Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhIteSidE
Confirm your Tickets

MH and Cheaptickets are canceling these reservations. DO NOT ACCEPT a refund and they will rebook you.

As reported by JCM9608 it appears that some of these tickets or segments may be getting canceled. If your itinerary pops up on the flymas.mobi site then you're probably okay. If not, call cheapticekts and speak with them. They must honor the ticket, so don't take "No" or "We'll send you a refund" as an answer. You may need to speak to a manager / supervisor.

Multiple reports in this thread indicate that cheaptickets/MH will book you on a flight combination (possibly with a connection in NRT) if you push and don't accept a refund.

Booking

It has been reported that this books at Cheaptickets and Orbitz. Having problems viewing your ticket? Visit the FlyMAS Mobile Site and enter your information.

Routing

This fare appears to be eligable for End-on-End construction, so it should be possible to book cheap(ish) AA or US fares and tack them onto the ticket. In order to get to and from SFO.

Mileage Accrual

This fare is a Malaysian (MH) codeshare on Cathay (CX) metal.

Cathay: No mileage accrual
Malaysian: 70% mileage accrual
American: 50% mileage accrual
US Airways: 50% mileage accrual

And remember, DON'T CALL THE AIRLINES while a deal is ongoing.
Print Wikipost

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by JCM9608
August 17, 2014 at 5:02 AM
I called Malaysian Airlines and Cathay Pacific and asked for supervisors. They both know of the error and all tickets will be cancelled. They said to go to your booking agent for refund.
It's got to be a troll, right? I mean no one would actually do this? Right? Right...?

Dammit people, this is why we cannot have nice things.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
It's got to be a troll, right? I mean no one would actually do this? Right? Right...?

Dammit people, this is why we cannot have nice things.
Of course people would do that. As soon as some people have their ticket all bets are off, as they have gotten their benefit and nothing else matters. What? Affecting other people? There are all sorts of people don't give a damn about anybody else except themselves. Whether it be the parents on a flight that let their kids run rampant terrorizing other people, or killing a deal once they have partaken in it.

Even in other threads here when somebody has called the airline and been caught and lambasted, they act all smug and say they did nothing wrong, find all sorts of excuses, and say they have no problem with their actions.

Whenever a deal comes up here on FT I can just about guarantee somebody is killing the deal due to being selfish, whether we hear about it or not. It's just the world we live in today, the "me me me" mentality.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
The most nervous of the bunch called and reported back with this. So much for telling her to chill and take it easy!

August 17, 2014 at 5:02 AM
I called Malaysian Airlines and Cathay Pacific and asked for supervisors. They both know of the error and all tickets will be cancelled. They said to go to your booking agent for refund.

Read more: http://www.theflightdeal.com/2014/08...#ixzz3AedoZASd
As a veteran of 4 F/J class jumbo sales I can safely tell you chill and take it easy!

No matter what the airlines tell you (it's too early for them to have contacted the relevant departments for opinions) DoT regulation 399.88(a) unequivocally states that airlines are not allowed to (1) increase the price of a ticket post-purchase (2) or to cancel said ticket in lieu of increasing the price and (3) even if that price was later deemed to be a mistake. If they do they can be fined up to $20,000 per incident (and each ticket is it's own incident).

If you need proof head over to the Etihad $1400 round trip ex-CMB F-class thread.

Not every time will always be identical but we've seen a *lot* of precedent for the way the airlines are required to (and will) handle these situations.

All that said, my lord, know what you are getting yourself into. If you can't handle the risks or the way these things go down why on earth would you have spent half a thousand dollars in the first place? It's absurd.

[edit] Not to mention IMO these types of sales are usually better/safer than full priced tickets. They're required to fly you, but while the terms may say they're not refundable, the airline would probably much rather get you out than fly you. They may just become fully refundable tickets at your discretion.

Last edited by arcticbull; Aug 17, 2014 at 3:31 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by arcticbull
As a veteran of 4 F/J class jumbo sales I can safely tell you chill and take it easy!

