Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
That is what I suggested, book the room then email the property to inform them there are a 3rd guest - AND tell the property the truth the 3rd guest is 14 years old - as it is a huge difference between a 4 years old and a 14 years old. The property would then tell you what they can and can not accommodate, at what cost.
Yes, I was agreeing with your method, while also indicating that it might be possible to avoid the extra person charges (we did until our son was in college!), in addition to noting a few hotels that might fit their MR points budget (after July).
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Alaska or United. 50% more miles goes a long way, unless you've discovered a real sweet spot.

But if you've moving up the scale to a nicer hotel, you might want to consider just going for one of the real top-end hotels that will only cost 20K Starpoints per night from August until December. Forget the miles...
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
Would that be something like St Regis Princeville? Looks like that would cost me an extra 20K SPG pints plus giving up the 120K Alaska miles. Not sure it’d be enough nicer than the Wailea Marriott to tempt me?

Looks like in moving my post that the original question has gone missing?

Last edited by daveinsf; Jun 30, 2018 at 8:37 pm Reason: Note tip Moderator
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Alaska or United. 50% more miles goes a long way, unless you've discovered a real sweet spot.

But if you've moving up the scale to a nicer hotel, you might want to consider just going for one of the real top-end hotels that will only cost 20K Starpoints per night from August until December. Forget the miles...
Actually not just the high end SPG properties, but also how many hotel nights you may need and at what point costs, and how much are the balances in your various FFPs.

After spending some time earlier today to go over some countries / destinations to see how the charts look like - now and after August 1st - it seems to me for our travel needs, keeping a good chunk of points for hotel stays might work better for us than redeem as many TPs as possible, despite the huge devaluation of TP. Would still redeem 1 TP but it is going to Aeroplan versus the most popular AS. I am not comfortable with the CX availability trend as well as the long over due devaluation on both CX and JL charts. With our current AS balances enough to cover 2019 and beyond, we should be in burn mode instead of add mode with the how the things currently are going at AS.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Somewhere else, I read where Marriott will allow hotels to declare up to half of their total dates as "peak" dates. This is concerning, because most hotels in the world do *not* have 6-months of peak season. Most have 2-3 months, and many have less than that. What dates is a random Marriott in Iowa going to declare as "peak"?
Not to give anyone any ideas, but if I ran a hotel under these rules I would label every other day as peak, so that no >1-day stay could be off-peak.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape

Not to give anyone any ideas, but if I ran a hotel under these rules I would label every other day as peak, so that no >1-day stay could be off-peak.
Or some days in a week are being Peak period - i.e. weekends for resort or vacation hotels and midweek for big city hotels - this essentially is why the new TP is priced - all based on Peak point levels.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Or some days in a week are being Peak period - i.e. weekends for resort or vacation hotels and midweek for big city hotels - this essentially is why the new TP is priced - all based on Peak point levels.
It seems to me they should be offering peak and non-peak TP? It shouldn't be that difficult to do.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:14 am

The travel packs are priced to only be worth it for peak redemptions for the higher categories.fully intentional
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:37 am

Curious if anyone could answer this. If I redeem the Travel Packages for Aeroplan points, does the conversion count for the Aeroplan conversion bonus (currently promotion for 35% Aeroplan bonus)?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:41 am

Oh come on. Marriott's travel pack page even specifically calls out Aeroplan
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
It seems to me they should be offering peak and non-peak TP? It shouldn't be that difficult to do.
You forgot the important part - hotels are freely to set what days are peak period. As I said, hotels can easily make some days of the week as peak period, making your 7 nights cert of off peak value (if that is done as you feel should be) totally unusable due to there are Peak period in the middle of the 7 nights.

On top of that, if you are not aware of such in the past, by now you should fully be aware just from observation that Marriott is not out to make it easy for its members in every aspect. What you think they should versus what they think they should, (to maximize their profit), obviously are not the same. As of now we still dont know how the Floater certs would be converted other than it would be to points. Nor we are told what would happen if an attached cert is canceled within the free cancellation period due to the member cannot make the stay. Just 2 examples that concern many on this thread, to show you how much Marriott cares the welfare of its members.

They already have huge IT issues just on how pay reservations are displayed online, and other issues (both account balance and account activity is not instantly updated after you transfer pts from SPG for example), I dont think making the Cert having off peak and peak variety has ever occurred on their agenda.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 1, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spriteguy
Curious if anyone could answer this. If I redeem the Travel Packages for Aeroplan points, does the conversion count for the Aeroplan conversion bonus (currently promotion for 35% Aeroplan bonus)?
No. That stopped since July 2017.

Do you ever read the Travel Package screen on Marriott website?

Marriott has put in specific language about the Aeroplan transfer will not earn promotion bonus, right on Marriott screen. Those are on Travel Package screen since last year.

Originally Posted by crimsona
Oh come on. Marriott's travel pack page even specifically calls out Aeroplan
Exactly.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Has it been confirmed that you will be able to use the hotel portion of a current travel package to book a hotel after the changes take effect August 1? Or will Marriott just give you the points value back in your account? I think I had read that if you have any of the category 1-5 certs from CHase in your account they will convert to 25,000 points.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:08 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holocker
Has it been confirmed that you will be able to use the hotel portion of a current travel package to book a hotel after the changes take effect August 1? Or will Marriott just give you the points value back in your account? I think I had read that if you have any of the category 1-5 certs from CHase in your account they will convert to 25,000 points.
The last few days, we have seen hints that the current unused certs will be exchanged for a comparable level in the new program. It now seems unlikely that we'll get points for unused certs. My hope is that those certs can be used for both Starwood and Marriott properties. I have yet to see anything definitive, though.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by spriteguy
There's no transfer bonus promo currently. The one listed on their site is from 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.