Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by musicscrip

You must book a 7 night stay to use the 7 night certificate from travel package. You can just check in on the first day and check out anytime after that you will still be charged (with the 7 night certificate) for the full 7 nights. I don't think the hotels will care at all if you check out earlier cuz that is even better for them.
Right but if I did that (say checked out on after the 5th night) would I still receive the 7 nights' elite credit?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
Airline miles are much more valuable than Marriott points if you have travel flexibility and are using them for high-value redemptions (e.g., international business or first class travel). With the number of transfer partners Marriott has, you can often find some redemptions that you wouldn't be able to access if you were limited to your "home" airline program. That said, not everyone has that kind of flexibility or the desire to use the points in that manner.

I'm confused by your numbers though, or why you think your property is going from 60K (per night? per week?) to 100K.
For average folk I agree.But value is marginal value which depends on other things- especially for my situation. Depends on how many miles you have. The limitation is availability of saver awards (across many airlines) but with the miles I have , adding to them means they won’t get used until they (or my other miles) are devalued. Maybe if I had them in only one airline, but I have several large balances. Plus, in the credit card world, much easier to get airline mile bonuses than hotel bonuses- more airlines than hotel groups.

100k points per night in high season next year for the top category. Still a little lower than the 35k SPG points I was prepared to pay, but this means the points are worth an additional 67% if booked for high season cat 8 hotels.

Last edited by beachfan; Apr 24, 2018 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
For average folk I agree.But value is marginal value which depends on other things- especially for my situation. Depends on how many miles you have. The limitation is availability of saver awards (across many airlines) but with the miles I have , adding to them means they won’t get used until they (or my other miles) are devalued. Maybe if I had them in only one airline, but I have several large balances. Plus, in the credit card world, much easier to get airline mile bonuses than hotel bonuses- more airlines than hotel groups.

In a vacuum, airline miles are more valuable. We do not live in a vacuum, and I trust that you know your situation better than I do. :-)

Originally Posted by beachfan
100k points per night in high season next year for the top category. Still a little lower than the 35k SPG points I was prepared to pay, but this means the points are worth an additional 67% if booked for high season cat 8 hotels.
Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, there is a four+ month period ("August" until December 31) where Marriott points are much more valuable for those particular hotels than they will be next year, so if it's a question of "book that hotel in November" or "save until February and book a travel package," the travel package definitely loses out. In general, though, the travel packages remain a great deal for most people who have enough points to acquire them. Of course, there's no particular reason to assume that your hotel will be Category 8 unless it's one of five that have already been announced.

Last edited by jsloan; Apr 24, 2018 at 11:59 am Reason: edited quote to match edited post
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Does anyone know if you can get a travel package and have the miles go into an airline account in someone else's name? I would like to transfer the miles into my partners account using my marriott points
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Does anyone know if you can get a travel package and have the miles go into an airline account in someone else's name? I would like to transfer the miles into my partners account using my marriott points
No, you can not. You can however move points fairly easily if you both have your SPG accounts linked and share the same address. Move your points to SPG, then move those to her SPG account, then she moves them from her SPG account to her Marriott account to redeem.

I know now some people have said Marriott will allow points pooling for redemptions, but I haven’t used that service myself to confirm.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Drivesabrowntruck
I know now some people have said Marriott will allow points pooling for redemptions, but I haven’t used that service myself to confirm.
They will. I've done it a number of times. But note there is the "side-effect" of the account moving points out will also have their LT points balance reduced by the amount of points moved. The account receiving the points will have its LT points balance increased.

Also note that moving points between SPG accounts requires that both accounts have the same mailing address (and have had the same address for at least 30 days.)
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
They will. I've done it a number of times. But note there is the "side-effect" of the account moving points out will also have their LT points balance reduced by the amount of points moved. The account receiving the points will have its LT points balance increased.
So if I have 70,000 Marriott points and my partner ha 200,000, we can pool the points for a travel package redemption on my account? How does that work i.e. who needs to phone?

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Call MR Customer Service. Tell them exactly what you want to do. They will email or fax you a form that you will fill out the top part and the other person fills out the bottom part. Then send it back to them. Once they have the form, you can call back to order the award and they will pull the required amount of points from the other account and into your account. And then they will issue the award.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Call MR Customer Service. Tell them exactly what you want to do. They will email or fax you a form that you will fill out the top part and the other person fills out the bottom part. Then send it back to them. Once they have the form, you can call back to order the award and they will pull the required amount of points from the other account and into your account. And then they will issue the award.
Awesome. Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by flyer05
Right but if I did that (say checked out on after the 5th night) would I still receive the 7 nights' elite credit?
Unfortunately no, if you checked out. That happened to us on our Khao Lak stay - I debated not checking out and putting up the do not disturb sign and doing the online check out the next morning but I needed to verify the bill so checked out I asked if they could hold off on the check out until the next day, but they refused. Side note, we arrived at 7am,booking the night before and did not receive that night credit either. Next month we will do an online check out at a limited service property to get the extra day (I will need it for 75 nights by August 1.)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by joeags
Unfortunately no, if you checked out. That happened to us on our Khao Lak stay - I debated not checking out and putting up the do not disturb sign and doing the online check out the next morning but I needed to verify the bill so checked out I asked if they could hold off on the check out until the next day, but they refused. Side note, we arrived at 7am,booking the night before and did not receive that night credit either. Next month we will do an online check out at a limited service property to get the extra day (I will need it for 75 nights by August 1.)
I see, thanks for the info. Yeah I’m probably gonna put up the Do Not Disturb and online check out.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you want to verify your bill, just stop by the front desk at any time and ask for a copy of your current folio. No need to mention checking out... I've certainly done this mid-stay for the purpose of recording expenses many times. Totally normal request...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
If you want to verify your bill, just stop by the front desk at any time and ask for a copy of your current folio. No need to mention checking out... I've certainly done this mid-stay for the purpose of recording expenses many times. Totally normal request...
I've actually gone a step further, especially when departing early the next day, and settled my bill the evening before. This is usually in other countries where I have local currency I want to apply to my bill.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I've actually gone a step further, especially when departing early the next day, and settled my bill the evening before. This is usually in other countries where I have local currency I want to apply to my bill.
Definitely - I've done that too, but for some strange reason it sounds like joeags ran into a hotel that was giving him problems with settling the bill without checking out. I don't fully understand what happened...

Back in the days of the "Premium Pounds" paper certificates at Marriott hotels, I used to always apply them to my bill the day prior to my departure, just so I could see the exchange rate and make sure they didn't hose me. If they got it wrong, which they often did, I knew it would be a 5-10 minute discussion to get it straightened out (and I wouldn't want to have that discussion as I was trying to get out to catch a flight or whatever). So yeah, they can definitely take a payment for whatever reason early...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
Back in the days of the "Premium Pounds" paper certificates at Marriott hotels, I used to always apply them to my bill the day prior to my departure, just so I could see the exchange rate and make sure they didn't hose me. If they got it wrong, which they often did, I knew it would be a 5-10 minute discussion to get it straightened out (and I wouldn't want to have that discussion as I was trying to get out to catch a flight or whatever). So yeah, they can definitely take a payment for whatever reason early...
Ditto on the PP. Or running into a FDC at 0600 that was clueless about them and no one was around to help. One only made that mistake once back then, or hopefully never if they read about them on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.