was being processed and then she called to find out the status.

Approved with a fairly high CL.

Bottom line, I believe that IF you are receiving e-mails for the CCs, then you stand a good chance of approval. If you don't get the invites, then approval is a crap shoot.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:19 pm

Can you tell me which number you called? Thanks.

Originally Posted by bjcleaver
Thought I would share my experience with this offer.

On July 25th, I applied and was approved for a Citi Mastercard with a 35,000 mile offer I had received via email.

On July 29th, I received the 75,000 mile offer in an email. I called Citi and spoke with a CSR manager to ask if I could receive the new offer instead. He had no info on the 75k offer, suggested I could apply for a new card.

On July 30th, I applied for a Citi Advantage Visa with the 75k mile offer using the link in the email I received. I did not receive instant approval.

On July 30th, received Citi MC in the mail - did not activate.

On July 31st, I received an email from Citi saying my application for the 75k mile offer could not be approved:
Unfortunately, we are unable to approve the application at
this time because:

o You have submitted multiple applications for credit.
Today (8/2) I called Citi and spoke with an incredibly nice and helpful rep. I explained my situation and she said that I couldn't be approved for the new Visa because they only allow one active application within a 60 day period. She said the only way to give me the new 75k mile offer was to close the account for which I was just approved and apply again. So while we were on the phone together she 1) closed the account I had just been approved for, 2) re-ran my application for the 75k mile offer, 3) approved my application for the 75k mile offer. Woo-hoo!

Based on the information she provided it seems that I actually might be able to apply again in 60+ days for either the Citi Amex or CitiBusiness Visa and get the offer again (not that I want to push my luck, but doesn't hurt.

Hope this info helps.
Can you tell me which number you called? I have the similar issues and want to give a try. Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
CITI vs. CBSD/UFC

On my credit reports, Citi is listed as two entities - CITI and CBSD/UFC.
In the past, I churned all of the cards on a 90 day basis, so I don't know which was the business pull and which was the personal pull.

I "think" that CBSD is the business card pull. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by iamthehpt
Offer for regular visa and amex has the old "only valid for new accounts" language as follows:

This offer is only valid for new accounts. You must be at least 18 years of age. If you are married, you may apply for a separate account. Citibank (South Dakota), N.A. ("we" or "us") is the issuer of your account.

The business card t&cs have the following language:

This offer is available only if the Business does not already have a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card and, within the previous 90 days, has not applied for or received a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card.
I'm surprised this aspect of the Business card has not been talked about more.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:52 pm

Hi all,

I applied and was approved for an AA personal MC in May. I made the potential mistake of adding my wife as an additional cardholder. Does that count as having an existing Citi AA acct even though I never submitted her SSN to Citibank? Should I remove her from my acct before applying? We have no prior history with AA credit cards.

Also, she has an LLC with very low income. Would it be better for her to apply to biz or personal?

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by jaytorr
Hi all,

I applied and was approved for an AA personal MC in May. I made the potential mistake of adding my wife as an additional cardholder. Does that count as having an existing Citi AA acct even though I never submitted her SSN to Citibank? Should I remove her from my acct before applying? We have no prior history with AA credit cards.

Also, she has an LLC with very low income. Would it be better for her to apply to biz or personal?

Thanks!
Your wife can apply for the card as she is an authorized user on your card but not the primary cardholder. My husband has Citi AA with me as the authorized user and I was just approved for the promotional AA Visa. I did have to lower my available credit by $9000 on my existing Citi Premier Pass card to receive the additional card.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:12 am

Programs: WN CP, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by chemist661
Citi pulled Transunion. (2 inquiries because I applied for 2 cards). I live in Southern California.
I would like to know which 2 cards you applied to as well. TIA
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:07 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
As a follow up to my previous post:

I called the 888 # and was told that I was denied because I already have an AA card. I asked if I canceled it if I would get these bonus miles and the woman said no, since it was a one time bonus.

I'll be canceling my personal card in the next month or so and then re-applying near the end of October.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:49 am

Sorry if this is redundant, but I haven't seen this specific response posted from anyone who applied for the 50/50 offer:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R)
/ AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that
you previously had a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account
with us that is now closed. Please call us within 30 days
from the date of this letter to consider re-opening
your account.

