[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: Lotz
That may well be the reason. Since here in DC my neighbor got rejected by Citi solely because of the 2 SPG inquiries in July on Experian, I'm waiting 60 days past my SPG apps. They may even rotate between Experian & Equifax here but I don't want to risk it. Good to know AmEx backdates.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:05 pm

Got one of those for the 100K offer?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by nic3456
Got one of those for the 100K offer?
No, sorry, but there's a screenshot of it in an early post here.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:49 pm

Have 2 Citi MCs and 1 AmEx. Just took advantage of the 75k offer and opened a Citi Visa. Called Citi to cancel one of the MCs and rep offered me everything under the sun to prevent me from canceling. I agreed to leave the MC open for another 6 months when she offered me double miles on all purchases. Doesn't cost me a thing to leave the card open and happy to use the 2x miles card as my primary card. ^
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
I'm hoping I'm in the clear already, I had a current Citi AA card, applied for 75k visa about 3 weeks ago, was approved, no mention since then of not being eligible and have done the spend, just waiting for statement to close. Anyone else get the points already having same type of card?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
Have 2 Citi MCs and 1 AmEx. Just took advantage of the 75k offer and opened a Citi Visa. Called Citi to cancel one of the MCs and rep offered me everything under the sun to prevent me from canceling. I agreed to leave the MC open for another 6 months when she offered me double miles on all purchases. Doesn't cost me a thing to leave the card open and happy to use the 2x miles card as my primary card. ^
When did you open your amex and MCs? Are those cards and the visa you applied for all personal cards?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Thanks, and most interesting. Replacing 75k by 50k or 30k leads to other valid promotions, not that we would prefer those.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:50 am

Wise FTers I need your help, I'm confident that some of you know the answer to this.

I was planning to get a 50/50 and a 75k personal card on the same day. I first did the personal visa for 50/50 but I only got a message that my application would be reviewed and that scared me off applying for the amex on the same day. After a few days I received a call to verify some details and in the end I got the card today. I wonder if it's still possible to apply for the 75k personal amex. Some posts seem to suggest waiting for at least 60 days. That would still fall within the promo period (Oct 31?) if they don't cut it short, but is it really necessary? Or am I out of luck and can't get a second bonus now?

FWIW I never had any Citi card of any type. I also the SPG Amex on July 2.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
delete....

Last edited by Keyser; Aug 18, 2010 at 1:45 am
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by koroleon
Wise FTers I need your help, I'm confident that some of you know the answer to this.

I was planning to get a 50/50 and a 75k personal card on the same day. I first did the personal visa for 50/50 but I only got a message that my application would be reviewed and that scared me off applying for the amex on the same day. After a few days I received a call to verify some details and in the end I got the card today. I wonder if it's still possible to apply for the 75k personal amex. Some posts seem to suggest waiting for at least 60 days. That would still fall within the promo period (Oct 31?) if they don't cut it short, but is it really necessary? Or am I out of luck and can't get a second bonus now?

FWIW I never had any Citi card of any type. I also the SPG Amex on July 2.
I applied for and was approved for both SPG personal and biz at end of July, applied for both Visa Personal and Amex beginning of August and was approved, waiting until 60 days to apply for the biz. Go for the Amex, and if everything's in order (i.e. credit's okay, not to many hard pulls, etc.), you should be approved
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by mlad1101
I'm hoping I'm in the clear already, I had a current Citi AA card, applied for 75k visa about 3 weeks ago, was approved, no mention since then of not being eligible and have done the spend, just waiting for statement to close. Anyone else get the points already having same type of card?
I am in the same boat. I received both the personal Visa and Amex and have met the spend requirement for Amex. There have been many people get approved for the cards but I have not seen anyone post that they have actually received the miles. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by johndeere19
I applied for and was approved for both SPG personal and biz at end of July, applied for both Visa Personal and Amex beginning of August and was approved, waiting until 60 days to apply for the biz. Go for the Amex, and if everything's in order (i.e. credit's okay, not to many hard pulls, etc.), you should be approved
koroleon was referring to the Citi AA AMEX, not the SPG AMEX.

koroleon, since you have been approved for the Citi AA AMEX, you are not considered a first-time cardholder anymore. Your second application, IMO, has a good chance for rejection, especially since the second card is a Visa and that requires more solid credit history for a higher credit line (based on earlier posts).

Once again, there isn't any solid rule we have seen. Everyone is different. YMMV.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Can we call citi and reason with them? i got rejected for already having a citi advantage master card?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Can we call citi and reason with them? i got rejected for already having a citi advantage master card?
I would guess no. I got rejected for having AA MC and AA Visa (applied for AMEX). I am going to try writing a letter but fully expect it to be a waste of time. My husband just got approved for a personal visa. He has an active AA MC. Go figure, YMMV indeed.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: AA, UA Gold, SPG, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 4now
I finally bit on this promotion yesterday. Citi has been sending me solicitations steadfastly through this recent recession. I did not get instant approval. I was finishing up; when their computer sent me a message. This isn't quite technically correct; but the message was something like: "woah, dude, like our system is weirded-out at the moment. But, not to worry; we got ya! Get back to ya on the snail mail, man.". Not the most confidence inspiring moment of my life..
If I get the card, I'll post back here.
EXACTLY what happened to me! My guy even used the turn "computer freaked out". I got a rejection email today (spoke with the agent on Sunday). I am really pissed off and have already called back and spoke to a superviser and got nothing. Then customer service, nothing. Then to cancel my existing card and all I got was my annual fee waived.

What pisses me off, is I'm not a "churner". (Or at least I wasn't before this offer I have put about $18k in charges on my citi in the year I have had it. And basically I was told tough luck, newbies only (which is different that what I was told before applying). I even asked if I can have the 45k difference between the 30k bonus I got with my card and the 75k now. Nothing.

They just kept saying that they want new customers. I said they are about to lose an existing customer that charges A LOT to the card. Nothing.

This reminds me of the decline of AOL when they'd brag about 2M new subscribers a year, when 3M per year were cancelling.

Anywho, I called again to confirm on the business card and its approved and in the mail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.