Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:08 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bidu
Just transfered to alaska using TP and the agent told me it takes 2 weeks. Is it take that long or usually faster? Can i get free expedited with gold marriott?
I think the transfer "timing" has more to do with when each airline processes their transfer requests. When a TP award is requested, Marriott puts the transfer request into a "queue" for each airline. When each airline processes that queue is up to them. Some process more often (i.e weekly or even a couple of times a week) others may not process the requests as often. I do believe the "2 weeks" mentioned is the longest lead time any airline might have and even then probably means you would have sent in your request just after they processed a batch of transfer requests.

So it has less to do with Marriott and more to do with each airline. At least that is what I have been told in the past.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Was wondering if AA runs a 20% bonus for transfers from hotel programs does the miles I send over from a travel package also attract the 20% extra. Not that they are running any bonus now but was just wondering before I converted some points.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:32 am
alc

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Was wondering if AA runs a 20% bonus for transfers from hotel programs does the miles I send over from a travel package also attract the 20% extra. Not that they are running any bonus now but was just wondering before I converted some points.
the one from last Spring yes but the one in the fall no.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
British Airways Avios has a transfer bonus of 35% when you transfer hotel points, it says through 3/31. Would that work with Marriott travel package?
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mitchwebb
British Airways Avios has a transfer bonus of 35% when you transfer hotel points, it says through 3/31. Would that work with Marriott travel package?
It could. Read analysis here: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...-points-avios/
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Is there information if any of these can be redeemed for All-Inclusive Resorts? There's so few of those in the Marriott portfolio to begin with, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. Search hasn't yielded much, both on flyertalk and the marriott website... Especially since most (all?) of Marriott's resort aren't "JUST all-inclusive" but require some sort of higher rate selected that is specifically all-inclusive, makes it difficult to check for points.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by mitchwebb
It worked for me in february 2017 : Hotels - MARRIOTT POINTS TO AVIOS 120,000 Marriott 35% Bonus Avios 42,000
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this the only number 1-800-321-7396 to call when in need to extend the cert for 2nd year?

I cannot remember what number I called at redemption in late Mar 2017. Would appreciate the info should anyone know other numbers.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Is there information if any of these can be redeemed for All-Inclusive Resorts? There's so few of those in the Marriott portfolio to begin with, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. Search hasn't yielded much, both on flyertalk and the marriott website... Especially since most (all?) of Marriott's resort aren't "JUST all-inclusive" but require some sort of higher rate selected that is specifically all-inclusive, makes it difficult to check for points.
I redeemed an award at the JW Cancun long ago (2007-ish). It was a regular award, room-only, in a regular category. When I got down there, I saw ads for all-inclusive as an add-on. We had our two small children with us and didn't plan on drinking our faces off and gorging at buffets every day, so we passed on the offer. But to answer the question, yes, I redeemed a Travel Package at a resort where there was an AI option. I even seem to recall that you could redeem a separate award for the AI, although I could be mistaken.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I enquired about this for a property in Turkey (that's no longer Marriott). There was a compulsory all-inclusive daily fee per person. Since we would have used it as a family of 4, the compulsory fee total for us was higher than the cash cost of the room, so it would have lost us money and the cert to have taken this option. I mailed the hotel directly to point this out and they insisted that was the only option. We didn't stay at the property in the end. Hopefully you'll have better luck somewhere...
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:14 pm

I could be wrong, but I thought they did away with the option of using points to upgrade to AI.

Years ago they did have that option in a few resorts in the Caribbean.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Is this the only number 1-800-321-7396 to call when in need to extend the cert for 2nd year?

I cannot remember what number I called at redemption in late Mar 2017. Would appreciate the info should anyone know other numbers.
Thats the one I used to extend my Visa free night one.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've just phoned the regular MR number to extend a Travel Package. Whatever is on the back of my Gold/Plat/whatever card I have at the time.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've just phoned the regular MR number to extend a Travel Package. Whatever is on the back of my Gold/Plat/whatever card I have at the time.
Should I call Elite Guest Service Line or Elite Reservation Line to ask for extension? Also, does anyone have experience to call them at night instead? Wondering whether I should call them now or wait until tomorrow morning.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Travel Package to United

Hi, do I need to be a TravelPlus member to get a Marriott Travel Package with United? I'm a little confused as the award chart specifies TravelPlus not simply UA. I'm not a TravelPlus member as I have not used my United account or flown with them for over ten years. I'm Marriott gold if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.