Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided.

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The question is: do you really want to spend $2000? Here is a thread: Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Michael Wright
I hope that I’m posting this correctly. It’s my first time and this is a bit confusing. I need help with a mileage run but I’d prefer to do business class. I need 25k PQMs for Platinum status.

Departure Airport: IAD (DCA & BWI are ok)
Miles Needed: 25,000
Required Spend or Budget: Budget is $2,000
Available Travel Dates: Any weekend (Friday through Sunday) until end of 2018
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA
Route(s) You've Already Searched: IAD > BOS > LAX > FLL > SEA > IAD

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You want to earn 25,000 PQMs in one trip and are willing to spend $2,000 to do so? And it has to be in one weekend? Your searches seem to indicate only CONUS (continental US) travel - in order to get that kind of mileage, you'll likely need to do at least one international run - are you able to travel outside of the US?

David
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You want to earn 25,000 PQMs in one trip and are willing to spend $2,000 to do so? And it has to be in one weekend? Your searches seem to indicate only CONUS (continental US) travel - in order to get that kind of mileage, you'll likely need to do at least one international run - are you able to travel outside of the US?

David
Yes, I’m able to go int’l but any int’l trip in business class that I looked at was way over $2k.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The question is: do you really want to spend $2000? Here is a thread:
I guess that you’re suggesting that it might not be worth it. After reading the thread that you linked, it looks like people don’t really value Platinum status on UA. I’m really a newbie to the extent that I have in the past (4 years ago) forfeited 25k Miles because of no activity. I had no clue about status. I wasn’t paying attention because I hated flying in economy but I couldn’t afford to pay for business class either. Fast forward to this summer, I travel a bunch more and almost exclusively in the premium cabins so I enjoy the flights much more and began to pay attention the the frequent flyer programs.

I guess that I became intoxicated with the idea of “status” even though I have yet to get any benefits from it. I’m currently only silver but will be gold in October. All the benefits that I’ve had so far are a function of the fact that I’m paying for the premium cabin (e.g., Polaris lounge access, priority lane/baggage etc.) even if they are discounted tickets. After reading the thread, it looks like chasing status might not even be worth it for me if I’m not willing to purchase economy tickets. I guess that I’ll just chill out and enjoy gold while it lasts.

Thanks!
Kmxu likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I’m able to go int’l but any int’l trip in business class that I looked at was way over $2k.
I hope that I’m posting this correctly. It’s my first time and this is a bit confusing. I need help with a mileage run but I’d prefer to do business class. I need 25k PQMs for Platinum status.
But are you willing to a) fly more than one run to achieve a total of at least 25K PQMs and b) not in business only?

David
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:52 am

I guess that you’re suggesting that it might not be worth it. After reading the thread that you linked, it looks like people don’t really value Platinum status on UA. I’m really a newbie to the extent that I have in the past (4 years ago) forfeited 25k Miles because of no activity. I had no clue about status. I wasn’t paying attention because I hated flying in economy but I couldn’t afford to pay for business class either. Fast forward to this summer, I travel a bunch more and almost exclusively in the premium cabins so I enjoy the flights much more and began to pay attention the the frequent flyer programs.

I guess that I became intoxicated with the idea of “status” even though I have yet to get any benefits from it. I’m currently only silver but will be gold in October. All the benefits that I’ve had so far are a function of the fact that I’m paying for the premium cabin (e.g., Polaris lounge access, priority lane/baggage etc.) even if they are discounted tickets. After reading the thread, it looks like chasing status might not even be worth it for me if I’m not willing to purchase economy tickets. I guess that I’ll just chill out and enjoy gold while it lasts.

Thanks!
I am glad that you read that thread. The difference between gold and platinum is negligible (e.g., 8x vs. 9x PQD for redeemable miles). The gold status will allow you lounge access when you travel internationally. You can also visit both LH and TK lounges at Terminal B at IAD even when you travel domestically (see this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lounge-12.html). Once you reach Platinum and you need to spend $2000 for achieving 1K, the answer will be very different. If you are able to use Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) certificates, it is worth. Otherwise, save the money.
Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I am glad that you read that thread. The difference between gold and platinum is negligible (e.g., 8x vs. 9x PQD for redeemable miles). The gold status will allow you lounge access when you travel internationally. You can also visit both LH and TK lounges at Terminal B at IAD even when you travel domestically (see this thread Once you reach Platinum and you need to spend $2000 for achieving 1K, the answer will be very different. If you are able to use Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) certificates, it is worth. Otherwise, save the money.
Cheers.
Thanks for the info. I’ve gotten caught up in the hype, I guess. I’m adjusting my travel habits to take advantage of the lounges. I usually try to take the earliest flight without any layovers. Now, I’m open to the noontime flights so I can get to the airport and try the lounges but I’ve been reading disappointing things about the United Clubs in general, at least the domestic lounges. I’ve only been to the United Club at Narita and the Polaris lounge at Newark. I was less impressed with the food offerings at Narita lounge but it was otherwise comfortable and clean. The Polaris lounge at Newark had decent food on the breakfast a la carte menu and buffet for the dinner menu. I’m interested in trying *alliance lounges if they are better reviewed than United Clubs. It sounds like the only thing that the United Clubs have over the USO lounges is that they are airside and serve alcohol but I don’t drink much anyway.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
But are you willing to a) fly more than one run to achieve a total of at least 25K PQMs and b) not in business only?

