Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhIteSidE
Confirm your Tickets

MH and Cheaptickets are canceling these reservations. DO NOT ACCEPT a refund and they will rebook you.

As reported by JCM9608 it appears that some of these tickets or segments may be getting canceled. If your itinerary pops up on the flymas.mobi site then you're probably okay. If not, call cheapticekts and speak with them. They must honor the ticket, so don't take "No" or "We'll send you a refund" as an answer. You may need to speak to a manager / supervisor.

Multiple reports in this thread indicate that cheaptickets/MH will book you on a flight combination (possibly with a connection in NRT) if you push and don't accept a refund.

Booking

It has been reported that this books at Cheaptickets and Orbitz. Having problems viewing your ticket? Visit the FlyMAS Mobile Site and enter your information.

Routing

This fare appears to be eligable for End-on-End construction, so it should be possible to book cheap(ish) AA or US fares and tack them onto the ticket. In order to get to and from SFO.

Mileage Accrual

This fare is a Malaysian (MH) codeshare on Cathay (CX) metal.

Cathay: No mileage accrual
Malaysian: 70% mileage accrual
American: 50% mileage accrual
US Airways: 50% mileage accrual

And remember, DON'T CALL THE AIRLINES while a deal is ongoing.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:58 pm

I think this may be a case of much ado about nothing. If they are fixing things in the background, then I would think they will fix everything up for the people before their flights. I guess if I was flying next week I would be concerned, but unless you actually get an email from them, spending hours and hours on the phone with the airlines and cheaptickets sounds like a real waste of time.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by nocornhusking
After my 3rd 30 minute call with Cheaptickets, I agreed to a refund with a $200 voucher with Cheaptickets. They then informed me that the refund will take "up to" 45 days to process. I'm not happy about the way this has been handled. I will probably dispute the charge with my bank card company.

I do believe that if one refuses the refund and demands that they provide as travel as paid for and confirmed, that it is likely you will get it - I just don't have the time to do that, and I'll use award travel instead.
Pity. If you would have had them call MH they would have just rebooked you on Cathay direct. Or whatever is available. It would not have taken long. They aren't even fighting it now and acknowledge they are actively booking everyone.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisR
I think this may be a case of much ado about nothing. If they are fixing things in the background, then I would think they will fix everything up for the people before their flights. I guess if I was flying next week I would be concerned, but unless you actually get an email from them, spending hours and hours on the phone with the airlines and cheaptickets sounds like a real waste of time.
Yeah, I was only persistent because i originally booked for 9/3.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US Airways, Delta, Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott
I booked this deal from SAN-LAX-HKG-LAX-SAN for $562 with Cheaptickets. Was waiting for a few days to call after the deal was dead. Called today to confirm and they did confirm and emailed me the Eticket numbers and said everything was in order. The only thing is that I'd love to drop the SAN-LAX and LAX-SAN portions of the trip (AA Flights). Not sure if this is ok to do. Thinking that it might be ok to just drop the last leg as long as I don't check bags.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by rocksurf
I booked this deal from SAN-LAX-HKG-LAX-SAN for $562 with Cheaptickets. Was waiting for a few days to call after the deal was dead. Called today to confirm and they did confirm and emailed me the Eticket numbers and said everything was in order. The only thing is that I'd love to drop the SAN-LAX and LAX-SAN portions of the trip (AA Flights). Not sure if this is ok to do. Thinking that it might be ok to just drop the last leg as long as I don't check bags.
Drop SAN-LAX and don't expect to fly the rest. You can drop LAX-SAN if you don't make a habit of it. You will have to collect your bags for US Customs at LAX anyway.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta

Fyi. Per what MH told me, my itinerary has been updated with CX flights!!
Was able to call MH to obtain CX record locator number. Apparently eticket numvers remained the same. Was able to log into cathay this morning. Have not played much with the website but this is great news for all and confirms what some of you have already been able to do!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:14 am

MH gave me the CX PNR with no issue. They said Cheaptickets needs to reissue the ticket though, and the CX website shows the same, that the ticket has not been issued yet, despite showing "confirmed".
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
I got the following email from Cheaptickets:

We have been notified by the airline of a significant change to your travel itinerary. Please contact CheapTickets at 1-888-922-8849 . We'll do our best to accommodate you on flights suitable to your schedule.