No matter what the airlines tell you (it's too early for them to have contacted the relevant departments for opinions) DoT regulation 399.88(a) unequivocally states that airlines are not allowed to (1) increase the price of a ticket post-purchase (2) or to cancel said ticket in lieu of increasing the price and (3) even if that price was later deemed to be a mistake. If they do they can be fined up to $20,000 per incident (and each ticket is it's own incident).

If you need proof head over to the Etihad $1400 round trip ex-CMB F-class thread.

Not every time will always be identical but we've seen a *lot* of precedent for the way the airlines are required to (and will) handle these situations.

All that said, my lord, know what you are getting yourself into. If you can't handle the risks or the way these things go down why on earth would you have spent half a thousand dollars in the first place? It's absurd.

[edit] Not to mention IMO these types of sales are usually better/safer than full priced tickets. They're required to fly you, but while the terms may say they're not refundable, the airline would probably much rather get you out than fly you. They may just become fully refundable tickets at your discretion.
It sounds like Lilian is saying that the routing/flight/codeshare never existed whereas I guess the other examples are all price based but I agree there is some type of precedence here that might have something going for us.

Based on DOT laws, if your credit card has been charged and/or you have received confirmation of the flights and the ticket, they must honor it but it sounds like for pricing errors...Not sure whether this routing thing counts. Being that the reservations all come up when you look on the MH website, this further confirms it. Cancellations by the airline(s) not allowed, price change not allowed. In this case, even if they say the flights did not exist, I believe they should still be upheld to get you tickets/that itinerary at that price with Cathay metal whether it be they buy the ticket and we cover the first $550 or so or we buy it and they reimburse.

We could argue that Malaysia Air was not actually selling these tickets directly to us, cheaptickets.com did and they made the error. However, upon purchasing the tickets from cheaptickets, Malaysia Air confirmed these tickets and issued e-ticket numbers and PNR numbers which would have made them negligent to some extent.

I think we may have something here. I’m about 2 weeks out from my outbound trip. I’m assuming that I won’t be flying but I’m darn sure that I’m going to argue for a ticket to HKG at that price with Cathay Pacific. If what she is saying is correct and she is canceling on her own and asking for a refund it would be a shame.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
It sounds like Lilian is saying that the routing/flight/codeshare never existed whereas I guess the other examples are all price based but I agree there is some type of precedence here that might have something going for us.

Based on DOT laws, if your credit card has been charged and/or you have received confirmation of the flights and the ticket, they must honor it but it sounds like for pricing errors...Not sure whether this routing thing counts. Being that the reservations all come up when you look on the MH website, this further confirms it. Cancellations by the airline(s) not allowed, price change not allowed. In this case, even if they say the flights did not exist, I believe they should still be upheld to get you tickets/that itinerary at that price with Cathay metal whether it be they buy the ticket and we cover the first $550 or so or we buy it and they reimburse.

We could argue that Malaysia Air was not actually selling these tickets directly to us, cheaptickets.com did and they made the error. However, upon purchasing the tickets from cheaptickets, Malaysia Air confirmed these tickets and issued e-ticket numbers and PNR numbers which would have made them negligent to some extent.
Nope, you can't. Malaysia took your money, and billed your credit card, not cheaptickets. They sold the ticket. They were the plating carrier (i.e. the first 3 digits of the ticket number was theirs).

Once you have an eTicket DoT applies.

I think we may have something here. I’m about 2 weeks out from my outbound trip. I’m assuming that I won’t be flying but I’m darn sure that I’m going to argue for a ticket to HKG at that price with Cathay Pacific. If what she is saying is correct and she is canceling on her own and asking for a refund it would be a shame.
I don't think your carrier is guaranteed especially under a codeshare. But you should get there on/around your preferred date in the class of service ticketed.

