Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided.

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by Kmxu
One of the trick flights in previous years is LGA-IAH-EWR-BQN and BQN-EWR-IAH-LGA for about $345. But United.com and United App does not give me the return trip. This trip would get you 8800 PQM. You may try to call United reservations to book it. An agent would be gladly waive the booking fees because you cannot book it yourself.
Good luck.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=L...420*.USD.34420
I seem to be able to book that trip through United.com by clicking on the "SELECT" link on the google flights page that you copy/pasted. Am I missing something? Granted, I haven't tried to go through the actual payment process for the flight, but I'm able to go through the reservation to select seats, etc.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I seem to be able to book that trip through United.com by clicking on the "SELECT" link on the google flights page that you copy/pasted. Am I missing something? Granted, I haven't tried to go through the actual payment process for the flight, but I'm able to go through the reservation to select seats, etc.
united.com has not behaved well recently. It might be related to my browser. So, I used the multiple search option on App. I can price out the outbound flights, but not inbound flights. I am very puzzled by this. OP's request is very difficult to satisfy. If he/she has Premier Gold status and above, you can easily use the same-day change option to get additional PQMs for his/her remaining trips for this year.

Add: You are right. I am able to connect the link to united.com using a different browser (Safari to Firefox). Cheers.
mpiotrow likes this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 3, 2018 at 8:30 am Reason: change browser
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:32 am

Yes different brower works for me as well. The dates I wanted are aug 25-26 or aug 31 - sep 1. Good to learn tricks from the pros
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:36 am

Not a gold member, just silver.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by chetal
Yes different brower works for me as well. The dates I wanted are aug 25-26 or aug 31 - sep 1. Good to learn tricks from the pros
Neither of your desired dates had a good price for this itinerary or other destinations, unfortunately. Use the same google flight link, change to rount trip, change to your desired dates, and leave the destination empty. You will see a map with different prices for different destinations. Zoom in if necessary and choose your destination and search again. Good luck
chetal likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by chetal
Not a gold member, just silver.
SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up. See this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ions-wiki.html
I once was offered ORD-SFO-RDU (4246 miles) for last segment (ORD-RDU, Raleigh-Durham, 646 miles). Because of the lengthy waiting at SFO, I took ORD-DEN-RDU (2564 miles), instead. Once I boarded ORD-DEN flight, I changed DEN-RDU to DEN-IAD-RDU (2840 miles). The differnce between the flew flights and ORD-RDU was more than 2000 miles. If I took the ORD-SFO-RDU option, the difference was much higher.
So, check flight options on your App when you board the first segment of two-segment trip. If there is a wild option that works for you, you can pay for $75 for obtaining more PQMs.
Add: my first taste of SDC was BOS-EWR-RIC flight when there was no UA App. I used kiosk for doing it. At EWR, I changed EWR-RIC to EWR-CLE-RIC. Once I arrived at CLE, I changed CLE-RIC to CLE-EWR-RIC. I had a few hours to spend with my son who had an internship there. So, I got a free EWR-CLE round trip out of it.

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 3, 2018 at 12:44 pm Reason: Another example
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:54 pm

Thanks. That was a good tip
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA: 1k, AA: PL, Bonvoy: Plat, HHonors: Gold, Hertz: Pres
DEN MR

Departure Airport: DEN
Miles Needed: 28k
Required Spend or Budget: flexible
Available Travel Dates: very flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:UA or codeshare with upgrades

willing to possibly pay for higher class to get double PQM and good seats. No Global Upgrades left.

Thank you.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by western
Departure Airport: DEN
Miles Needed: 28k
Required Spend or Budget: flexible
Available Travel Dates: very flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:UA or codeshare with upgrades

willing to possibly pay for higher class to get double PQM and good seats. No Global Upgrades left.

