[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA
Does anyone know what is the extra 16 digit business account number on your citi business account page? There are two 16 digit numbers on my business account, one is my credit card, the other one I have no idea what it is. Account page only revealed last 4 digit but I have no clue I have ever created that business number. Is it something citi did to randomly generates a 16 digit business number?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:52 pm

I got denied because i already had the card, funny thing is I applied for a Visa and I really didn't think I had a AA Visa before.

I wonder if I should have opened a new FF acount with American.

I am going to apply for my dad this week and I know he has never had the AA Visa

"Thank you for applying for the Citi(R) Platinum Select(R) /
AAdvantage(R) Visa Signature(R) account. Unfortunately, we are
unable to approve your request for the account at this time
because of the following:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R)
/ AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that
you previously had a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account
with us that is now closed."

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hi5z
Does anyone know what is the extra 16 digit business account number on your citi business account page? There are two 16 digit numbers on my business account, one is my credit card, the other one I have no idea what it is. Account page only revealed last 4 digit but I have no clue I have ever created that business number. Is it something citi did to randomly generates a 16 digit business number?
All individual accounts report to the business account.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:02 pm
In memoriam

The biz account number is not the same as the number on the card. Guess the idea is that if you have several cards issued to several employees it is still just one account.

But, it gets confusing if there is just one card and one account, but, two numbers.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Just pulled the trigger to get the 50+50 business card. Instant approval.

I had 2 personal cards before and just closed them before the announcement of this promotion. Just wanted to avoid the annual fee (didn't give me any retention bonus on any of them). Since I opened the personal cards within one year, I didn't "risk" applying for the personal card again, getting a credit pull, and being rejected. So I got the biz card directly. When this 100K miles post, I should have my personal trips pretty much covered till at least end of 2011.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:16 pm
In memoriam

I applied for the 75K offer over the weekend. Called today and was transfered to "Customer Inquiry Dept." where a nice lady who seemed to be in the Philippines told me app was denied because I had had a Citi AA card before and offer was only for first time applicants.

I'm crying--cause I want those miles.

Guess I'd better cancel all my AA cards and wait a year. @:-)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:26 pm

Liking Citi more all the time ...

New Citi customer here; received 2 50/50 cards and now spending.

Originally Posted by blakeIV

Basically, she said its facts and circumstances on the approval, even though its stated as "first time only". She said people with 10 citi cards have been approved, although some have to move the credit limits from another card. Said things that help are actually using the card, payment history, history with citi, etc.
Such a contrast with last award card - US Airways Barclays visa. Had and extensively used a US Airways BAC visa for years. Cancelled it when had enough for needed awards right before BAC sold the credit card division to Barclays. Then needed more miles (US Airways upped the requirement) and tried to obtain a new Barclays visa with a 25,000 award. Plowed thru the history with the CSR - no problem she said. Then denied due to being a previous customer. Tad irritating. Called back to fuss - politely - and CSR *told* me to apply for the business card. Did - no problem & just booked the award tickets.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
Deal with this calmly. If they don't increase your credit, call back and ask to move some of your credit line from another card to this one. For example make this one 5000 and reduce the remaining ones by a total of 4000.
Citi has been steadfast to refuse re-allocation of credit lines in the past 18 months, even though both Chase and AMEX have relaxed after the C.A.R.D. law finally came in effect and offered to re-allocate lines. So far I have not seen Citi budged. We have tried every month to reallocate some line to a particular Citi card without any success. Though we have not called the CEO's office yet.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I got denied because i already had the card, funny thing is I applied for a Visa and I really didn't think I had a AA Visa before.

I wonder if I should have opened a new FF acount with American.

I am going to apply for my dad this week and I know he has never had the AA Visa

"Thank you for applying for the Citi(R) Platinum Select(R) /
AAdvantage(R) Visa Signature(R) account. Unfortunately, we are
unable to approve your request for the account at this time
because of the following:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R)
/ AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that
you previously had a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account
with us that is now closed."
It goes by your SSN. I have friend left the FF number blank and is denied for the same reason.

By now people should learned from reading that Citi only has 2 categories - personal and business - all types in the same category are lumped together so it does not matter which type of personal card you have had in the past, MC, AMEX or Visa - it is still a personal card and you would get denied unless you are very lucky to somehow slip through the screening process.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Finally approved 18 days later...no idea what the delay might have been, as they asked for no additional information when I called. Weird.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chillg8r
Yea, I thought of that too and will do that as a last resort. Its just such a SUPREMELY stupid way of doing business on Citi's side.

aktchi- I tried that, they said thre was a law against it....
It is the recently passed C.A.R.D. Act. Some banks interpret it more rigidly than others. Neither Chase nor AMEX allowed re-allocation of lines during the period between 2008 till recently. However after the C.A.R.D. Act finally came into effect earlier this year, both banks now readily agree to re-allocation but Citi remains steadfastly refusal of such request.

OTOH, given both AMEX and Chase have paid back their TARP money, while Citi essentially is government owned (by way of the controlling number of shares), and has not paid back any TARP money, Citi may be subject to much more restrict requirements.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
By now people should learned from reading that Citi only has 2 categories - personal and business -
…but the rules for each category are different.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blakeIV
I ended up applying for the personal card even though I have an active citi AA MC that I got 11 months ago. I did this AFTER I called the approval number, got a very friendly agent, and discussed my facts. (active citi AA MC, 11 months old, 4 total citi cards).

Basically, she said its facts and circumstances on the approval, even though its stated as "first time only". She said people with 10 citi cards have been approved, although some have to move the credit limits from another card. Said things that help are actually using the card, payment history, history with citi, etc.

This is just IMO, but that is why they have humans review the apps. Those that apply, get a bonus, and close or don't use a card aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt with citi on the next bonus.

I went ahead and applied since I've had the card for 11 month, use it as my primary card ($1k-$3k in charges per month) and pay it off in full each month. After the internet app, I called right back and a different friendly agent reviewed my app and said I had maxed out my total credit with citi. He offered to move a limit from another card and I accepted. Before he could give me a final ok, he said the computer indicated another level of review must happen (7-10 days, blah, blah, blah). So I am in snail mail limbo on that personal one. Glad the business card has already been approved!

My story aside, if you want to apply for ANOTHER citi AA card. Look at your history on your citi AA card and you can probably have an idea if you have a shot or not.

Hope that helps!!!
I suspect the review is for the manual review of the "first time" clause.

Please do report back if you eventually get your card. It has been reported in the recent past (just a few months ago) that people got instant approval or delayed approval on the phone after online application and still received denials based on the "first-time customer" clause.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QL_714
…but the rules for each category are different.
Correct. However people keep mixing "types" versus "categories".

How many times we have read questions about, but "I have never had an AMEX / Visa personal cards before...."? It makes no difference among MC, AMEX or Visa personal cards.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Citi has been steadfast to refuse re-allocation of credit lines in the past 18 months, even though both Chase and AMEX have relaxed after the C.A.R.D. law finally came in effect and offered to re-allocate lines. So far I have not seen Citi budged. We have tried every month to reallocate some line to a particular Citi card without any success. Though we have not called the CEO's office yet.
I was able to citi to reallocate from an AA cards to affiliate cards (associates bank about 24 months ago, and american dental associate about 12 months ago). But, I think I was lucky. I know some people weren't able to do it that tried w/ the same cards. Not sure if you can try and hang up and repeat w/ any success. Maybe try to get switched over to a credit analyst.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.