Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zerodegre
I called elite services today and I was assured by a representative that the travel certificates would remain as they are. If it’s a cat 1-5. It is I’ll still give you a cat 1-5 in new system. Or a cat 6 will still get the new cat 6 in new system. I asked her several times to make sure this was correct. She should assured me that it was and gave me her name to contact her and where she worked.( San Antonio) elite services.

So what does a Category 8 or 9 give you? How about Tier 1, 2 and 3? Would you be so kind as to contact her and clarify that for the community? Thank you.

James
RafKa likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zerodegre
I called elite services today and I was assured by a representative that the travel certificates would remain as they are. If it’s a cat 1-5. It is I’ll still give you a cat 1-5 in new system. Or a cat 6 will still get the new cat 6 in new system. I asked her several times to make sure this was correct. She should assured me that it was and gave me her name to contact her and where she worked.( San Antonio) elite services.

Well, as we all know, Marriott CSRs are never wrong about anything, and never make anything up.

i was told the same thing two weeks ago. The chance of it being correct is basically zero.
RafKa and 604flyer like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:07 pm

I really wonder what will happen to my 7N Cat 6 certificate after Aug 1. Will it be rounded up or rounded down???
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
Originally Posted by Happy
I hate to tell you that but I have not ever seen a business class award availability on Fiji airline. On top of that, their seats are recliners not lie-flat.
Well I am only looking for 1 seat, so hope that helps. According to Seat Guru, A330-300 is flying that route and it is listed as a lie flat seating, or perhaps it is the one with the slight angle. Hope that is lie flat. Perhaps you have the A330-200 which is listed as Angled seats.

AS points will not work, as then I would still have to pay for fare to LAX as AS does not fly from IAH. AA I have LT status on, even though I no longer live at a hub for AA. It was the best option for my circumstances.

Last edited by vandesa; Jul 9, 2018 at 11:12 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jrey
I really wonder what will happen to my 7N Cat 6 certificate after Aug 1. Will it be rounded up or rounded down???
I’m considering pulling the trigger on a Cat 6 TP, in anticipation of an SPG property going to new Cat 5. Assuming it gets rounded down, I would expect (hope) at the very least we would be refunded the original 30k difference.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX

Well, as we all know, Marriott CSRs are never wrong about anything, and never make anything up.

i was told the same thing two weeks ago. The chance of it being correct is basically zero.
i am just documenting the name of the reps I talk to and which city and department. So when time comes if they try to screw me over I will have some recourse and documentation of what they told me. Even recorded the call yesterday lol
imverge likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:13 am

In light of what some Marriott reps have said (however unreliable they may be) about existing certs being usable at the new category levels, is it not a risk-free gamble to upgrade existing Cat 1-5 certs to Cat 7 for 60K points each?

If the certificates end up being usable at the same categories (i.e., usable at the new Cat 7s), all of a sudden I'm able to use them for seven nights at the W Maldives (as an example).

If the certificates end up being refunded in points, then I get my points back.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by flyer05
In light of what some Marriott reps have said (however unreliable they may be) about existing certs being usable at the new category levels, is it not a risk-free gamble to upgrade existing Cat 1-5 certs to Cat 7 for 60K points each?

If the certificates end up being usable at the same categories (i.e., usable at the new Cat 7s), all of a sudden I'm able to use them for seven nights at the W Maldives (as an example).

Soooo if I understand you: it is wise to buy the category seven certificate. I'm buying Starpoints now to top off my account and x-fer to Marriott for this purpose: because I am imagining the scenario you have just laid out. (What is disconcerting is how I have seen comments/posts that say to wait too.)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by olindacat
Soooo if I understand you: it is wise to buy the category seven certificate. I'm buying Starpoints now to top off my account and x-fer to Marriott for this purpose: because I am imagining the scenario you have just laid out. (What is disconcerting is how I have seen comments/posts that say to wait too.)
It is WISE to do what works best for you and not do anything based on other's speculation! This one has about a 0% chance of happening unless they allow upgrading the certificate with 150,000 additional points. Getting a Category 7+ in the New Program for 35K per night just won't happen.

James
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:37 pm

This is a disaster. I've spoken to two separate people, both of whom just sent me back into the holding music after taking my MR number and being told what I am trying to book. At least the second one seemed to be trying to look something up for a minute before she had to go "check if the system is down."
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by clarkrock7
This is a disaster. I've spoken to two separate people, both of whom just sent me back into the holding music after taking my MR number and being told what I am trying to book. At least the second one seemed to be trying to look something up for a minute before she had to go "check if the system is down."
I had a good experience, on hold for about 5 or 6 minutes, Requested a Cat 8 TP, provided dates and hotel I wanted. Certificate issued & attached, 120K to AS, advised 3 days for miles to post, no mention of fee to expidite, email confirmations sent and all completed in under 15 minutes including the hold.

I was impressed.

James
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:16 pm

Marriott travel package and Alaska processing time

hi all, I decided to redeem 270k Marriott points to 120k alaska and 7 nights. When I called the agent offered 5 nights package instead of 7 nights and insisted that it is available to public. Anyway l, this was on Sunday, July 1st and the 5 nights certificate showed up right away but no alaska miles as of today July 10th. Any other experience with alaska lately? Appreciate any input. I don’t want to call Marriott in case they change my package to 7 nights.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by joesph
hi all, I decided to redeem 270k Marriott points to 120k alaska and 7 nights. When I called the agent offered 5 nights package instead of 7 nights and insisted that it is available to public. Anyway l, this was on Sunday, July 1st and the 5 nights certificate showed up right away but no alaska miles as of today July 10th. Any other experience with alaska lately? Appreciate any input. I don’t want to call Marriott in case they change my package to 7 nights.
What number did you call? US?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by flyer05

That’s one of the biggest cases of wishful thinking I’ve seen here, but by all means go ahead and redeem your Cat 7 TP and good luck on booking your Maldives trip after the merger.

By the same logic, those holding Cat 9 or Tier 1-3 TPs can look forward to 7 nights at the White House, International Space Station, or perhaps Mars.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:15 pm

Marriott alaksa

Originally Posted by tth6133
What number did you call? US?
I called .1 (800) 321-7396‬ at 11:30 am pacific time. I don’t know if the call got routed overseas to South America. It was a Sunday and the agent was so nice and told me it would cost me 230k points. I said weird I thought it was 270k, he confirmed it was 230k for the 5 nights which I expressed my surprise that it was an option. He confirmed it was an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.