Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhIteSidE
Confirm your Tickets

MH and Cheaptickets are canceling these reservations. DO NOT ACCEPT a refund and they will rebook you.

As reported by JCM9608 it appears that some of these tickets or segments may be getting canceled. If your itinerary pops up on the flymas.mobi site then you're probably okay. If not, call cheapticekts and speak with them. They must honor the ticket, so don't take "No" or "We'll send you a refund" as an answer. You may need to speak to a manager / supervisor.

Multiple reports in this thread indicate that cheaptickets/MH will book you on a flight combination (possibly with a connection in NRT) if you push and don't accept a refund.

Booking

It has been reported that this books at Cheaptickets and Orbitz. Having problems viewing your ticket? Visit the FlyMAS Mobile Site and enter your information.

Routing

This fare appears to be eligable for End-on-End construction, so it should be possible to book cheap(ish) AA or US fares and tack them onto the ticket. In order to get to and from SFO.

Mileage Accrual

This fare is a Malaysian (MH) codeshare on Cathay (CX) metal.

Cathay: No mileage accrual
Malaysian: 70% mileage accrual
American: 50% mileage accrual
US Airways: 50% mileage accrual

And remember, DON'T CALL THE AIRLINES while a deal is ongoing.
Print Wikipost

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:16 pm

I think DOT complaints can be directed here:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

Additionally, I believe complaints should be specified for Malaysian Airlines, though Cheap Tickets and Cathay are both listed on the site as well.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by 1LuckyGuy
I think DOT complaints can be directed here:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

Additionally, I believe complaints should be specified for Malaysian Airlines, though Cheap Tickets and Cathay are both listed on the site as well.
I mentioned all parties and their relationship in the complaint just in case.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
In the same boat here, mobi site is missing SFO-HKG segment and eticket numbers, but the app is unchanged. My CC was charged, and the purchase also tracked on Barclays Rewardboost for 940 points.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by portishead
In the same boat here, mobi site is missing SFO-HKG segment and eticket numbers, but the app is unchanged. My CC was charged, and the purchase also tracked on Barclays Rewardboost for 940 points.
How interesting that you are missing your SFO-HKG segment and I am missing my HKG-SFO segment.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
Yes I know the rule is to not call, but I think there are strategic ways to call in order for you to get the information you want/need. I've been doing this for a while now, and here I am sharing with you some data points for consideration only.

I had 3 tickets booked SFO-HKG-SFO for mid-sept.
Based on the comments above, I checked the mobile site- indeed one of my segment is not there. The segment that was there wast the SFO-HKG, but the return flight (HKG-SFO) was no longer there, and per many of you, the ticket number is no longer there.

I had taken a snapshot of it a few days ago, so thankfully I have that as back up.

I just got off with the MH agent and this is what transpired:
- Asked to obtain my e-ticket # (though I already knew it) via 5-digit reference/PNR.
- confirmed that the e-ticket existed and was the same # as the original e-ticket number.
-she only mentioned about the outbound, so I asked why she did not mention my return flight.
- I confirmed with her twice, that the PNR does show both segments (departure and return flights) but the e-ticket shows only the departure flight and that the return flight is invalid,and that I would need to have cheaptickets call MH to confirm the ticket since they are the travel agency.
- I told them that I spoke to Cheaptickets and they were telling me the same thing (strategically seeing how she'd respond) and she insisted that the issuing ticket was from the agent so i would need to speak to them.

Long story short, if time permits, I may let cheaptickets duke it out with MH and see what happens.

The tickets are for 3 relatives so I need to ensure they have a return flight back. lol.

Anyways, would love to hear other's experiences as this unfolds.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Speedis1
Yes I know the rule is to not call, but I think there are strategic ways to call in order for you to get the information you want/need. I've been doing this for a while now, and here I am sharing with you some data points for consideration only.

I had 3 tickets booked SFO-HKG-SFO for mid-sept.
Based on the comments above, I checked the mobile site- indeed one of my segment is not there. The segment that was there wast the SFO-HKG, but the return flight (HKG-SFO) was no longer there, and per many of you, the ticket number is no longer there.

I had taken a snapshot of it a few days ago, so thankfully I have that as back up.

I just got off with the MH agent and this is what transpired:
- Asked to obtain my e-ticket # (though I already knew it) via 5-digit reference/PNR.
- confirmed that the e-ticket existed and was the same # as the original e-ticket number.
-she only mentioned about the outbound, so I asked why she did not mention my return flight.
- I confirmed with her twice, that the PNR does show both segments (departure and return flights) but the e-ticket shows only the departure flight and that the return flight is invalid,and that I would need to have cheaptickets call MH to confirm the ticket since they are the travel agency.
- I told them that I spoke to Cheaptickets and they were telling me the same thing (strategically seeing how she'd respond) and she insisted that the issuing ticket was from the agent so i would need to speak to them.

