Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Has anyone ever had any luck using the 7 night certificate at the same property non consecutively?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Only you can decide which is "best". Where will you be flying in the next 12-24 months?
Anywhere and everywhere. I'm asking for opinions on which airline transfer partner folks here perceive to offer the best relative value.

This could be:
(1) The airline transfer partner offering the highest total transfer value (miles added to airline partner account * cpp - AS, BA, UA)
(2) The airline transfer partner offering the highest additional hidden value (think lack of bank transfer partners, low earning rates, or specific outlier redemptions - AV, LA, VS, NH, JL...)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Has anyone ever had any luck using the 7 night certificate at the same property non consecutively?
I want to say I've seen posts where people have redeemed award certificates for non-consecutive nights in one very limited case: they didn't leave the hotel. There were paid nights in the middle.

I recall this being more of a thing in the former two-tier award system. The "regular" tier was not available for one random night in the middle of your stay, so you could either redeem the higher tier award or just pay for the room - and they'd allow you to use the single long certificate for the rest of the nights.

Never done it myself and haven't seen recent posts about it.

If your idea was "stay 3 nights in April, 2 in July, and 2 in November", no - that's definitely not allowed on a single certificate. There used to be a couple hotel-hopper certs but there isn't a Travel Package with this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I once had a manager agree to allow me to stay for two consecutive weekends, though we did not end up taking him up on the kind offer. I got the impression that it was not something they could actually do in the system, but rather something he would do at the back end because of low weekend occupancy at that location.

Definitely not something you'll be able to do through MR, it'd have to be arranged directly with the property.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:53 pm

Is it possible to use the 7N cert for family members? When book a hotel through the current new interface, I only see "Billing name and address", is this the right place to enter the real Guest name?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by tonywush
Is it possible to use the 7N cert for family members? When book a hotel through the current new interface, I only see "Billing name and address", is this the right place to enter the real Guest name?
Reservations will happily add the additional guest name for you.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by mster
Anywhere and everywhere. I'm asking for opinions on which airline transfer partner folks here perceive to offer the best relative value.

This could be:
(1) The airline transfer partner offering the highest total transfer value (miles added to airline partner account * cpp - AS, BA, UA)
(2) The airline transfer partner offering the highest additional hidden value (think lack of bank transfer partners, low earning rates, or specific outlier redemptions - AV, LA, VS, NH, JL...)
I'm looking at alaska, jal, and asiana, 3 that other programs do not transfer to and are not otherwise easy to get in large amounts(although that barclays card could change that slightly for jal). If aeroplan's hotel bonus worked I would go for that, but that sadly isn't an option. If you want to fly in lufthansa first class from europe to the us, perhaps asiana. Asiana points last 10 years, while JAL only 3. Asiana has a credit card too to help pad your balance.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pinniped
Never done it myself and haven't seen recent posts about it.

If your idea was "stay 3 nights in April, 2 in July, and 2 in November", no - that's definitely not allowed on a single certificate. There used to be a couple hotel-hopper certs but there isn't a Travel Package with this.
Here is a recent thread where someone walks through the process of making a reservation online when you are paying for a night or two in the middle of using the cert: 5th Night Free - Non Consecutive Award Nights / Same Stay

And I miss the hopper certs!

Originally Posted by synergistic
I once had a manager agree to allow me to stay for two consecutive weekends, though we did not end up taking him up on the kind offer. I got the impression that it was not something they could actually do in the system, but rather something he would do at the back end because of low weekend occupancy at that location.

Definitely not something you'll be able to do through MR, it'd have to be arranged directly with the property.
I begged the manager I know of a hotel where I stay frequently and he said if he got caught not only would they not get reimbursed, but they would have to pay a fine to Marriott. I wanted to do three nights, go to a beach and pay to stay at another Marriott for three nights and return for the last four nights.

Originally Posted by stargold
Reservations will happily add the additional guest name for you.
First, I believe you can put anyone's name on the cert but once it is issued the name cannot be changed. I know many people use the "additional guest" trick, but use caution on that one. I once had two rooms, one on a cert and the other with points, at the Atl Marquis. While they would let the other guest, my sister, check into the points room, they scanned and were going to charge her cc if I did not personally show up at the desk sometime by the end of the day before giving her the key to the cert room. I was also once at a front desk where an older woman was arguing over the phone with someone because the hotel would not let her check in as the second guest to use a cert. She explained to me that the person whose name was on the cert was across an ocean and asked if I had an idea. I just said no. Certainly the last thing someone would want is to promise a friend/relative a seven day paid stay, have the person show up and for them not be be able to check in, have to pay for the room or scramble to make different arrangements.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:10 am

I've used the TP certs for friends and family in NY, BKK and HKG so far, and none of them reported any problems.

Credit card free nights are treated differently because they are definitely for own use only. When you say "cert", do you mean TP cert?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by stargold
I've used the TP certs for friends and family in NY, BKK and HKG so far, and none of them reported any problems.

Credit card free nights are treated differently because they are definitely for own use only. When you say "cert", do you mean TP cert?
Yes, that was a cc cert mentioned above, but I believe once a TP cert is issued the name cannot be changed nor can anyone else use it. There was someone who posted a couple years ago who had ordered a cert, not used it, extended it and was about to lose it because it could not get extended again nor could she transfer it for someone else to use. IIRC, several people offered suggestions but ultimately she had a very small number of points returned to her account. So you could run into the same issue if you try to check into a hotel as a second guest on a cert without the first guest being there. Will you? Maybe not. Might you? Be prepared with a Plan B.

If a cert cannot be transferred then having someone check in as a second guest to circumvent the rule is going to be against the rules. Yes, people do it and get away with it, but if you are going to send someone else on a vacation hoping it works and it doesn't, what do you do?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:07 am

It seems to me that you're conflating the issues - let's try to break it down. And I emphasise that the below is not intended to be confrontational, but simply to understand where you're coming from.