Thank you.
Assuming that you do not need PQD, this business class itinerary should earn you enough PQM.
https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...71*.USD.272571
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA
Howdee! I'm looking for some help on how I can convert a trip to places I need to go (MCI, KOA, MEX) with accruing as many UA miles as possible.

Departure Airport: LAX (or basically anywhere in CA - I'm happy to bus it to somewhere.)
Miles Needed: 14,0000
Required Spend or Budget: $750
Available Travel Dates: 23 Sep - 3 Nov
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: As long as I can earn United EQM - that makes me happy

This is the routing I have so far (I can only seem to find the cheapest flights as one ways, not as multi-city searches)
LAX - SFO - MCI (PQM 1998)
DEN - SFO - KOA (PQM 3869)
KOA - LAX (~PQM 2500)
LAX - SFO - MEX (PQM 2218)

Total price: $782

Any suggestions?

Last edited by seacliffs; Aug 5, 2018 at 9:48 am
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
Originally Posted by seacliffs
Howdee! I'm looking for some help on how I can convert a trip to places I need to go with accruing as many UA miles as possible.

Departure Airport: LAX (or basically anywhere in CA - I'm happy to bus it to somewhere.)
Miles Needed: 14,0000
Required Spend or Budget: $750
Available Travel Dates: 23 Sep - 3 Nov
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: As long as I can earn United EQM - that makes me happy

This is the routing I have so far (I can only seem to find the cheapest flights as one ways, not as multi-city searches)
LAX - SFO - MCI (PQM 1998)
DEN - SFO - KOA (PQM 3869)
KOA - LAX (~PQM 2500)
LAX - SFO - MEX (PQM 2218)

Total price: $782

Any suggestions?
From LAX, you can find ~$350 RT fares to SJU (ie. through ORD) during those dates. Each will give 7643 PQMs.
Two trips will cover your budget and PQM requirements.

ie. https://goo.gl/flights/FVGch
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by gsalem94122
From LAX, you can find ~$350 RT fares to SJU (ie. through ORD) during those dates. Each will give 7643 PQMs.
Two trips will cover your budget and PQM requirements.

ie. https://goo.gl/flights/FVGch
Thank you! I realize now that when I edited my post, I erased the part of that I need to fly to MCI, KOA, and MEX. I'm trying to find the most bang for the buck for those three spots. I hadn't considered Puerto Rico - a future trip.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by seacliffs
Thank you! I realize now that when I edited my post, I erased the part of that I need to fly to MCI, KOA, and MEX. I'm trying to find the most bang for the buck for those three spots. I hadn't considered Puerto Rico - a future trip.
If you are truly looking for a mileage run, you can do it over a long weekend, for example, LAX-SIN-LAX with one night in Singapore. This will give you 17,540 PQM for $827.01. Otherwise, you can play with ITA Matrix yourself to maximize PQMs for those trips, or same-day change opportunities for additional PQMs if you have a Premier Gold and up status. For example, the UA App may offer SFO-ORD-MCI for SFO-MCI, or 50% more PQMs. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=L...701*.USD.82701
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you are truly looking for a mileage run, you can do it over a long weekend, for example, LAX-SIN-LAX with one night in Singapore. This will give you 17,540 PQM for $827.01. Otherwise, you can play with ITA Matrix yourself to maximize PQMs for those trips, or same-day change opportunities for additional PQMs if you have a Premier Gold and up status. For example, the UA App may offer SFO-ORD-MCI for SFO-MCI, or 50% more PQMs. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=L...701*.USD.82701
I'm working with ITA Matrix now - I think I'm getting the hang of it (a little!). I don't know about the same-day change PQMs though - (although I don't have Gold yet - I will at the end of this!), How does that work for getting more EQMs? (Is there a forum I should read on that?) Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: united
Need Flight from EWR/LGA before Aug 11th

Departure Airport: EWR or LGA
Miles Needed: 11K
Required Spend or Budget: 750$
Available Travel Dates: Before August 11th
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA only

Route(s) You've Already Searched: Any that gives miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.