Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhIteSidE
Confirm your Tickets

MH and Cheaptickets are canceling these reservations. DO NOT ACCEPT a refund and they will rebook you.

As reported by JCM9608 it appears that some of these tickets or segments may be getting canceled. If your itinerary pops up on the flymas.mobi site then you're probably okay. If not, call cheapticekts and speak with them. They must honor the ticket, so don't take "No" or "We'll send you a refund" as an answer. You may need to speak to a manager / supervisor.

Multiple reports in this thread indicate that cheaptickets/MH will book you on a flight combination (possibly with a connection in NRT) if you push and don't accept a refund.

Booking

It has been reported that this books at Cheaptickets and Orbitz. Having problems viewing your ticket? Visit the FlyMAS Mobile Site and enter your information.

Routing

This fare appears to be eligable for End-on-End construction, so it should be possible to book cheap(ish) AA or US fares and tack them onto the ticket. In order to get to and from SFO.

Mileage Accrual

This fare is a Malaysian (MH) codeshare on Cathay (CX) metal.

Cathay: No mileage accrual
Malaysian: 70% mileage accrual
American: 50% mileage accrual
US Airways: 50% mileage accrual

And remember, DON'T CALL THE AIRLINES while a deal is ongoing.
Print Wikipost

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
So I checked on checkmytrip.com and I do have an e-ticket number but it starts with 232, while Cathay's seem to start with 043 or 160 at their website, so I can't enter the 232 e-ticket # on their website. I do have a 6 digit PNR which CX does recognize. So am I good to go? I tried calling Cathay this morning but the line is constantly busy.

Also, JayZ_004, I'm guessing no news is good news and you're in HK?
The Cathay website just can't look up your reservation based on your eTicket unless they're the ones who issued it; if they were, it'd start with 043 (KA -- their Dragonair subsidiary) or 160 (CX -- Cathay Pacific).

The ticket is generally "plated" or issued by the airline whose fare you've booked under, in this case Malaysia, on their ticket stock. The first 3 digits are the stock number.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG, IHG, HHonors
Just an update, I got back last weekend from HKG trip. My first time there, it was great. Luckily I left the day before the demonstrations began.

I too originally had a few troubles with looking up my trip on CX's website. Finally someone at Cheaptickets gave me the proper CX pnr number and I was able to select my seats and check in online. Somehow I was booked into premium economy and my return leg. It's quite a decent product compared to coach. I'd fly it again no doubt.

Other than that, everything went smoothly.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:54 pm

Just reporting back. Two FTers met up with me in Hong Kong last weekend. One had a 232 ticket number and the other a 160 number. Both made AA and CX legs with no problem (although apparently an AAgent at an outstation said she'd never seen a 232 ticket number before and had never entered the commands which a support person told her to enter to get boarding passes printed).

As far as the demonstrations go, I wouldn't be too worried as a visitor. I would avoid the densest parts of Central and along the Queens Road area, although even there is probably fine (we walked through there on the morning after the tear gas attack and it was fine -- unfortunately, they're non running the double deck street cars, so my visitors didn't get to see those). I had to be down in Central on Friday (Hong Kong time) and it was still totally fine.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA P, A3 G, MU Gold, HH G, Marriott P
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci

Also, JayZ_004, I'm guessing no news is good news and you're in HK?
I wish I had reported back sooner, but from all the good news people have had, my experience must have been a unique case.
Like I mentioned before, I had a ANC-LAX-HKG-LAX ticket. My ANC-LAX segment had an AA flight number but operated by AS. When I got to ANC airport, the AS agent informed me that my ticket had a "Endorsement Restricted" note and they could not access the new ticket number, which was exchanged by MH a couple of weeks before my departure. However, they were able to access the reservation with the old ticket number, but every segment was noted with "exchanged". The AS agent told me to contact cheaptickets as well as MH.
Cheaptickets rep basically said since MH exchanged the ticket, it's under MH's control and cheaptickets was not able to help me with the reservation. So I called MH's call center in Malaysia. I spoke to about 5 different agents and 1 manager, they all said that the ticket was fine and nothing needed to be done. Finally, the ANC-LAX flight took off and I was still stranded at ANC. I ended up calling MH the entire evening and stayed at ANC for over 12 hours. The last MH agent said that since I had missed my flight, they could rebook me to tomorrow's flight but I'd be responsible for the fare difference as well as a change fee. I said that was ridiculous and decided to go to a hotel, since I didn't sleep that night.
On my way to the hotel, I saw a few CX cargo flights coming into ANC and I decided to give the CX office at ANC a go. The guy at the office gave me CX ticketing's number at LAX and I explained the situation. The agent recommended that I purchase an ANC-LAX ticket on my own and she could rebook me on a later LAX-HKG flight once I get to LAX. I burned some AS miles and got to LAX in time for the LAX-HKG flight.
While at ANC, I tweeted MH and contacted MH's facebook account as well. Their social media team responded and said they'll investigate the matter. So I'm still waiting for their official response. I'll probably also file a DOT complaint.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold
August 14: SFO-HKG booked on CT for departure Oct 10
Credit card charged. Ticket issued. Confirmations.