1. CC cert vs. TP cert
It's well established that CC certs are for own use only and you are required to be present in person when you use a CC cert. I have not specifically checked, but I have never been made aware of any equivalent provision in relation to the TP certs which prevents Second Guest. Is there anything?

2. TP Cert name change
Your example of the poster who couldn't use her TP cert in time would only support your position if she tried to add a Second Guest for someone else to use, and they were refused check-in.

If the only question that was ever asked was "Can I change the name on my TP cert to another name", the answer would of course always be "No", because that is the factual position. It wouldn't be the same answer if the question was "Is there any way for someone else to use my TP cert before it expires?"

3. Second guest against the rules?
On a daily basis, lots and lots of people issue points awards in the member's name, and use the Second Guest feature to transfer the award. That has never been an issue. Are you saying that this is also against the rules?

If it is accepted that "transferring" an award via Second Guest is within the rules, but argued that transferring a TP cert via Second Guest is prohibited, then there has to be some specific provision which changes the position for TP certs vs. points awards. Which then goes back to my point no. 1.

(If you are saying that all uses of the Second Guest feature is against the rules when the primary guest is not present, then that's a different question entirely, and Marriott should clarify this in their rules.)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:15 am

There is no prohibition against changing a points reservation, returning the points, putting a different name on the reservation, giving someone a points reservation, etc. Using the second guest "feature" when the first guest will not be staying is against the T&Cs and, perhaps, some local laws. The correct thing to do is make the reservation in the other person's name and use your points to pay. You used to be able to do this easily online but it is now easier to call. The guest listed on a reservation should always be the guest that is staying in the room. The T&Cs state this over and over. Someone recently posted that his account was closed for putting himself as the guest when he was not staying in the property, and I recently had a property reach out to me when I made a reservation for someone else letting me know my name would need to be removed. Here is part of the email from the hotel manager:
In case your sister and her family is staying we will need to change the reservation to her name and unfortunately delete you from the reservation. Otherwise we can be heavily sanctioned.
It was late and my sister had dropped off the phone. We intended to call back the next day, which we did, to change everything, but the hotel manager sent us this before we called back.

Yes, people get away with listing someone who will not be staying in the room as the primary guest, and in the case of a points reservation since you could accomplish the same thing without having the person listed as a guest the hotel is not likely to care, but if the cert cannot be transferred the hotel might push the issue. In other words, if you cannot transfer the cert trying to accomplish the same thing by listing a second guest is not going to be within the rules.

ADDED: Just had to call MR about something else so I asked... The TP cert is in the member's name but it can be used to pay for a reservation in anyone else's name. The reservation should be made in the name of the person staying and the giver should not and need not be on the reservation.

Last edited by CJKatl; Apr 12, 2018 at 8:26 am
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:15 pm

Thanks everyone's response.

Here is my understanding:
1) Cert from CC or MegaBonus
You cannot use it for others as prohibited by the rule. In Marriott's system, these certs are presented as "0 point" value, which I interpret it as bind to the cert owner permanently and Primary guest name cannot be changed. You may add secondary guest, however, Primary guest needs to show up, by principle. (Although in reality YMMV)

2) Cert from TP or Point redemption
You can use it for others, as long as you call the reservation team to have proper info entered. (See #2154 ) In Marriott's system, these certs usually have "XXX point" value, which I interpret it as an opposite way of situation #1 . Also as per T&C, you can gift it to others as long as it is not abused such as selling.

In both cases, the Elite night will be credited to the original cert owner.

I have seen many conflicting saying about different usage scenarios/outcomes. But this is what I understand it so far.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think with all of my "redeem for someone else" awards, I've just put the person as Guest 2 and they've checked in with no problems. Of course, "Guest 2" has always been my wife or a parent - it's not like I'm giving these certificates to buddies who might throw a party and trash a hotel room. Technically, I know you should call Marriott, make the other person Guest 1, and get yourself (and your credit card) completely detached from the reservation.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by tonywush
Thanks everyone's response.

Here is my understanding:
1) Cert from CC or MegaBonus
You cannot use it for others as prohibited by the rule. In Marriott's system, these certs are presented as "0 point" value, which I interpret it as bind to the cert owner permanently and Primary guest name cannot be changed. You may add secondary guest, however, Primary guest needs to show up, by principle. (Although in reality YMMV)

2) Cert from TP or Point redemption
You can use it for others, as long as you call the reservation team to have proper info entered. (See #2154 ) In Marriott's system, these certs usually have "XXX point" value, which I interpret it as an opposite way of situation #1 . Also as per T&C, you can gift it to others as long as it is not abused such as selling.

In both cases, the Elite night will be credited to the original cert owner.

I have seen many conflicting saying about different usage scenarios/outcomes. But this is what I understand it so far.
You are correct on the first scenario. Most people do not get caught but it is technically against the rules. You are correct on the second, too. BUT... the cert owner will not be credited when the cert is attached to the other person's reservation as the gifting member did not stay. Interestingly, I just had lunch three hours ago with a friend who used my points to stay at the NYC Element. Shortly after I called Marriott to get the missing welcome points for some other stays and the phone clerk noticed there was no credit for that stay. I explained that was because my friends actually stayed, not me. She agreed I should not get the points but gave them to me anyway!

And no, my friend didn't pay for my lunch so it cannot be interpreted as selling the points, but dontchya think she should have? I gave her and her husband about $600 worth of hotel stays. You would think she would pick up a $15 lunch tab. And the other friend at lunch has also used my points and will be using them in a few weeks. No paying for my lunch there, either. These are friends of 32 and 36 years who are more like family, but still, now that I think about it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.