Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhIteSidE
Confirm your Tickets

MH and Cheaptickets are canceling these reservations. DO NOT ACCEPT a refund and they will rebook you.

As reported by JCM9608 it appears that some of these tickets or segments may be getting canceled. If your itinerary pops up on the flymas.mobi site then you're probably okay. If not, call cheapticekts and speak with them. They must honor the ticket, so don't take "No" or "We'll send you a refund" as an answer. You may need to speak to a manager / supervisor.

Multiple reports in this thread indicate that cheaptickets/MH will book you on a flight combination (possibly with a connection in NRT) if you push and don't accept a refund.

Booking

It has been reported that this books at Cheaptickets and Orbitz. Having problems viewing your ticket? Visit the FlyMAS Mobile Site and enter your information.

Routing

This fare appears to be eligable for End-on-End construction, so it should be possible to book cheap(ish) AA or US fares and tack them onto the ticket. In order to get to and from SFO.

Mileage Accrual

This fare is a Malaysian (MH) codeshare on Cathay (CX) metal.

Cathay: No mileage accrual
Malaysian: 70% mileage accrual
American: 50% mileage accrual
US Airways: 50% mileage accrual

And remember, DON'T CALL THE AIRLINES while a deal is ongoing.
Print Wikipost

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by yyll
I got lucky and was able to book this fare last night on Cheaptickets, and now I'm wondering where I should go to check in for the flight. As Malaysia Airlines does not have a counter at SFO, I assume I'd go to Cathay's counter to check in? However, Cathay Pacific apparently does not know anything about the flight from what I saw. Could somebody shed some light on this? Thanks a bunch.
Already addressed in post #45
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Shimon
What happens to the ticket if MH goes bankrupt?
If MH goes bankrupt and you paid with a credit -- NOT a debit card -- then you can invoke your right to dispute the charges and receive a full refund. There's a window of time in which to do so but I can't remember what it is. That protection does not extend to debit card purchases, and in that case you'd have to deal with travel insurance, if any, and failing that, with the bankrupt carrier themselves (don't expect much).

The fact that it's operated by CX won't make a difference because it's on MH ticket stock and an MH flight number. If they go bankrupt then CX will likely refuse to honor said tickets because they won't be paid for their efforts (and I don't believe you're covered by DoT there either).

That said, I wouldn't worry about that. They may take themselves private but I doubt they're going under.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:11 am

I got lucky and was able to book this fare last night on Cheaptickets, and now I'm wondering where I should go to check in for the flight. As Malaysia Airlines does not have a counter at SFO, I assume I'd go to Cathay's counter to check in? However, Cathay Pacific apparently does not know anything about the flight from what I saw. Could somebody shed some light on this? Thanks a bunch.
*always* check in with the operating carrier on codeshares. This is no different.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by homeone
for end on end fares, can i take on intra asia portion? or only intra US portion? i am trying to get to taipei. otherwise sfo works perfectly for me!
Just book HKG-TPE-HKG as an Avios award. There's even a CX 744 with F on that route. Should cost a tiny handful of miles.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:36 am

Was feeling good about these tickets, but this morning I checked the mobile site again and my eticket numbers have disappeared. The reservation is still there, but the previously visable eticket numbers are now blank.

Can anyone else check their tickets via the flymas.mobi site and see if their etickets are still showing up?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:04 am

My e-ticket number is also gone on the mobile site.
Also, only my HKG --> SFO flight appears now, the SFO --> HKG one is gone now...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by ChrisR
he reservation is still there, but the previously visible eticket numbers are now blank.
Same here. The ticket was issued already though so I would not be worried as long as you have the eticket number (which shows up on the booking site's confirmation e-mail and also your credit card transaction)!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:26 am

Someone posted on The Flight Deal that Cheaptickets called and told them their tickets were canceled because MH canceled the flights:

"cheaptickets.com called and informed my husband that our flights is cancelled because Malaysian airlines cancelled our flights ! we never called or anything, was just patiently waiting, and even have a record locator number from malaysian airline. What should we do? do we have any rights? please help."

I checked the status on flymas.mobi today and my e-ticket number is gone as well. Does MH really have to do this? It looks like some DOT complaints will follow.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by 1LuckyGuy
Also, only my HKG --> SFO flight appears now, the SFO --> HKG one is gone now...
My LAX-HKG is gone as well. I'm flying from PDX so I have PDX-LAX, HKG-LAX-SFO-PDX left. The reservation is still "ticketed" on AA's PNR. We will see how this plays out!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:14 pm

For people who bought the ticket, did the transaction ever post on your credit card statement? I bought mine a couple days ago and it is still showing as pending.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:21 pm

For people who bought the ticket, did the transaction ever post on your credit card statement? I bought mine a couple days ago and it is still showing as pending.
Mine has been posted as MALAY AIR XXXXXXXXXXXXXCHICAGO IL (XXX is the ticket number) and the merchant is MALAYSAIN AIR SYS.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:25 pm

My LAX-HKG flight is now missing from MH site, although the other legs are intact including HKG-LAX. AA.com still shows the entire thing as ticketed though. My charge posted to my account a while ago already and shows the whole itinerary.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:14 pm

I just checked and my eticket numbers are gone. Only outbound SFO-HKG is showing now with no inbound. I took original screen shots and still have the confirmation email.

I already filed with the DOT and the DOT confirmed it has been forwarded to both CX and MH. CX emailed to confirm receipt of the case and are researching. Nothing from MH yet but I did also contacted their customer support separately. They said nothing looks wrong from their end but tickets were issued before confirmation from CX was received. She said to have travel agency or myself talk to CX directly. They are obviously dusting off their hands and saying it isn't their fault. Unfortunately, through standard means, CX won't give travel agency the time of day because the tickets were issued with MH with MH eticket numbers that correspond to them.

So annoyed. I have a direct email address with someone specific at the DOT. I explained the above as well and will see what he says.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:53 pm

Thanks for contacting the DOT, JCM9608. I thought about doing the same myself but I didn't want them to be too swamped with complaints to do anything helpful. Please keep us updated how this plays out.

Originally Posted by JCM9608
I just checked and my eticket numbers are gone. Only outbound SFO-HKG is showing now with no inbound. I took original screen shots and still have the confirmation email.

I already filed with the DOT and the DOT confirmed it has been forwarded to both CX and MH. CX emailed to confirm receipt of the case and are researching. Nothing from MH yet but I did also contacted their customer support separately. They said nothing looks wrong from their end but tickets were issued before confirmation from CX was received. She said to have travel agency or myself talk to CX directly. They are obviously dusting off their hands and saying it isn't their fault. Unfortunately, through standard means, CX won't give travel agency the time of day because the tickets were issued with MH with MH eticket numbers that correspond to them.

So annoyed. I have a direct email address with someone specific at the DOT. I explained the above as well and will see what he says.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:02 pm

Thanks for contacting the DOT, JCM9608. I thought about doing the same myself but I didn't want them to be too swamped with complaints to do anything helpful. Please keep us updated how this plays out.
No problem. I am very frustrated with MH's approach to this. Very hands off and not solution oriented at all.

I see where you are coming from but the DOT logs the complaints per reason and airline. I think it's important they see just how many people are getting screwed over. Also, if it's just a few, it seems they are less likely to do anything but if there are more people it would seem to be a widespread problem. I urge you to file anyway. An example should be made. You can't just issue, then say actually we issued without confirmation of anything on their end, then say too bad. It isn't how it works and they should be held responsible!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.