Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhIteSidE
Confirm your Tickets

MH and Cheaptickets are canceling these reservations. DO NOT ACCEPT a refund and they will rebook you.

As reported by JCM9608 it appears that some of these tickets or segments may be getting canceled. If your itinerary pops up on the flymas.mobi site then you're probably okay. If not, call cheapticekts and speak with them. They must honor the ticket, so don't take "No" or "We'll send you a refund" as an answer. You may need to speak to a manager / supervisor.

Multiple reports in this thread indicate that cheaptickets/MH will book you on a flight combination (possibly with a connection in NRT) if you push and don't accept a refund.

Booking

It has been reported that this books at Cheaptickets and Orbitz. Having problems viewing your ticket? Visit the FlyMAS Mobile Site and enter your information.

Routing

This fare appears to be eligable for End-on-End construction, so it should be possible to book cheap(ish) AA or US fares and tack them onto the ticket. In order to get to and from SFO.

Mileage Accrual

This fare is a Malaysian (MH) codeshare on Cathay (CX) metal.

Cathay: No mileage accrual
Malaysian: 70% mileage accrual
American: 50% mileage accrual
US Airways: 50% mileage accrual

And remember, DON'T CALL THE AIRLINES while a deal is ongoing.
Print Wikipost

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:22 pm

Request ORC.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
Request ORC.
Very unlikely to work in this case. ORC is typically for routing changes due to IRROPS or schedule changes, not for fare changes or rebookings.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Speedis1
FYI... just called Cathay Pacific for the outbound ""on request" tickets for my relative's Sept 13th travel.... Cathay's agent who spoke to their manager says "for your outbound flight, you are currently not confirmed, and on a waitlist. This is an ongoing case and we are aware of it, but you need to speak with MH, because the ticket is MH stock" .. me: "well if you know about it, I need to know what I need to tell MH because I'm now confused" ... Cathay's Agent: "At this time we cannot do anything and you need to call MH"

Will sit on this for another day and hopefully MH can talk to CX to release those seats. good lawdy.
Don't wait. Request that MH look for an alternative for you. When I called, MH refused to do it. I was pissed off because the agent took me from a confirmed flight to a waitlist flight and didn't tell me this. When I asked to have it reversed they said they can't do it. They then ask who did it and what their name was and they would review it and then call me back. Whenever they say they'll call me back they never do. Their agents don't know what they're talking about half the time.

I ended up calling CT and explaining the situation and they called MH to get it fixed for me. Before that, I called CX to inquire about how full the flights I was waitlisted for. It turned out to be full flights (both direct flights per day) as well as all the other days near it. Being friendly to the agent and striking a conversation up, she said my chances were probably slim but that I could try certain alternatives and asked her to let me know what days would have a higher probability. In the end I opted to just cut my losses and take stopover with an overnight in Haneda--I just want confirmed seats with 9 days to go!

Don't wait; call and get on something that can get you confirmed. I imagine you won't be at the top of the waitlist based on status and/or your fare class and you risk not flying at all depending on the flight's fill rate and also how soon you are flying.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:24 am

Did anyone have any luck calling in to get your date changed? I booked to fly on October 4 01:00, but got switched to October 5 13:45 now on flymas.mobi.

Who should I call to fix this with? Malaysian? Even if the original flight is full, I'd rather leave earlier than later, which is what they auto-rebooked.

Also, Cathay is still selling seats for my original travel date.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:59 am

Hi to everyone,
i want to share my story with this Fare.

On 17th August i decided to book this fare for a one night trip to HKG. Outbound on 15th September and inbound on 17th Sep. Price was 567,- $ ex LAS. I was happy :-)

Yesterday i turned back to this thread and was really shocked about this informations here. Just a few more hours i received an email from cheap tickets, that there is a problem with my ticket and i have to call them.

So i made a skype call from germany and after a few minutes an agent took the call. He told me there is a problem with Malaysia Airlines and now they try to change my ticket on Cathey.
He put me on hold and on the second line he called the MH Hotline. Every 5 Minutes he came back to me and asked me if everything is fine and that he is just on waitlist at the other line.
After 30 Min he got the result: my ticket will be changed to an CX Flight Number.
He asked me if i want to stay in the line till the process is finished. After a few more minutes (and smalltalk about the soccor final) i received an email with my new eticket number, PNR and also my seat numbers (62K / 63K)

But the best information for me was my new Booking Class. For my programm on AirBerlin i am now able to collect 50% , instead of 25%.

The phone call was about 58 Min, the result makes me happy and the agent was really really good !

So, thank you all for sharing the informations and of course, a big thanks to the Thread Opener !

Regards from cold germany
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:20 am
wco

Programs: UA 1K
I just got off the phone with cheaptickets, and after about an hour of claiming that refund was my only option, they were able to re-issue my tickets onto Cathay Pacific. However, I went onto the Cathay site, and it still says:

"Our records indicate that you have not issued a ticket for this booking. Please contact your travel agent to issue the ticket. Otherwise your booking will be invalid and will automatically be cancelled without further notice."