Similar experience as others. CT website showed only return flight on itinerary
after August 30.

Watched FT Thread.... No contact to/from anyone prior to....

Sept 24th. First contact with CT. Good agent, seemed to have experience with issue. Ticket exchange done by MH. S class gone. Ticket stock not matching new booking, etc. MH says they can't make any changes until code-share dept. talks to CX. Told to wait until Oct. 2.

Oct 2. No changes on websites. CT calls CX. CX says S class still available. Don't know why it has been adjusted. CT calls MH. CT conference call now with a "NEW" firm hired by MH called Avia World to "deal" with MH issues. The number is the same 1-800-552-9264; option travel agent. The representative: Daisy at ext. 306 (if that is it) says she'll look into the issue, and to call back the next day.

Oct 3. Call to CT to do a conference with Daisy. Daisy says it's taken care of, and I'm all confirmed. She gives me all the confirmation codes and new ticket number. While she is on the line, I do a quick check of CX website. I see 2 flights for my 10th departure. One in S-class (on request), one in Y-Class (confirmed). However, the big yellow box with the warning that CX doesn't have a ticket associated with the reservation. Daisy says its a problem with CX, and it's 5:30p at her location (office closing), and she will investigate on Monday, since her office is closed for the weekend. She says there is nothing more she can do, and says goodbye. CT still on the line. I request CT to call CX. CX says I do have a seat, but ticket stock doesn't match seat class. Yep. I knew that awhile back. MH only can change. Yep, knew that too. CT says don't worry, you can take care of it through Daisy on Monday.

Oct. 6. Call to CT for conference with Daisy. Daisy not available till 12n ET. Call back.

Call CT at 12:30p ET for new conference call. CT agent says Daisy not picking up. I say try again. CT agent comes back, and says Kaula Lumpur on holiday, and that is why Daisy is unavailable. I say, no..she is in NY. Try another agent, if she isn't there. CT puts me on hold for 30+mins. no return to the line. While CT on the line, on hold, I dial Daisy the 1-800 line. She picks up. I ask her the status of my ticket. She says MH On holiday, and no one from Kaula Lumpur is responding to her email. She has tried, and it's out of her hands now. I must wait until tomorrow. She at some point in the conversation mentions her LA office, and that she thought they were going to contact me. They did not. I asked Daisy for the number for the LA office, and the contact with Malaysia managers, with whom she was working with on my case. She verifies my phone number, and says I'll call you right back. Never did!

So… Talk me off the ledge. I think this is a sign that I should just cancel the trip.

Now on hold with CT in an attempt to get a full refund. CT says they must call MH to authorize. Geez. I'm guessing MH won't answer the phone because they are on "holiday". Credit card company supports but, says I need to find out if CT will be giving the refund.

**** Can anyone with DOT complaint experience on this issue give me some direction on how to word a proper complaint?****PM good.

Last edited by TelevisionTdTina; Oct 6, 2014 at 1:59 pm Reason: More info.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Originally Posted by Jayz_004
I wish I had reported back sooner, but from all the good news people have had, my experience must have been a unique case.
snip
So I'm still waiting for their official response. I'll probably also file a DOT complaint.
Originally Posted by TelevisionTdTina
August 14: SFO-HKG booked on CT for departure Oct 10
Credit card charged. Ticket issued. Confirmations.

However, the big yellow box with the warning that CX doesn't have a ticket associated with the reservation. Daisy says its a problem with CX, and it's 5:30p at her location (office closing), and she will investigate on Monday, since her office is closed for the weekend. She says there is nothing more she can do, and says goodbye. CT still on the line. I request CT to call CX. CX says I do have a seat, but ticket stock doesn't match seat class. Yep. I knew that awhile back. MH only can change. Yep, knew that too. CT says don't worry, you can take care of it through Daisy on Monday.
I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles and especially Jayz_004.

As for Tina, I remember getting the yellow box warning before, what needed to happen was MH needed to 're-issue' the tickets, then the warning message went away. When MH becomes available again, you should ask them to do that for you.

As for me, I leave this Saturday and I just called CX and they confirmed that I have confirmed flights and will be traveling and will be able to check in online 48 hrs prior despite it having an MH e-ticket #. Fingers crossed...
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold
[QUOTE As for Tina, I remember getting the yellow box warning before, what needed to happen was MH needed to 're-issue' the tickets, then the warning message went away. When MH becomes available again, you should ask them to do that for you.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I tried that on my very first conversation on Sept. 24 in conference call.

I just continue to get the run around. The CT agent was suppose to ask for authorization code for refund. What was suppose to be a refund, turned into another fare class change to K, confirmed. But, get this...they won't reissue a new ticket number until I provide my passport number. REALLY? They changed the ticket number on the exchange without my knowledge. I'm at work, and don't have it with me. I tell the CT agent to call back for the refund. 30 mins later, MH won't do the refund because the flight has been confirmed. Huh? Someone with more knowledge explain how I can be confirmed without a ticket number issued in that fare class? Phone call: 2hrs. 11mins.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Jayz_004
Thanks for the update.

Wow didn't realize the flight ex-ANC would be such a hassle. Nearly booked it myself...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.