I had just closed my AA Amex about a week before applying for the personal Visa. Oh well, looks like I'll have to stick with the SPG Amex for now.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by xlax
Can I ask you which cards and which offer? Thanks !
Personal Visa & Personal AMEX. Both 75K with $1.5K spend each.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by andy75080
Can you tell me which number you called? I have the similar issues and want to give a try. Thanks.
Ditto. I need the same number Andy. Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:39 am
sgb

I got approved for personal visa, but not instantly online. The rep reviewed the application after I called them. Never had an AA card before but I do have another citi card. Does it make less likely that I would be rejected for a personal amex if I apply for one now? How about the business card? Have excellent credit otherwise and low utilization ratio.

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by DJZ
(mods please move if in wrong thread)

I already have the personal AA Mastercard and Amex. Applied for both the biz and personal visa; got the biz visa instantly; eventually got rejected for the personal visa because " we are unable to approve your request for the account at this time because of the following: o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that you already have a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account with us."

(suggested it wasn't a credit issue)

(Guess I should have just gone for the 75K offer...ah well)
Similiar response, I had applied for and received both 35k personal cards (MC and AMEX) in the middle of July. Applied for the personal VISA and got denied because too many applications for credit. Did not call. Did not apply for the BIZ.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personal card versus Business card

Skimming the data points posted in last couple days, it seems that if a person has personal cards before but no business card, even application stopped at Step 3, (probably generic decline based on previous AA card of any kind), a manual review would be done (seems only on business card app though) and if no other issue, the business card app is approved.

Having an invite may not be the key. There are successful business card app in the above scenario that the poster does not seem to have an invite but use the links found here. (found many posts in posts days ago.)

Information is gleaned from the quotes below.

This is not the case of personal card - so far there is no success story for personal card app by people who had the personal cards before, regardless whether the card(s) is still open or closed long ago. The only exception is if your previous personal card is a MC Bronze... based on the tea-leaf reading. Of course I may have missed other points.

Also if one has a business card before despite it is closed many months ago, one would still get denied if your name is caught by the screening. See the last post quoted.

There are enough data points now to allow people make an educated guess on the success probability based on their own situation, imho. Of course if one does not mind the hit of a hard pull, one can always try nonetheless.

Originally Posted by DJZ
(mods please move if in wrong thread)
I already have the personal AA Mastercard and Amex. Applied for both the biz and personal visa; got the biz visa instantly; eventually got rejected for the personal visa because " we are unable to approve your request for the account at this time because of the following: o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that you already have a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account with us."
(suggested it wasn't a credit issue)
Originally Posted by longleaf
By the way, i only got to step 3 when i applied for the business card, and I was approved. So don't give up hope just yet!
Originally Posted by deant
I suspect that a key indicator of being approved is IF AA has been sending you solicitations on the Business / Personal card. Both my wife and I were churning heavily last year but she never applied for the Business card. She has been receiving e-mails asking her to apply (but only with the normal 30K bonus). I, on the other hand, have not received any solicitations. Since she had received the invites, she decided to apply for the 50/50 and see what happens. She got to "Step 3" in the application process - no further. We let a couple of days pass to make sure the application was being processed and then she called to find out the status.

Approved with a fairly high CL.

Bottom line, I believe that IF you are receiving e-mails for the CCs, then you stand a good chance of approval. If you don't get the invites, then approval is a crap shoot.
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Datapoint:
I've had a Citi AA Visa Signature since about February of this year and got a CitiBusiness Visa about a month or so ago, but decided that I should try out the Citi AMEX 50/50 offer and if I get denied, I'll be canceling my personal Visa anyway and then I'll apply again near the end of the Oct. 31st deadline.

So, I just applied (figured that I'd have the best chance at the AMEX since I haven't had one of those before) and only got to the Step 3 "Application Received"...
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
As a follow up to my previous post:
I called the 888 # and was told that I was denied because I already have an AA card.
I asked if I canceled it if I would get these bonus miles and the woman said no, since it was a one time bonus.

I'll be canceling my personal card in the next month or so and then re-applying near the end of October.
Originally Posted by TTT103
Don't bank on the 90 day rule for business cards and 60 day rule for personal cards. I was just turned down the very first time after several year of churning. My last business app was 11 months ago and my last personal app was 70 days ago. I received the email stating that I previously had a Citi AA card.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 3, 2010 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by chemist661
Personal Visa & Personal AMEX. Both 75K with $1.5K spend each.
I got approved for both also. Did you call to make sure you had the 75k offer for both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.