Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Today I talked to a MR rep on the phone for a good hour.

She said, take it with a grain of salt if you will, that I should attach my 7-night certificates to reservations before August 1 in order for me to keep my reservation in effect. I have two reservations, both of which are booked right now on points (without enough points) for stays next March.

So yeah. I will probably do that, worst case I could cancel if it turns out that they are coverting the 7-night cert to 150K points and my booked hotels are moved to lower cat/ requiring less points.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
No. Read the entire linked thread.
I did, but the reps say different (and if attempt to pay for nights as I think described that would be invalid) - that said if it can be done online and works great - has anyone actually done this successfully - not just booking but actual stay where the hotel doesn't have an issue with it.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I had a 5 night cert which I got a few weeks back. A few days ago I deposited some more points into my account to upgrade this to a cat 9 cert. Today I got a email to say that this has been cancelled and replaced by a 7 night cat 1-5 cert.

Spoke to a CS rep and a supervisor and they are saying that it was the audit team that replaced it due to me not being a MVC member. Issue is that I have made a 5 night reservation which is now within the 30 day cancellation deadline and I don't have any more points to upgrade the 7 night cert to a cat 9. They admit it was a error on their part but say they can't help.

Normally I would walk and cancel my reservation but that is non cancellable now and I don't have enough points for it.

Any suggestions?
Old May 2, 2018, 4:44 pm

On flyertalk, I have not seen anyone mentioning about successfully have a single reservation incorporating more than 7 nights with a few paid nights in middle to use *7-night certificate*.

But I saw one guy mentioning this method on Marriott insider.
https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/49888

I feel this strategy should work as we can use points redemption with mixed paid nights online.

Originally Posted by estnet
I did, but the reps say different (and if attempt to pay for nights as I think described that would be invalid) - that said if it can be done online and works great - has anyone actually done this successfully - not just booking but actual stay where the hotel doesn't have an issue with it.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I had a 5 night cert which I got a few weeks back. A few days ago I deposited some more points into my account to upgrade this to a cat 9 cert. Today I got a email to say that this has been cancelled and replaced by a 7 night cat 1-5 cert.

Spoke to a CS rep and a supervisor and they are saying that it was the audit team that replaced it due to me not being a MVC member. Issue is that I have made a 5 night reservation which is now within the 30 day cancellation deadline and I don't have any more points to upgrade the 7 night cert to a cat 9. They admit it was a error on their part but say they can't help.

Normally I would walk and cancel my reservation but that is non cancellable now and I don't have enough points for it.

Any suggestions?
Call and ask for supervisor. Maybe they can make a one time exception when you explain non cancellable and their error.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Defer receiving miles?

Has anyone been able to order the package and defer receiving the miles? i.e. complete the stay, and choose later which program to credit the miles
Old May 3, 2018, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

Call and ask for supervisor. Maybe they can make a one time exception when you explain non cancellable and their error.
2hrs on 3 different phone calls last night. The first two supervisors were very rude the third said she would look into it and call me back.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Most likely they'll be converted to the new categories on a points-basis. E.g. however many points/night you get for your category will be its new category. Or in other words, they'll retain their POINTS value, not their CATEGORY value. But we really don't know for certain.
Ah, that makes good sense, but wouldn’t be as good as retaining a category (even the one below)! That also answers if it’s worth, for the purposes of arbitrage, upgrading categories before the merge: it will make no difference!

I’ll maybe still upgrade, even just 1 category, before August to benefit from a year extension, the option of which may be removed come August.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Today I talked to a MR rep on the phone for a good hour.

She said, take it with a grain of salt if you will, that I should attach my 7-night certificates to reservations before August 1 in order for me to keep my reservation in effect. I have two reservations, both of which are booked right now on points (without enough points) for stays next March.

So yeah. I will probably do that, worst case I could cancel if it turns out that they are coverting the 7-night cert to 150K points and my booked hotels are moved to lower cat/ requiring less points.
I doubt the reservation will cancel if you don't have a cert attached on August 1. But I would expect that you'd need to attach whatever certificate is required in the new system if you wait beyond that date to redeem the award.

Hopefully we will have all of the information necessary by July for you to make a decision. Both the exact Travel Package awards available in the future and the new category (point level) for your hotel.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped

Hopefully we will have all of the information necessary by July for you to make a decision. Both the exact Travel Package awards available in the future and the new category (point level) for your hotel.
+1 - i sure hope we have the info on categories and clarity on packages transition before they kick in
Old May 3, 2018, 7:57 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
+1 - i sure hope we have the info on categories and clarity on packages transition before they kick in
Do we even know how these will work under the new plan? are all airlines going to be at 120k?
Old May 4, 2018, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any suggestions?
No luck with this one. They are now saying that they have seen a note on my acc that I had called up last Dec and was advised that the 5 night is only for MVC members. They will not be doing anything about this. I have to pay the cash rate for the booking.

It was the audit team that had done this. No need for my account to be audited I can only assume that they must be checking all new 5 night certs?
Old May 4, 2018, 5:45 am

No luck with this one. They are now saying that they have seen a note on my acc that I had called up last Dec and was advised that the 5 night is only for MVC members. They will not be doing anything about this. I have to pay the cash rate for the booking.

It was the audit team that had done this. No need for my account to be audited I can only assume that they must be checking all new 5 night certs?
Sorry to hear that. But you tried.
onlysuites likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by t1c
Do we even know how these will work under the new plan? are all airlines going to be at 120k?
I read somewhere on the Marriott site that the exchange rate for all airline partners would be the same, which I think is good. It didn't specifically mention TPs, but I assume this point would cover TPs and ad hoc MR points->airline miles conversions.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:06 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I read somewhere on the Marriott site that the exchange rate for all airline partners would be the same, which I think is good. It didn't specifically mention TPs, but I assume this point would cover TPs and ad hoc MR points->airline miles conversions.
Since I only redeem with a TP this is a huge deal for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.