Long story short, if time permits, I may let cheaptickets duke it out with MH and see what happens.

The tickets are for 3 relatives so I need to ensure they have a return flight back. lol.

Anyways, would love to hear other's experiences as this unfolds.
I'm on the phone with a Cheaptickets supervisor right now. My case was escalated 2 days ago to a "special department" and there has been no response so he is personally following up and reaching out to their ticketing department as well as CX and MH. I'm on hold but will post updates as I have them. I got lucky; he's a nice one so maybe that will get me somewhere.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Speedis1
I have some relatives I'd love to "inadvertently" get one-way tickets to somewhere far away...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by JCM9608
I'm on the phone with a Cheaptickets supervisor right now. My case was escalated 2 days ago to a "special department" and there has been no response so he is personally following up and reaching out to their ticketing department as well as CX and MH. I'm on hold but will post updates as I have them. I got lucky; he's a nice one so maybe that will get me somewhere.
I just got off the phone with supervisor. They are going to work something out and this will be resolved within the next 24-48 hours. I got the supervisor's e-mail address and he is sending me confirmation of our phone call and what they are going to do. At the end of the day, he said I will be flying and I will be going on this trip, at no extra cost to me even if that means rebooking me onto another airline. In the ideal situation, they will be able to confirm me directly on Cathay Pacific for the same itinerary. Since I ultimately bought the ticket from Cheaptickets.com, they are saying they will take responsibility to make sure I get to my destination on those dates. I explained that I have other flights arranged after my arrival in HKG and I said I could fly out earlier or return to SFO later, but I can't fly out later and come back earlier.

FWIW, he spoke to his ticketing department and they were saying that this is not the first time that they have had issues like this with Malaysia Airlines causing huge problems. Also, MH has really incompetent customer service agents and reservation agents. You'll be running around in a circle if you try to talk to them and they aren't helpful.

I hope this pans out for everyone else as well. I will still keep you all updated as I know more.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Thank you so much JCM9608 for everything you're doing! It's reassuring to hear that from cheaptickets although it's just verbal at this point.

Just think though when we finally get on our flights, it'll be that much more special after going through all this.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
Thanks for making the call!
Once you get yours resolved, would you be able to PM me his contact info so I can work on my ticket? I'd appreciate it!

Originally Posted by JCM9608
I just got off the phone with supervisor. They are going to work something out and this will be resolved within the next 24-48 hours. I got the supervisor's e-mail address and he is sending me confirmation of our phone call and what they are going to do. At the end of the day, he said I will be flying and I will be going on this trip, at no extra cost to me even if that means rebooking me onto another airline. In the ideal situation, they will be able to confirm me directly on Cathay Pacific for the same itinerary. Since I ultimately bought the ticket from Cheaptickets.com, they are saying they will take responsibility to make sure I get to my destination on those dates. I explained that I have other flights arranged after my arrival in HKG and I said I could fly out earlier or return to SFO later, but I can't fly out later and come back earlier.

FWIW, he spoke to his ticketing department and they were saying that this is not the first time that they have had issues like this with Malaysia Airlines causing huge problems. Also, MH has really incompetent customer service agents and reservation agents. You'll be running around in a circle if you try to talk to them and they aren't helpful.

I hope this pans out for everyone else as well. I will still keep you all updated as I know more.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:47 pm

For those calling, did you get a cancellation call from cheaptickets.com, or are you just paranoid?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
What a mob of "hard cases" you lot are !

We have a airline, that in the last 3 months have about 600 deaduns (including 30 odd crew) on their hands.
Now, nobody want's to fly with them ever again, financially they are going backwards, and then this .........

Could you just give the knife a hard tweak (rotating action) as you plunge it into their heart - make sure both chambers are trashed.

Talk about kicking them while they are down - phew
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by in2it54
Talk about kicking them while they are down - phew
It's their fault this time for filing the wrong fare. Their decision if they want to be stupid and cancel them as it will cost then far more in DoT fines then it would if they just flew people. It's not even such an amazing fare, it's often only about $100-200 more.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Called cheaptickets today, they will can refund the money but the flight is cancelled and nothing they can do.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by caimaster
Called cheaptickets today, they will can refund the money but the flight is cancelled and nothing they can do.
Don't be a pushover. Threaten DoT action!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.