Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Aero137

So Cat 1-5 packages will map to Cat 1-4, Cat 7 will map to Cat 5. That will be pretty straight forward.

Less clear will be Tier 1-3 packages, but will probably allow redemption at up to Cat 6.

But what happens to Cat 6, 8, & 9 which values are between levels? And Tier 4-5 which value higher than the 8/1-12/31 chart. Refund of points?
I am going to redeem Cat 9 travel package in the near future and I would think I should able to use on the new Cat 7 hotels from 8/1-12/31 chart. Perhaps if they are going to the points value based, it will be reduced to 5 nights. Still I think it will be great opportunity to stay at SPG's top properties for at least 5 nights. I wouldn't wait until 8/1 to redeem as I am sure Marriott will put some restrictions before then.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:40 pm

I have a Free Night Certificate from a Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card. Can I use it at an SPG hotel (or vice versa) after August?

Members may book a redemption reservation with an existing Free Night Certificate under the current terms up until August 2018, even if the arrival date is after August 2018. Starting in August, any outstanding Certificates will be updated from Category-based to points-based values in the new combined redemption chart and may be used for stays at Rewards or SPG hotels up to the points value displayed on your updated Certificate. For example, you will be able to apply a Marriott Rewards Free Night Certificate to an SPG stay, or an SPG Free Night Award to a Marriott Rewards stay. Ritz-Carlton Rewards Free Night Certificates can also be applied to Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels.
If the same logic is applied to Travel Packages, this could present some quite interesting opportunities to redeem a 7-night certificate for a non-7 night stay. E.g. suppose you have a Cat 1-5 Voucher sitting in your account at 1 August. This would presumably be converted into a 150,000 Point certificate (6 nts x 25,000, taking into account the 5th night free). This could then be used (for example) for a 3 night stay at a new Category 6.

I suspect that this will only be possible for pre-August certificates that are not redeemed by 1 August. I fully expect Travel Packages sold after 1 August to be based on the new Category bands.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Aero137
So Cat 1-5 packages will map to Cat 1-4, Cat 7 will map to Cat 5. That will be pretty straight forward.

Less clear will be Tier 1-3 packages, but will probably allow redemption at up to Cat 6.

But what happens to Cat 6, 8, & 9 which values are between levels? And Tier 4-5 which value higher than the 8/1-12/31 chart. Refund of points?
Given the approach to CC free night vouchers, I suspect they'll just convert 7-night vouchers into Points Vouchers, i.e.

Cat 1-5 > 150,000 Point Voucher
Cat 6 > 180,000 Point Voucher
Cat 7 > 210,000 Point Voucher
Cat 8 > 240,000 Point Voucher
Cat 9 > 270,000 Point Voucher
Tier 1-3 > 300,000 Point Voucher
Tier 4-5 > 420,000 Point Voucher

That's simple, fair, and allows people to put the points towards whatever they want after 1 August. It also saves Marriott having to awkwardly compare legacy Categories to current Categories.

Per my previous post, I suspect this will be a one-off opportunity for legacy Travel Package certificates that are outstanding at 1 August, and that new packages sold post 1 August will be based on the new tiers (but that's just a hunch).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Given the approach to CC free night vouchers, I suspect they'll just convert 7-night vouchers into Points Vouchers, i.e.

That's simple, fair, and allows people to put the points towards whatever they want after 1 August. It also saves Marriott having to awkwardly compare legacy Categories to current Categories.

