Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided.

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Have you met the PQD requirement that I mentioned? I noticed you took the related info out of your original post.
yes I have met the PQD.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Departure Airport: YYC (could get to YEG if there was a significant advantage)
Miles Needed: 15k Aeroplan AQM (have required AQD)
Required Spend or Budget: up to $2K CAD but preferably cheaper. Would like to travel in PE/J or fare upgradeable with eUps.
Available Travel Dates: Leave Thurs/Fri back Sunday weekends in late October and November
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Star Alliance
Route(s) You've Already Searched: YYC-DXB (PE), YYC-TPE (PE)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu

Yes! You will not miss the return flight. Use a different browser if the google flight does not link to United.com. Good luck.
I am going to do this but I am looking for one recommendation. I can do a 3:45 layover or 1.5 hr layover in IAH on the first leg (5:45 or 7:50am departure from LGA). Is that 7:50am flight from LGA - IAH likely to be significantly delayed or should I just take the really early flight and just use a club pass for the longer layover?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:34 pm

I want 1K, may be my only chance

So I am getting married and in 2019 we plan to travel a lot international so hoping to get some nice benefits. I am currently Gold with 53K miles and I am trying to acheive 1K by the end of the year. I have a couple weekends in Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec that I can leave on Thursday or Friday to return Sunday in time for work. I have posted before as a first timer but failed so I want to try again and see if anyone can help me acheive my goal. Please note the PQD has been met so I just need to hit that PQM. Big challenge but I am up for it. Thanks for your help and happy flying:
Departure Airport: ewr
Miles Needed: 47172
Required Spend or Budget: $2500 if possible. Willing to go higher for Premium seats if it makes this easier
Available Travel Dates: 9/21-9/23, Most Weekends in Oct and Nov and December.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Not sure what this means but I am already gold

Route(s) You've Already Searched: EWR-SFO, EWR-LAX, EWR-SEA.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by sportsnj
So I am getting married and in 2019 we plan to travel a lot international so hoping to get some nice benefits. I am currently Gold with 53K miles and I am trying to acheive 1K by the end of the year. I have a couple weekends in Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec that I can leave on Thursday or Friday to return Sunday in time for work. I have posted before as a first timer but failed so I want to try again and see if anyone can help me acheive my goal. Please note the PQD has been met so I just need to hit that PQM. Big challenge but I am up for it. Thanks for your help and happy flying:
Required Spend or Budget: $2500 if possible. Willing to go higher for Premium seats if it makes this easier
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Not sure what this means but I am already gold

It seems to me you're going to need to search a LOT further than just SFO, LAX, or SEA in order to get your 47K+ miles (or make a lot of transcon flights)! Have you tried searching anything else? Or do you only want to fly domestically? And as for "willing to go higher for Premium seats if it makes this easier", of course it would be easier to fly in business class, get 2 times the miles compared to economy, and not have to fly as many times. So, I'm not really sure where to start...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
It seems to me you're going to need to search a LOT further than just SFO, LAX, or SEA in order to get your 47K+ miles (or make a lot of transcon flights)! Have you tried searching anything else? Or do you only want to fly domestically? And as for "willing to go higher for Premium seats if it makes this easier", of course it would be easier to fly in business class, get 2 times the miles compared to economy, and not have to fly as many times. So, I'm not really sure where to start...
Hi, so I am willing to fly international. I just started searching, domestically I realized it wasn’t going to happen but I figured I would fill that question in. I don’t mind flying on a partner airline where I still get the miles, and actually wouldn’t mind it should the seats be more luxurious. Being a gold member I figure since I get economy plus maybe sticking with United is the best choice but I am newbie on this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold

Hi, so I am willing to fly international. I just started searching, domestically I realized it wasn’t going to happen but I figured I would fill that question in. I don’t mind flying on a partner airline where I still get the miles, and actually wouldn’t mind it should the seats be more luxurious. Being a gold member I figure since I get economy plus maybe sticking with United is the best choice but I am newbie on this.
You can do two round trips EWR-SIN for less than $2500 total and I think that is about 24k each.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:47 pm

Star Alliance Gold

Need some help to get gold this year. With all of AC new rules, it has been hard to keep track.... and I travelled without getting both AQM and AQDs which has never happened to me in my 30 years plus of flying. Apparently even if it is a "A" fare, there is no accumulation. Anyways, help please

