Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Whoa,

Originally Posted by PlanoFlyer
How long after I rec'd the bonus do I need to wait before cancelling? How long after cards have been canceled do I generally need to wait before reapplying for new cards? THX!
Whoa slow down a little. It's not 2008 any more.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage LTPlatinum, SPG Gold, SWA, RCCL Platinum
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Whoa slow down a little. It's not 2008 any more.
i know the churning days are over, but it is my understanding that it hasn't turned into a "once in a lifetime" either.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:08 am

My denial re-cap

As always, YMMV, but here is a summary of my denial for those on the fence.

Received personal CitiAA Amex and CitiAA biz cards earlier this year. First time ever with CitiAA cards. Both still active, but hardly used.

Applied 2 days ago and did not use the "shortcut for existing customers" but instead started the application from scratch. At step 3 got the "one week" message.

Called yesterday to learn I had been denied. Received this email today:

Why we're writing you
Thank you for applying for the Citi(R) Platinum Select(R) /
AAdvantage(R) Visa Signature(R) account. Unfortunately, we are
unable to approve your request for the account at this time
because of the following:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R)
/ AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that
you already have a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account with us.

Here's what you should know
Our credit decision was based, in whole or in part, on
information obtained in a report from the following consumer
reporting agency:

Experian
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013-0036
1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:43 am

Just checked Experian and they DID do a hard pull. It is listed on my credit report as "CITIBANK"
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PlanoFlyer
i know the churning days are over, but it is my understanding that it hasn't turned into a "once in a lifetime" either.
Then you should know that no one can answer your question.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by airshadow
Just checked Experian and they DID do a hard pull. It is listed on my credit report as "CITIBANK"
Thanks for the data point! I remembered you from the BA thread.

I got a similar situation as you and was denied for the personal card. (found out via the citi number). I haven't received the denial via email yet. Also waiting for the decision on the business card (I got the lower bonus email, but applied via the link here). I hope that works out...
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by airshadow
Called yesterday to learn I had been denied. Received this email today:

Our records indicate that
you already have a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account with us.
Although there are a few claims to getting approval (not the actual card mind you, but at least initial approval) despite having a current account open, your experience would lead me to believe one may have a better shot at getting the card if there are no current accounts open at time of application. Closing any current accounts would at least force them to take their search one step further instead of having an obvious open account making it that much easier for them to make a denial decision.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by brasov02
your experience would lead me to believe one may have a better shot at getting the card if there are no current accounts open at time of application. Closing any current accounts would at least force them to take their search one step further instead of having an obvious open account making it that much easier for them to make a denial decision.
According to forum folklore, one should also wait 3 days or so after closing accounts so the closure is properly reflected across all Citi databases used in reviewing new apps.

We recently took Mrs B all the way to zero Citi accounts -- dropped her sock-drawered Premier Pass and Diamond Preferred cards -- and are now waiting for the 60-day mark since her last app (denied AA Amex). I've also canceled all my AA cards (am down to one TYP card with a low credit limit) and plan to wait for 3 days. Will report on the results of the new apps shortly.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:36 am

Did everyone get an application ID number? All I saw was a message that application will be reviewed, but maybe I missed the ID number somewhere.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:45 am

You need to hit continue and then it will be given the application number (if your application is NOT instantly approved)

What I don't understand is that I did not receive the application number when my application was approved. I applied for 2 cards. One is approved (with no application number) and one is being reviewed (with application number).

I tried calling the number and asked for my approved card but they could not help me. Sigh....

Originally Posted by vrbaba
Did everyone get an application ID number? All I saw was a message that application will be reviewed, but maybe I missed the ID number somewhere.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by vrbaba
No, for the personal card, I didn't get an application # just that it will be reviewed and I would be notified. Also, no way to continue to step 4 or 5. That app was denied.

For anyone who may find this helpful, I was denied even though I do not have any active AA cards, so there goes the theory that non active cardholders would be treated differently. I'm pretty sure that they have a system that flags it by SSN, but as always, YMMV.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
I was denied even though I do not have any active AA cards, so there goes the theory that non active cardholders would be treated differently. I'm pretty sure that they have a system that flags it by SSN, but as always, YMMV.
Actually the theory is still good since the theory doesn't claim that EVERYONE who closes all their accounts before applying will be approved but just that it might help and we also know that some non-active cardholders are treated differently. As far as being treated equal goes, some active cardholders are getting approved for heaven's sake. What sense does that make? (I'm notbitter.) We're just saying not having any active accounts seems to have helped some in getting an approval despite being a previous cardholder. But, as you well know, there's obviously no magic formula for an approval.

Last edited by brasov02; Jul 31, 2010 at 1:00 pm
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: Not Worthy...
I opened my first Citi AA card (business MC) back in April, and it is still open. I received the 40k offer in my email, but found the 75k link on boarding area. Got the instant approval for Personal Visa and confirmed with the CSR that I had received the 75k offer.

Last edited by MMSB01; Jul 31, 2010 at 1:47 pm Reason: left out card type
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:10 pm

Me too

Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
No, for the personal card, I didn't get an application # just that it will be reviewed and I would be notified. Also, no way to continue to step 4 or 5. That app was denied.

For anyone who may find this helpful, I was denied even though I do not have any active AA cards, so there goes the theory that non active cardholders would be treated differently. I'm pretty sure that they have a system that flags it by SSN, but as always, YMMV.
I found my self and Sra. T in the same coach section. We had cancelled all cards months ago. Oh well. The email we each received was that the cards applied for were for first time customers only.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:38 pm

I still have 2 citibusiness cards active so will try to go with personal amex later next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.