Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:09 pm

I did it last year because I wanted to book for this summer's travel. Yes, now it looks like aeroplan excluded the marriott travel package for the bonus...sad!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Does the expiration date of a certificate remain the same when upgrading the category? I have a cat5 cert that I'm fairly certain I'll upgrade to cat9, so I was curious if you could keep bumping the category one level at a time to extend the expiration date.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:47 pm

Did anyone hear anything about Marriott 7-night Travel Package going away soon or after the Marriott/SPG merger?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DelAbbot
Did anyone hear anything about Marriott 7-night Travel Package going away soon or after the Marriott/SPG merger?
Not explicitly.

But one of the active threads discusses a rumor that Marriott is moving to a "dynamic pricing" system (think Southwest Rapid Rewards), doing away with categories. So if the TP survives, it does so in a pretty altered format.

Maybe 270k MR = 120k airline miles + a $1400 gift card? That's approximately the Cat 5 TP value today... The pessimist in me does *not* actually expect a gift card award to exist, but some similar mechanic would have to get created for there to be TP's in a Southwest-style program.

It's all just rumors of course.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Does the expiration date of a certificate remain the same when upgrading the category? I have a cat5 cert that I'm fairly certain I'll upgrade to cat9, so I was curious if you could keep bumping the category one level at a time to extend the expiration date.
Yes, it does keep extending the expiration date.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Yes, it does keep extending the expiration date.
Hmmmm.... Wonder why this hasn't received more play on FT over the years?

(1) Redeem Cat 5 cert...five years ago today.
(2) Call Apr 8, 2014 to ask for the courtesy extension.
(3) Call Apr 7, 2015 to upgrade it to a Cat 6.
(4) Call Apr 6, 2016 to upgrade it to a Cat 7
(5) Call Apr 5, 2017 to upgrade it to a Cat 8
(6) Call Apr 4, 2018 to upgrade it to a Cat 9
(7) Complete stay by Apr 3, 2019....six years after redeeming it.

Would that have worked? (I mean, not that it's a terribly smart thing to *plan* to do...that's six years of category increases you had to live through...)
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DelAbbot
Wondering the same thing. I still have 7 day cert that expires next year. Was hoping to use for Hawaii next year. I have not upgraded to Category 8 yet. Wanted to wait until closer to date. Trying to decide if i should put points in now to get certificate. Of course, Marriott has right to change hotel pricing and with certificate, it is only a certificate, not a guarantee the hotel I already reserved for 2019 will stay at same price. Correct me if I am wrong!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pinniped
Hmmmm.... Wonder why this hasn't received more play on FT over the years?

(1) Redeem Cat 5 cert...five years ago today.
(2) Call Apr 8, 2014 to ask for the courtesy extension.
(3) Call Apr 7, 2015 to upgrade it to a Cat 6.
(4) Call Apr 6, 2016 to upgrade it to a Cat 7
(5) Call Apr 5, 2017 to upgrade it to a Cat 8
(6) Call Apr 4, 2018 to upgrade it to a Cat 9
(7) Complete stay by Apr 3, 2019....six years after redeeming it.

Would that have worked? (I mean, not that it's a terribly smart thing to *plan* to do...that's six years of category increases you had to live through...)
That's why I asked. I haven't heard anyone mention it so I wasn't sure if it was even possible. If you're planning to do cat9 there's not really anywhere Marriott can move the categories up to. At least until they invent a cat10. Obviously not a good long term plan but it could have its uses.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
That's why I asked. I haven't heard anyone mention it so I wasn't sure if it was even possible. If you're planning to do cat9 there's not really anywhere Marriott can move the categories up to. At least until they invent a cat10. Obviously not a good long term plan but it could have its uses.
Issue I see is that Marriott is likely going to increase the tiers and combine them in some way. So right now they have Ritz separate so you don't have Marriotts creeping up above Cat 9. In theory if they instead had 15 categories, some of the top Marriotts would increase while I assume the Cat9 cert would stay at Cat 9. I have two unexpired certs and this has me worried since I don't have an immediate redemption plan.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
Issue I see is that Marriott is likely going to increase the tiers and combine them in some way. So right now they have Ritz separate so you don't have Marriotts creeping up above Cat 9. In theory if they instead had 15 categories, some of the top Marriotts would increase while I assume the Cat9 cert would stay at Cat 9. I have two unexpired certs and this has me worried since I don't have an immediate redemption plan.
Yeah with the upcoming program changes the idea is probably a bit late to the game. Guess we'll see if the travel packages stick around after the changes.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
Is there a time frame for the change?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Can I transfer the airline miles to my SO's airline account instead of my own or do they verify the name?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:19 pm

Best value airline transfer partner at the moment after taking promotional bonuses into account? United (+10%), Avianca Lifemiles (+25%) or something else?

I've got more American / Alaska than I know what to do with.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mster
Best value airline transfer partner at the moment after taking promotional bonuses into account? United (+10%), Avianca Lifemiles (+25%) or something else?

I've got more American / Alaska than I know what to do with.
Only you can decide which is "best". Where will you be flying in the next 12-24 months?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:55 pm

With the impending program changes, I'm thinking about redeeming some travel packages while we still have the chance. I'm confident that they'll still honor the certificates, the issue though is expiry.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the ability to extend is an unofficial thing? I'm scared this will go away with the new combined program and I'll be left with too many certificates to use up in a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.