Departure Airport: HKG
Miles Needed: about 25,000 AQM, nearly met AQD (last trip got AQM but no AQD credited yet, I assume it will soon happen)
Required Spend or Budget: about $US2,500
Available Travel Dates: weekends till Dec, and Dec 21 to Dec 31
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: yes as long as it allows me to earn status on AC
Route(s) You've Already Searched: HKG to YVR and HKG to SFO

Really hoping to get some insights as I have never been in this situation before.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by salisboss
You can do two round trips EWR-SIN for less than $2500 total and I think that is about 24k each.
You'd have to get pretty creative to get 24k out of a EWR-SIN trip. EWR-LAX-SIN-LAX-EWR is just under 22.5k. But, SIN is probably the best "bang for the buck" as far as CPM is concerned.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
EWR-TPE via SFO

$631 for 18K PQM; https://www.google.com/flights#flt=E...021*.USD.63031
You will need three such trips, or two trips plus one with 11,170 PQM.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:12 pm

That's a great question. I have about $9.7k in PQD so far and expect to pay ~$1000-1500 more as I book the next 12k miles I need to do for work, which will get me up to about 80k miles for the year. I'm going to be close with the PQD, even if I spend a full $1000 to get the last 20k I need to make 1k.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, Marriott Gold
I was planning to end out the year at a nice round 79000 PQM, but I might have 2 unplanned trips which should net me roughly 11k PQM. I figure I might as well push the extra 10k PQM to get 1K, since I’ve already hit the PQD.

Departure Airport: SEA
Miles Needed: ~11k PQM (to be safe)
Required Spend or Budget: $2000? Biasing towards premium cabins to reduce total butt in seat time.
Available Travel Dates: Pretty much every weekend
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: I need PQM, doesn’t have a metal requirement IIRC.
Route(s) You've Already Searched: SEA-EWR, SEA-IAH, SEA-AUS, SEA-MCO

SEA-SFO-MCO and MCO-IAH-SEA in First will get me 11700 PQM, but at ~10.7 CPM.

Best I've found is SEA-IAH-AUS in First for a weekend to get 9496 PQM for $792 (~8.34 CPM) - see the city at the same time, but I'm not married to it.

Thinking of trying a buyup for the remaining miles - upcoming DEN-SEA flight is offering an upgrade for $160, what I’m reading here suggests that it’ll get me 1024 more PQM for the class upgrade, but I’m not 100% sure.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ajgarett
I was planning to end out the year at a nice round 79000 PQM, but I might have 2 unplanned trips which should net me roughly 11k PQM. I figure I might as well push the extra 10k PQM to get 1K, since I’ve already hit the PQD.

Departure Airport: SEA
Miles Needed: ~11k PQM (to be safe)
Required Spend or Budget: $2000? Biasing towards premium cabins to reduce total butt in seat time.
Available Travel Dates: Pretty much every weekend
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: I need PQM, doesn’t have a metal requirement IIRC.
Route(s) You've Already Searched: SEA-EWR, SEA-IAH, SEA-AUS, SEA-MCO

SEA-SFO-MCO and MCO-IAH-SEA in First will get me 11700 PQM, but at ~10.7 CPM.

Best I've found is SEA-IAH-AUS in First for a weekend to get 9496 PQM for $792 (~8.34 CPM) - see the city at the same time, but I'm not married to it.

Thinking of trying a buyup for the remaining miles - upcoming DEN-SEA flight is offering an upgrade for $160, what I’m reading here suggests that it’ll get me 1024 more PQM for the class upgrade, but I’m not 100% sure.
It's more than you need--15338, 7cpm $1100.20
https://goo.gl/flights/sGX5v

I picked a random Friday night, but there are many dates available for the next few months.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: United MP 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pat89339
It's more than you need--15338, 7cpm $1100.20
I didn't think of outlying islands, was stuck thinking transcon. Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Hawaii?

Originally Posted by ajgarett
I didn't think of outlying islands, was stuck thinking transcon. Thanks!
Any of the Hawaii islands will do. In order to get a good price, you will have to drive to YVR. You may be able to get lie-flat bed segments from/to SFO. Good luck.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=S...931*.USD.93931

Edit: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=S...624*.USD.93624

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 25, 2018 at 10:07 am Reason: YVR-HNL with lie-flat bed between SFO and HNL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.