Last edited by arcticbull; Aug 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Nope, you can't. Malaysia took your money, and billed your credit card, not cheaptickets. They sold the ticket. They were the plating carrier (i.e. the first 3 digits of the ticket number was theirs).

Once you have an eTicket DoT applies.

I don't think your carrier is guaranteed especially under a codeshare. But you should get there on/around your preferred date in the class of service ticketed.
Well, so long as I get there on/around my preferred dates, I'm one happy B!!! Thanks for the info.

I need this vacation, badly. I'm going to be managing Q4 and Q1 alone while my boss goes on a huge maternity leave and my next vacation window won't be until at least Feb or March and that's being optimistic. I won't be able to be off the grid as much or for as long.

Last edited by JCM9608; Aug 17, 2014 at 5:30 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
Of course people would do that. As soon as some people have their ticket all bets are off, as they have gotten their benefit and nothing else matters. What? Affecting other people?
FWIW, not my approach. Sitting back to see how it all plays out. My ticket is for the middle of September.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by riddlerandy
FWIW, not my approach. Sitting back to see how it all plays out. My ticket is for the middle of September.
I'll let you know how mine plays out. I'm 9/3-9/23.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:08 pm

Plan? Why :P I'm in just for the weekend, MH9193 gets you in with plenty of time to get to Hong Kong Disneyland as it opens, Even on a sunday, you get the entire day there, and can easily be back at HKG later in the evening, I'm OWE so a nice shower and breakfast at "The Arrival" and then a nice dinner in the Wing F while I relax in a cabana before the flight, Hell The cost of a night out with a decent dinner and Champagne like what you would get a HKG would be about 100 bucks, hell, even just drinking at a bar for night would cost 100+ At that price I don't even care about the miles :P it's a perfect day away trip!!!

Even better considering that as long as you have a CX Boarding pass you can take advantage of this
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_U...roduction.html

so $35 bucks for the theme park ticket, the train costs peanuts. It's almost cheaper than a day trip to Disneyland ,CA

Last edited by nickcirc; Aug 17, 2014 at 6:48 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nickcirc
Plan? Why :P I'm in just for the weekend, MH9193 gets you in with plenty of time to get to Hong Kong Disneyland as it opens, Even on a sunday, you get the entire day there, and can easily be back at HKG later in the evening, I'm OWE so a nice shower and breakfast at "The Arrival" and then a nice dinner in the Wing F while I relax in a cabana before the flight, Hell The cost of a night out with a decent dinner and Champagne like what you would get a HKG would be about 100 bucks, hell, even just drinking at a bar for night would cost 100+ At that price I don't even care about the miles :P it's a perfect day away trip!!!

Even better considering that as long as you have a CX Boarding pass you can take advantage of this
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_U...roduction.html

so $35 bucks for the theme park ticket, the train costs peanuts. It's almost cheaper than a day trip to Disneyland ,CA
lol
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:25 am

What happens to the ticket if MH goes bankrupt?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Shimon
What happens to the ticket if MH goes bankrupt?
In this case, you *should* still be good, since it's CX operated.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
It looks like the fare is gone. Anyone confirm?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Jesus, this is not even a great jumbo sale and people are worried about cancellations.
If you have an ETicket number and/or confirmation code (this last one can be debated, but post Delta 12/26, should be golden) and the ticket is to/from USA, you are good to go.
If cheapo, malaysian, Cathay, or even or neighbor's dog complains and tries to say invalid or cancel just file a DOT 399.88 (a) on them and sit back
Sorry for the rant, been to many of these rodeos, even if I skipped this once since the earn wasn't making it worth it...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:18 am

How would I check in for this flight at SFO?

I got lucky and was able to book this fare last night on Cheaptickets, and now I'm wondering where I should go to check in for the flight. As Malaysia Airlines does not have a counter at SFO, I assume I'd go to Cathay's counter to check in? However, Cathay Pacific apparently does not know anything about the flight from what I saw. Could somebody shed some light on this? Thanks a bunch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.