Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:48 pm

7 nights Travel Packages with a few paid nights in the middle

Can I use a 7 nights certificate to have a reservation more than 7 nights with a few paid nights inside?

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
I am about to redeem a 7 nights travel package. But the business hotel is cheap on weekends. So, for example, I want to do 5 nights covered by *7 nights*. Then to pay the weekend 2 nights using cash, and two days of the following are still covered by *7 nights*.

I can achieve this goal online using points redemption. Please see the screen shot below.

Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:51 pm

Asked and answered many times. And the answer is yes.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:56 pm

Well, I thought the answer should be yes as well. But I called customer service today and they seems not quite sure how to do this and I was told NO?!
Can you send me a link other people's similar redemption case of description? Thank you!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Asked and answered many times. And the answer is yes.

BTW, for these a few paid nights (in the middle) can I use corporate rate on them?
Old May 1, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Call MR Customer Service. Tell them exactly what you want to do. They will email or fax you a form that you will fill out the top part and the other person fills out the bottom part. Then send it back to them. Once they have the form, you can call back to order the award and they will pull the required amount of points from the other account and into your account. And then they will issue the award.
I called up to do this and they said I could redeem my partners points for a travel package but they needed him to give permission over the phone(which he did). However they then said that I had to choose the hotel and dates there and then to continue and that I couldn't just book the travel package to put the 7 night hotel cert on my account. Is this correct or do I just need to HUACA?
Old May 1, 2018, 3:37 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I called up to do this and they said I could redeem my partners points for a travel package but they needed him to give permission over the phone(which he did). However they then said that I had to choose the hotel and dates there and then to continue and that I couldn't just book the travel package to put the 7 night hotel cert on my account. Is this correct or do I just need to HUACA?
Find a hotel with award availability at the same category level (and make sure it's cancellation policy is normal and will let you cancel the award.) Make the reservation without using your points (which should be easy with only 70K in your account.) Then call back, re-order your TP award, let them apply the cert to that reservation. Once you are off the phone with them and the transaction has been completed. Just cancel the reservation. The cert will be redeposited into your account.

I'm trying to reemember if I ever transferred points for a TP award where I didn't already have a hotel in mind. I usually do, but I know I've changed the reservation before after ordering and linking the cert. So you should be able to do that.
Old May 1, 2018, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by gcja
Well, I thought the answer should be yes as well. But I called customer service today and they seems not quite sure how to do this and I was told NO?!
Can you send me a link other people's similar redemption case of description? Thank you!
5th Night Free - Non Consecutive Award Nights / Same Stay
Old May 1, 2018, 1:42 pm

Thanks for your link. Indeed it is the normal case of 5 nights free non-consecutive instead of *7-night certificate* using travel package. And I put this example (the picture) in my original post.

I saw a case here very related to what I am asking.
https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/49888

Anymore data point on flyertalk?

Old May 1, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
The fifth night free is different from the 7 night cert isn't it? Don't the 7 nights have to be consecutive?
Old May 1, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by joeags
Unfortunately no, if you checked out. That happened to us on our Khao Lak stay - I debated not checking out and putting up the do not disturb sign and doing the online check out the next morning but I needed to verify the bill so checked out I asked if they could hold off on the check out until the next day, but they refused. Side note, we arrived at 7am,booking the night before and did not receive that night credit either. Next month we will do an online check out at a limited service property to get the extra day (I will need it for 75 nights by August 1.)
It's been enough years since, so I can probably tell this story and not get anyone in trouble. I had two rooms at one of the most expensive Marriott properties on the planet with the last night left on our certs when it was announced there would be an air controller strike starting the next day. We had to leave the country or risk getting stuck. I explained this to the FD manager and we decided it would be best to just leave the rooms empty that night. Out of nowhere, someone I kinda knew from the US (college friend's brother) came up, surprised to see me. He and his wife had just flown over and were about to check in. I asked and the clerk let them use my last night. Not only that, but it was hours before check-in but she arranged for our room to be cleaned so they could get in quickly. Some other people checking in overheard all of this and the clerk nicely arranged for them to have the other room and use the last night on the other cert. She explained the hotel was full and got lots of walk-in business so they wouldn't be losing any revenue as the two rooms would likely be rented out at top dollar.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I've actually gone a step further, especially when departing early the next day, and settled my bill the evening before. This is usually in other countries where I have local currency I want to apply to my bill.
Same here to both stopping by the front desk the night before and draining my local currency to pay the bill before putting the rest on a cc. There's nothing worse than being in a rush to get the airport when you are stuck behind someone else who is being checked out by someone who cannot solve whatever issue they are having, or needing to deal with a billing mistake when pressed for time in the morning.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:17 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
I'm still curious if all the packages will be the same 1:1 ratio for miles or will we have the 4 tiers...?
Old May 1, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Definitely - I've done that too, but for some strange reason it sounds like joeags ran into a hotel that was giving him problems with settling the bill without checking out. I don't fully understand what happened...
I have to admit that it was all me in approaching it wrong!! I should have walked up and asked to go over the bill and pay it off and turned around without mentioning a check out. Unfortunately I stated that I was checking out and then tried to keep my bill open in order to get the extra night credit. Completely wrong approach! Another learning lesson though!
Old May 2, 2018, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by estnet
The fifth night free is different from the 7 night cert isn't it? Don't the 7 nights have to be consecutive?
No. Read the entire linked thread.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:12 pm

I appreciate we don’t have the answers from Marriott just yet other than that we can use new and existing Packages from Aug at Starwood Hotels, however are there any thoughts on how existing Travel Pkgs will carry across to the new combined chart? I was wondering if it was worth upgrading my base (Cat 1-5) Packages before the changes take effect? Also re. expiration, having already taken advantage of the one time extension request over the phone, I wonder if it’s worth upgrading a category for a further extension, just before August to ensure another year validly on the off chance the expiry is more vigorously enforced going forward!?
Old May 2, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by pazza2000
I appreciate we don’t have the answers from Marriott just yet other than that we can use new and existing Packages from Aug at Starwood Hotels, however are there any thoughts on how existing Travel Pkgs will carry across to the new combined chart? I was wondering if it was worth upgrading my base (Cat 1-5) Packages before the changes take effect? Also re. expiration, having already taken advantage of the one time extension request over the phone, I wonder if it’s worth upgrading a category for a further extension, just before August to ensure another year validly on the off chance the expiry is more vigorously enforced going forward!?
Most likely they'll be converted to the new categories on a points-basis. E.g. however many points/night you get for your category will be its new category. Or in other words, they'll retain their POINTS value, not their CATEGORY value. But we really don't know for certain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.