I haven't been able to get through to their reservations desk because the line has been busy for the last 15 minutes (weird, eh?). I was able to select seats, and it said confirmed, but at this point, I'm not quite sure whether the ticket was actually re-issued. My guess is yes, but I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue. Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:30 am

I have had this issue...and it has been a nightmare. Cathay has called me 2 times and stated that the tickets are not reissued despite what CT insists, and that the booking class that MH supposedly put me on does not match up and they can't honor it unless MH fixes it, etc etc etc etc etc. Hours on hold with MH and CT and nothing is fixed. This was NOT worth this price. This was not that great a price honestly for this, especially without earning any miles.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:56 am

One more update. Looks finally fixed. Cathay called me told me to get MH to reissue the ticket with the correct booking class, because the original ticketed class of S on MH did not match the new class they booked me into on CX (V and M) so they could not honor the ticket, despite what everyone had been saying about it being reissued. I called MH and told them CX wanted it reissued in the right class, so they reissued me a new ticket # on MH stock again, but in S on every segment including the CX segment. The MH rep indicated that anyone who had been "rebooked" on a new booking class like Y, B, M, etc would have the same issue and according to CX that would be true. Just passing the info along, but if you are in one of those classes and getting a message from CX that your ticket has not been issued, you might want to call and have MH put you back in the correct class as booked according to CX, which would be S. After they did mine, I got a new MH ticket number but now on CX website, I no longer get that message and I called CX and they confirmed the ticket is now valid and completed.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
One more update. Looks finally fixed. Cathay called me told me to get MH to reissue the ticket with the correct booking class, because the original ticketed class of S on MH did not match the new class they booked me into on CX (V and M) so they could not honor the ticket, despite what everyone had been saying about it being reissued. I called MH and told them CX wanted it reissued in the right class, so they reissued me a new ticket # on MH stock again, but in S on every segment including the CX segment. The MH rep indicated that anyone who had been "rebooked" on a new booking class like Y, B, M, etc would have the same issue and according to CX that would be true. Just passing the info along, but if you are in one of those classes and getting a message from CX that your ticket has not been issued, you might want to call and have MH put you back in the correct class as booked according to CX, which would be S. After they did mine, I got a new MH ticket number but now on CX website, I no longer get that message and I called CX and they confirmed the ticket is now valid and completed.
Hey antonius66,

Were you able to get an e-ticket number from CX?

From an itinerary request from MH, I see S-class. A call to CX shows discrepancies between the reservation and lack of ticket.

**Update**: After Further Review, it looks like there was a discrepancy between the fare class MH sent me an itinerary of and the fare class CX had me listed under. The CX rep hinted at this but did not state it clearly. I called MH and they reissued the reservation. I was told the ticket had been issued. No holds appear on the online booking and I will call Cathay tomorrow morning to ensure a ticket has been issued.

Last edited by willk5; Aug 26, 2014 at 7:12 pm Reason: Update
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:33 pm
wco

Yep, so my tickets have not been re-issued. Cheaptickets says that MH has to wait for CX to confirm, but CX has confirmed the reservation. MH says that Cheaptickets has to call them to initiate the re-ticketing. I guess I'll be back on the phone soon. Antonius, thanks for filling us in on the booking class issues!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:01 pm

No, the ticket is on MH stock and after reissue, it was a new ticket number from my original confirmation from MH/Cheaptickets, but it was still on MH stock. Just in S class on CX now instead of V/M/B/Y/N etc.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
I just called CX to confirm and they said I need to contact MH to issue the tickets. I called MH, they said I need to call CT to reissue and change the date back to the original date (I just noticed they pushed the departure date back 1 day!).

I call CT and they try to conference MH and of course, CT drops off (as I've heard has happened to many others) and I'm on hold for MH, eventually get through, I explain the issue of changing the date and getting the tickets issued and this agent actually was able to change the date back and reissue the tickets and emailed me the confirmation including a new MH e-ticket #.

I still have no CX e-ticket # but this seems to be the norm for codeshares on CX. Even still, when I check my trip on CX's website, the message about needing to issue the tickets is gone! So I think I'm finally set and ready to go.

The booking class is still M on the outbound and B on the inbound.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:00 pm

Wow, lucky you that they gave you a ticket in B on the inbound still. Mine got rebooked into the original S which they said is what they required so I got screwed on ANY miles. You will not get a CX ticket #, it is still going to be on MH stock, i.e. 232 ticket number.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:43 pm
wco

It took many phone calls to Cheaptickets (6 or 7) to find the right customer service representative, but I finally get my ticket reissued. In course of this fare, I've been told that a refund is my only option, the waitlist was my only option, the ticket was reissued (although I was only cleared from the waitlist), and the ticket was already reissued (although the customer service representative just saw the original MH ticket).

Fortunately, this last customer service agent was a dream and understood immediately what needed to be done. After about an hour on the phone (and only because she was talking to Malaysia Airlines), the ticket was reissued in M class. Everything looks good on the Cathay website. Many, many thanks to all of you who reported back your experiences! It definitely helped me figure out what to say to the reps to get this resolved.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by wco
It took many phone calls to Cheaptickets (6 or 7) to find the right customer service representative, but I finally get my ticket reissued. In course of this fare, I've been told that a refund is my only option, the waitlist was my only option, the ticket was reissued (although I was only cleared from the waitlist), and the ticket was already reissued (although the customer service representative just saw the original MH ticket).

Fortunately, this last customer service agent was a dream and understood immediately what needed to be done. After about an hour on the phone (and only because she was talking to Malaysia Airlines), the ticket was reissued in M class. Everything looks good on the Cathay website. Many, many thanks to all of you who reported back your experiences! It definitely helped me figure out what to say to the reps to get this resolved.
this was my experience as well, just went to cathay site to pick my seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.