So I called them just now and they said they tried but couldn't find an alternate flight to put me on and offered to cancel and refund my fare, I didn't bother asking for a voucher, told him to not change anything and hung up.

Called MH (and asked him if the flight is confirmed and he said yes) and got the record locator for CX and went in and selected my seats. But I get this message like the others: Our records indicate that you have not issued a ticket for this booking. Please contact your travel agent to issue the ticket. Otherwise your booking will be invalid and will automatically be cancelled without further notice.
If you have already issued your eTicket, please ignore the above message.

Last edited by Matthew330Ci; Aug 24, 2014 at 7:11 pm
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:44 am

The wiki says this will earn 50% of miles flown on AA but wouldn't this count as a CX flight?

If so, would it earn 0 miles per this chart?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...hayPacific.jsp

The flight's showing as 'economy restricted' on checkmytrip and I can't find where I could find out what class it's in.

If true, it might be better to get 25% of miles to BA.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...-avios/flights
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
The wiki says this will earn 50% of miles flown on AA but wouldn't this count as a CX flight?

If so, would it earn 0 miles per this chart?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...hayPacific.jsp

The flight's showing as 'economy restricted' on checkmytrip and I can't find where I could find out what class it's in.

If true, it might be better to get 25% of miles to BA.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...-avios/flights
Assume discount economy booking class. Now that people are no longer on a MH codeshare (if indeed MH did cancel it), it's no longer a MH flight. If you are rebooked onto CX directly, you will earn nothing on AA.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Don't know if MH is being generous or I am being lucky. I am getting rebooked on B class for outbound and Y class for inbound. Both B and Y classes are full fare Econ and will earn 100% on all programs. You can find out what fare you're being booked on if you log in to the CX website with your confirmation number.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by sfosuw
Don't know if MH is being generous or I am being lucky. I am getting rebooked on B class for outbound and Y class for inbound. Both B and Y classes are full fare Econ and will earn 100% on all programs. You can find out what fare you're being booked on if you log in to the CX website with your confirmation number.
Upon close inspection, I'm on M (restricted, 0 mile earning on AA) on the flight to HKG and B (full-fare) coming back.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:11 am

My flights are V and H (on Cathay's website) -

Just as another point of reference (and it probably makes more sense for those that's been reading my previous posts).

I called cheaptickets yesterday again (stating that both MH's agent and CX's website) said tickets needed to be reissued. Was on hold for approximately 1.3 hours (did laundry, mopped, and washed dishes in the meantime) and cheaptickets and MH agent were able to re-issue my tickets with new E-ticket numbers.

Checked Cathay's website and though one of the flights says under booking status "on request", cheaptickets personnel re-assured me that it takes 24 hrs to confirm and we are good to go.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:48 am

FYI... just called Cathay Pacific for the outbound ""on request" tickets for my relative's Sept 13th travel.... Cathay's agent who spoke to their manager says "for your outbound flight, you are currently not confirmed, and on a waitlist. This is an ongoing case and we are aware of it, but you need to speak with MH, because the ticket is MH stock" .. me: "well if you know about it, I need to know what I need to tell MH because I'm now confused" ... Cathay's Agent: "At this time we cannot do anything and you need to call MH"

Will sit on this for another day and hopefully MH can talk to CX to release those seats. good lawdy.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:33 am

Guess I got unlucky. I got V and M, both 0% on US/AA. My rotten luck.

Also, Cathay says the ticket has not been reissued so the reservation is not ticketed, but CT insists it has been and that they have spoken to CX and verified it, but CX tells me it hasn't. What a pain in the ***. Not worth it at this point, especially not having been rebooked into a 0% mileage class. If I got lucky enough to be rebooked into a full earning class, maybe, but since they shaved like $200 worth of miles off the ticket, this was a terrible value.

Last edited by antonius66; Aug 25, 2014 at 10:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.