Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Pretty sure this is just supporting evidence that the certs will be assigned an equivalent value in points instead of mapped to a category. Too much room to game it if they do the latter.
I think the problem that Chuck was talking about still exists. If they map a Category 6 TP as 30K * 6, there is no 30K property under the new system. So the question would be if they are going to force people to use it on a max 25K property level or allow them to move up to a 35K property level. Based on the fact the new CCs are allowing for redemption at the 35K property level for the annual night (which is a current category 7 but a future category 5 and thus more generous then the current Category 1-5 point amount) then it seems like allowing redemption up to the 35K property level might seem reasonable as it would be small price to pay for the goodwill of your customers.
One solution might be converting the TP packages to just a flat total point redemption value and allow people to redeem it at whatever properties they choose, and this would be highly beneficial to some people, like I mentioned in my above post, it allows someone to stay more than 7 nights at a lower level property or less nights at a higher level property.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by barbh2
I called Marriott to use the hotel certificate from my travel package for the Atlanta in the Bahamas.The representative called the Atlantas to try to arrange this and was told they do not accept travel packages.
I was not aware that Marriott Hotels could opt out from accepting Travel packages and I was counting on using the certificate for this hotel.
Has anyone else had this experience with the Atlantas (or at other Marriott properties?)
Anything that can be done?
Call the phone number below. It seems Atlantis has it's own reservations number.

Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas participates in Marriott Rewards as follows:
  1. Points or Miles may be earned for reservations booked through Bahamas Resort Atlantis Resort or by calling 1-855-696-4732. Points or Miles will not be earned and Points cannot be redeemed for reservations booked through Atlantis Paradise Vacations, Atlantis.com, or AtlantisBahamas.com.
  2. Points may be redeemed for stays only by calling 1-855-696-4732. At this time, redemption stays cannot be booked online.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
Im wondering about the peak pricing and how it will effect existing certificates. We do a big trip at New Years most years and have gotten great stays on points.
I was thinking about getting a Cat 9 and using it for New Years. Can I still do this if it is before the July change? I'm hoping to beat the peak point changes.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Apparently, Marriott will be allowing those with travel packages to redeem for points. No one will be losing their TP.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Interesting argument -- but given that you'd still be able to redeem for 7 nights at a Tier 5 property (with presumably better availability than now), which is what you originally purchased, I think it would be tough to argue that you're due any kind of refund. If this scenario comes to pass, I would just consider myself fortunate that I might be able to redeem for an additional night.
I'm just wondering if I should downgrade my cert back to Ritz 3. If they make them point vouchers it would be less points to bring it up to the new highest cat7 level than the amount I paid now to go from RC tier 3 to tier 5.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mitchwebb
Im wondering about the peak pricing and how it will effect existing certificates. We do a big trip at New Years most years and have gotten great stays on points.
I was thinking about getting a Cat 9 and using it for New Years. Can I still do this if it is before the July change? I'm hoping to beat the peak point changes.
Category 8 and Peak pricing won't go into effect until sometime in 2019.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:40 pm

How does travel package work?

I am trying to determine if it’s in my best interest to use the MR’s travel package deal.

i was planning a trip to Spain/Portugal as follows:

yyz-Madrid stay in MAd for 5 nights
Goto Barcelona by train or air for 5 nights
goto Lisbon for 5 nights
fly back to Yyz from Lisbon

i know the Marriott travel package is for 7 nights.

i thofuhtt I could either extend Madrid or Barcelona for 7 nights.

I would be interested in booking a reward stay at a Cat 8 or 9 in Madrid or Barcelona.

if I do the 7 nights and 100,000 miles for a cat 8 hotel in Barcelona, that 100000 miles I would transfer to Air Canada, do I have to book directly from Toronto to BCN?
or can I use that 100000 miles as I wish with Aeroplan?
Where I would do a YYZ-MAD, and return via LiS-Yyz?

Or or am I better to just stick with my original plan of 5 nights in each city, and book my air separately with my Aeroplan miles?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Commie
I am trying to determine if it’s in my best interest to use the MR’s travel package deal.

i was planning a trip to Spain/Portugal as follows:

yyz-Madrid stay in MAd for 5 nights
Goto Barcelona by train or air for 5 nights
goto Lisbon for 5 nights
fly back to Yyz from Lisbon

i know the Marriott travel package is for 7 nights.

i thofuhtt I could either extend Madrid or Barcelona for 7 nights.

I would be interested in booking a reward stay at a Cat 8 or 9 in Madrid or Barcelona.

if I do the 7 nights and 100,000 miles for a cat 8 hotel in Barcelona, that 100000 miles I would transfer to Air Canada, do I have to book directly from Toronto to BCN?
Where I would do a YYZ-MAD, and return via LiS-Yyz?

Or or am I better to just stick with my original plan of 5 nights in each city, and book my air separately with my Aeroplan miles?
There is no requirement to use all 7 nights of the TP cert. You could stay 5 nights, leave the hotel and the cert would be fully used.

It's best to find out first what your miles can buy in terms of a trip. The miles deposited into Aeroplan can be used on a partner airline one way or return. Or banked for later.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: whatever it takes
anyone ever order a travel package with ANA miles? I just did that. They said 4-6 weeks for mileage transfer.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
anyone ever order a travel package with ANA miles? I just did that. They said 4-6 weeks for mileage transfer.
Not ANA, but I did TK and was told upto 8 weeks. It turned out to 4. It was a nervous time waiting for the points for a redemeption that was available, as I'd expected just a couple of days' wait to get the TK miles.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Safti
Apparently, Marriott will be allowing those with travel packages to redeem for points. No one will be losing their TP.
Do you have a source link? So it will be just flat points added to your account? That would probably be the best way of handling things and not risking a run on TP redemptions to possibly get some out-sized benefit. It also seems like the benefit of the TP will still be the same, pretty much the TP gives you X miles at 1:1 points + 7 award nights of points.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:06 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Commie
Once the miles are deposited in your Aeroplan account, the use of those miles is based on the rules of Aeroplan as all Marriott will do is dump the miles into that account. How you use them is totally up to you. Marriott won't know or care how they are used.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:59 am

I wish they had been clearer about what would happen to these packages as I just don't know what to do.

I had a Cat 1-5 that I upgraded to Tier 1-3 (moving up as I get more points) and now have enough points to upgrade again to Tier 4-5 as I ultimately want to stay at the RC Dubai which is Tier 5 but don't want to upgrade my package again if they convert Tier 1-3 to Cat 7 (which I assume this RC is going to become). But again I don't want a Tier 1-3 package if they convert a lower package to Cat 7. I mean if this happens are they going to refund everyone that had higher packages? Can we even downgrade our packages?

They should have just suspended package sales and said everyone that has one already can upgrade/downgrade as this is what will happen and then resume sales on August 1 at the new rates.

They have left us all in limbo as I dont want to be spending on packages that are going to be worse off on August 1 and was unnecessary.

Frustrating!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:47 am
kkl

Hotel classifications come out mid June.

I'm sure the TP procedure won't be long after. Still plenty of time before August to hoard points and do what's best before d-day
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
They should have just suspended package sales
Please don't. I love TP and will buy couples before 8/1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.