David
Yes, I’m willing to do more than one run. I guess that I could do economy plus but I don’t want to be in that seat over 3 hours. If it is longer than 3.5 hours, it’s gotta be business or first. In any case, I’ve been convinced that spending $2k on a mileage run for Platinum is likely not worth it.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:37 pm

Hey everyone,

Departure Airport: JFK/EWR/MUC/FRA
Miles Needed:12k
Required Spend or Budget:up to $1200
Available Travel Dates:pretty much all the time until late November
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:Star Alliance
Route(s) You've Already Searched: FRA-SIN

I'm trying to reach Star Alliance Gold status with Asiana. I still need 12k until the end of November. I also would prefer flying in Premium Economy.
So if anybody has a good routing I would really appreciate it!

Thank You!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I’m willing to do more than one run. I guess that I could do economy plus but I don’t want to be in that seat over 3 hours. If it is longer than 3.5 hours, it’s gotta be business or first. In any case, I’ve been convinced that spending $2k on a mileage run for Platinum is likely not worth it.
As Platinum, 2 RPUs don't get you much but you would be in Group 1 boarding. $2k can buy a whole bunch of domestic upgrades. Good luck!

David
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by JimStreet
Hey everyone,

Departure Airport: JFK/EWR/MUC/FRA
Miles Needed:12k
Required Spend or Budget:up to $1200
Available Travel Dates:pretty much all the time until late November
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:Star Alliance
Route(s) You've Already Searched: FRA-SIN

I'm trying to reach Star Alliance Gold status with Asiana. I still need 12k until the end of November. I also would prefer flying in Premium Economy.
So if anybody has a good routing I would really appreciate it!

Thank You!
EWR-SFO-TPE-SFO-EWR for $1126 in booking code W, which earns 0.75 x distance (~0.75x18K). This should give you about 13.5K Asiana status miles. But it is not in Premium economy. You may want to check Premium Fares Deals thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/
Good luck.

Edit: EWR-HKG nonstop flight will give exactly 12K Asiana status miles for about the same price (in W class). The B777 used for this route is 3x3x3 in economy, vs. 3x4x3 for SFO-TPE.

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 19, 2018 at 6:48 pm Reason: EWR-HKG is less torturing (economy seats)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: United
Departure Airport: DEN
Miles Needed: 20K to get to 1K status
Required Spend or Budget: ~$1K or as cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: WKNDS THRU 2018
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: As long as they count toward the 20k

Route(s) You've Already Searched: <No visas>
Happy to do 2 or 3 trips if it makes sense financially. I've also noticed some biz class flights are pretty cheap. Obv, I'd love to fly that way if we can keep it around $1k. Thanks for all your help!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by jjmill203
Departure Airport: DEN
Miles Needed: 20K to get to 1K status
Required Spend or Budget: ~$1K or as cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: WKNDS THRU 2018
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: As long as they count toward the 20k

Route(s) You've Already Searched: <No visas>
Happy to do 2 or 3 trips if it makes sense financially. I've also noticed some biz class flights are pretty cheap. Obv, I'd love to fly that way if we can keep it around $1k. Thanks for all your help!
Just to make sure (before we look into this too much), have you met the PQD requirement already?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:46 pm

Star Alliance Mileage Run -- Looking for Input

Departure Airport: YYZ
Miles Needed: 100,000
Required Spend or Budget: Preferably under or around 3k
Available Travel Dates: October

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for taking a moment. I am trying to understand if the following is possible, and looking to this forum to help this idea take shape. I am trying to see if doing this over a 3 or 4 day period is possible. Yes, I do have access to lounge(s) at all locations, except HND.
YYZ-HND-LAX-FRA-EZE-LHR-YYZ

This is not about needing miles or a particular status, it's more about banking a lot of miles for less than I would pay for them outright.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by d_shern
Departure Airport: YYZ
Miles Needed: 100,000
Required Spend or Budget: Preferably under or around 3k
Available Travel Dates: October

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for taking a moment. I am trying to understand if the following is possible, and looking to this forum to help this idea take shape. I am trying to see if doing this over a 3 or 4 day period is possible. Yes, I do have access to lounge(s) at all locations, except HND.
YYZ-HND-LAX-FRA-EZE-LHR-YYZ

This is not about needing miles or a particular status, it's more about banking a lot of miles for less than I would pay for them outright.
I'm confused by this post...are you looking to get 100k miles in October, or just looking to see if it's possible to do a MR from YYZ-HND-LAX-FRA-EZE-LHR-YYZ in 3-4 days in October for a cheap price? You lost me somewhere along the way. YYZ-HND-LAX-FRA-EZE-LHR-YYZ is only 35k miles. Where did the 100k come from? And where did YYZ-HND-LAX-FRA-EZE-LHR-YYZ come from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.