Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by DealsRock
I've been wondering the same thing ... Anyone have success with an 18-21 y.o. student application using same household income?
Thx.
Not with this particular card since I no longer live with my parents. But I used household income (parents) when I was in college the past four years, and went through about five different Citi cards.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:20 pm

When to cancel unused AA cards

Originally Posted by Happy
See post 397 and post 399 - the data points are just the latest among previous reported same scenario which the common theme is, previous cardholder, no difference whether AA card remains open or close a few months ago.

Sure, there is always lucky cases where the previous customer status does not matter - but it is more like "getting lucky" then it is the norm.
Canceling previous cards does look bad. If I was making decisions and saw someone had just canceled a card (especially when there was no obvious reason, such as avoiding an annual fee)it would be a sign that they did not value the opportunity to earn American Airline miles much (not enough to use their card to earn them). If they really had intentions of using a AA card in the future (even if just to buy AA tickets), you would expect them to retain the card (at least until just before the annual fee was charged).

If they were applying for a card of a different type (say had a personal card and was now applying for a business card), it could be they did value miles but for some reason had not used the other card recently (possibly because they were earning more on another card). There would still be hope the new card would be used, especially since the reason for not using the first card might not apply to a card of a different type.

This argument led me to not cancel my personal card (little used recently) before applying for a business card. The little activity had been primarily to show some activity on the AA account to be sure several hundred thousand miles were not lost due to inactivity. A side benefit may be that this little activity makes it look a little less as if I was applying for a business card just for the bonus miles.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: Any and All
Has this offer expired? Does anyone have a current, working link to the 50,000/50,000 offer?

The only offer I can find is for a Citi AAdvantage card with 30,000 bonus points.

I've looked through this thread and found numerous links that bounce to the citi main page. I called Citi Cards and the said the only offer they have is for 30,000 bonus points.

Could someone please help me out and tell me how to find the 50,000/50,000 offer?

thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MilesDavis11
Has this offer expired? Does anyone have a current, working link to the 50,000/50,000 offer?

I've looked through this thread
page 59
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: US Plat; AA; DL
Originally Posted by MilesDavis11

The only offer I can find is for a Citi AAdvantage card with 30,000 bonus points.

I've looked through this thread and found numerous links that bounce to the citi main page. I called Citi Cards and the said the only offer they have is for 30,000 bonus points.

Could someone please help me out and tell me how to find the 50,000/50,000 offer?

thanks!
Expiration is October 31, 2010.

Best set of links I know of is in post 201. Probably what you're describing as "bounce to the citi main page" IS the correct behavior. There is no webpage that cites the bonus terms for these offers. You'll have to trust that the links provided do what they say (although quite a few people have posted confirmations).

-B
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:34 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ed765
Canceling previous cards does look bad. ...
The reasoning in this post is logical. But ... The card biz marketing madness is not logical.

IMHO (and I have gotten and helped others to get at least several million credit card AA miles), today, you are not likely to get a new AA card if you have several, already opened AA Citi accounts on your record.

Does it make sense? Not to me--but, then, I didn't sell Citi billions of miles at a super-discount, as rumor has it a certain airline did.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA
I know this has been answered before but I really don't want read thru all 60ish pages. I read that Citi AAdvantage card can't be churned. But I also read that one can reapply the same card after 18 month. Is it true? If it is, is it 18 month from the date of application or the date of cancellation? Thx!!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Hi5z
I know this has been answered before but I really don't want read thru all 60ish pages. I read that Citi AAdvantage card can't be churned. But I also read that one can reapply the same card after 18 month. Is it true? If it is, is it 18 month from the date of application or the date of cancellation? Thx!!
I was denied because "this offer is for first time cardholders only", but my last citi card was only 9 months ago.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
It's a crap shoot. Some people have been approved (even within just a few months of a previous Citi AAdvantage card.) Others, who have 12+ months since they cancelled their card, have been denied. YMMV.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Thanks for all the information.

I'm thinking that I'll apply for the Business near the end of October (to be over 90 days from when my current Business card was applied for).

Do you think that I need to cancel my current one or just use another business name? What do the T&C state specifically?

Thanks!
People are having success with the biz card after 90 days? I missed that.

And it may be possible for one individual to get multiple business cards? That would be nice.

I'd been planning to apply for a personal Visa since I've never had one (got an AmEx & Biz in May, cancelled in July) . Maybe I should put my chances in another biz instead.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by txrandom
Not with this particular card since I no longer live with my parents. But I used household income (parents) when I was in college the past four years, and went through about five different Citi cards.
My son had tried a couple of times for a CC with bonus miles, (A Sony card and Amex), and was turned down for both due to insufficient credit history. He has since picked up a Capitol One card a month ago but with no bonus. I am thinking he would be turned down again due to lack of history, unless I cosigned with him.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyupfront
It's a crap shoot. Some people have been approved (even within just a few months of a previous Citi AAdvantage card.) Others, who have 12+ months since they cancelled their card, have been denied. YMMV.
If you can handle the inquiry on your credit report, I think it is worth going for this card. My parents, wife, and I each have citi personal and biz cards w/ varying lengths on each card (almost a year ago on personal and biz for wife and me; more than that for my folks). My parents are canceling their personal and biz cards this month, and will be applying for new personal and biz cards later in September. My wife will probably close the biz and keep the personal, then apply for personal and biz at end of September. I will keep one personal and biz card (have two of each currently, and one to keep one of each for coin purchases), and apply for new ones in late September. So, I should have some interesting data points later next month.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:27 am

AA Business Card Question

I have had a number of Citi AA cards in the past; however I would really like to get in on this 75,000 mile offer. After reading numerous posts, it seems like my best chance at getting another AA card is to sign up for a business account, although I do not have a business. If I sign up for a business account as a Sole Proprietorship, what should I put down for my occupation? I am actually retired, but I'm not sure if I should put down that I'm retired.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
If you read through this thread (and many others on FT), that question is asked and answered about 100 times...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: AA, UA Gold, SPG, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyupfront
I ended up applying for the personal card even though I have an active citi AA MC that I got 11 months ago. I did this AFTER I called the approval number, got a very friendly agent, and discussed my facts. (active citi AA MC, 11 months old, 4 total citi cards).

Basically, she said its facts and circumstances on the approval, even though its stated as "first time only". She said people with 10 citi cards have been approved, although some have to move the credit limits from another card. Said things that help are actually using the card, payment history, history with citi, etc.

This is just IMO, but that is why they have humans review the apps. Those that apply, get a bonus, and close or don't use a card aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt with citi on the next bonus.

I went ahead and applied since I've had the card for 11 month, use it as my primary card ($1k-$3k in charges per month) and pay it off in full each month. After the internet app, I called right back and a different friendly agent reviewed my app and said I had maxed out my total credit with citi. He offered to move a limit from another card and I accepted. Before he could give me a final ok, he said the computer indicated another level of review must happen (7-10 days, blah, blah, blah). So I am in snail mail limbo on that personal one. Glad the business card has already been approved!

My story aside, if you want to apply for ANOTHER citi AA card. Look at your history on your citi AA card and you can probably have an idea if you have a shot or not.

Hope that helps!!!

Last edited by blakeIV; Aug 16, 2010 at 8:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.