Per my previous post, I suspect this will be a one-off opportunity for legacy Travel Package certificates that are outstanding at 1 August, and that new packages sold post 1 August will be based on the new tiers (but that's just a hunch).
This would seem like a massive windfall versus the new points regime. I am highly skeptical they will be so generous... if you were redeeming at max points that would result in e.g. 132,000 UA miles at a net cost of 120k MR points
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
This would seem like a massive windfall versus the new points regime. I am highly skeptical they will be so generous... if you were redeeming at max points that would result in e.g. 132,000 UA miles at a net cost of 120k MR points
That's a fair challenge. Still, it's the only solution I can think of that's (i) consistent with the limited information provided by Marriott (and the approach to Credit Card certificates), and (ii) semi-logical. I can imagine Marriott taking a hit on outstanding (time limited) certificates on a one-off basis to smooth the transition.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
It may not be as generous as you think. Voucher has some restrictions attached, like single stay, valid date. For example, 1-5 cert for 150k. If your time is restricted, you may be able to get cat-5 3 nights only (peak 40k*3) or just six nights cat-4 (peak 30k*5 + 5th night free). They will not refund the un-used portion.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by khlay
It may not be as generous as you think. Voucher has some restrictions attached, like single stay, valid date. For example, 1-5 cert for 150k. If your time is restricted, you may be able to get cat-5 3 nights only (peak 40k*3) or just six nights cat-4 (peak 30k*5 + 5th night free). They will not refund the un-used portion.
Indeed. And you can also take the view that the "generosity" here is simply the generosity of the Travel Package (as sold at current prices) in the first instance. Under the current rules, Marriott will effectively sell you 120,000 miles for 120,000 MP if, at the same time, you agree to redeem 150,000 MP for 7 nts at a Cat 5 Marriott hotel. I don't see how the value proposition changes if the 150,000 MP redemption is swapped out for a 150,000 MP voucher that can only be spent at Marriott properties.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:40 pm

Atlantas Bahamas: Does not accept travel packages??

I called Marriott to use the hotel certificate from my travel package for the Atlanta in the Bahamas.The representative called the Atlantas to try to arrange this and was told they do not accept travel packages.
I was not aware that Marriott Hotels could opt out from accepting Travel packages and I was counting on using the certificate for this hotel.
Has anyone else had this experience with the Atlantas (or at other Marriott properties?)
Anything that can be done?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Can anyone get through by calling?

wrong thread
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
My guess it that you are correct about the number of points, but that there will still be a 7-night stay requirement. After all, consider how tenaciously Marriott hung onto the 7-night requirement when folks were trying to get in on the 5-nights for timeshare owners deal. I don't think you'll be able to use your 7-night@25k certificate as 3 nights at a 50k per night property. I expect that if you want to use your converted Category 1-5 Travel Package certificate at a 50k per night property, you'll be asked to pay an additional 150k points to upgrade the certificate (and it will be for 7 nights at the 50k per night property, with the 5th night free). That's how it worked in the old system, and there's nothing in the new system that prevents this.

Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by barbh2
I called Marriott to use the hotel certificate from my travel package for the Atlanta in the Bahamas.The representative called the Atlantas to try to arrange this and was told they do not accept travel packages.
I was not aware that Marriott Hotels could opt out from accepting Travel packages and I was counting on using the certificate for this hotel.
Has anyone else had this experience with the Atlantas (or at other Marriott properties?)
Anything that can be done?
I would try calling again. I just booked a 5 night TP for The Cove in March. It took about 35 minutes with MR to get my certificate processed.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by yoonny
I am going to redeem Cat 9 travel package in the near future and I would think I should able to use on the new Cat 7 hotels from 8/1-12/31 chart. Perhaps if they are going to the points value based, it will be reduced to 5 nights. Still I think it will be great opportunity to stay at SPG's top properties for at least 5 nights. I wouldn't wait until 8/1 to redeem as I am sure Marriott will put some restrictions before then.
I wish this were the case, but I highly doubt that the Cat 9 cert that lets you book 45,000/night hotels will become valid for 60,000/night hotels under the new chart. Category 6 would already be 50,000/night hotels and that's probably where it will sit. There's obviously a lot of gray area here, but Tier 1-3 certs can be used for hotels up to 50,000 pts/night currently. It's hard to imagine those can be used for Cat 7 properties Aug-Dec but I think those would be the most likely to get bumped to be Cat 7 certs under the new chart and could represent an opportunity to level up there. If Cat 9 converted to Cat 7 then you'd presumably have Cat 9, plus all Ritz packages moving into Cat 7 packages and that doesn't make sense.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:42 pm

What would be the recommendation on buying TP if you have enough points? Buy or no buy before Aug1st.. If Buy, which cat one?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:57 pm

I'll buy it just for airline miles. I value point's at 0.8 and my specific airline at 1.5. In this case, i'll break even as long as 7 night cat-5 worth $360 after 8/1
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
If the same logic is applied to Travel Packages, this could present some quite interesting opportunities to redeem a 7-night certificate for a non-7 night stay. E.g. suppose you have a Cat 1-5 Voucher sitting in your account at 1 August. This would presumably be converted into a 150,000 Point certificate (6 nts x 25,000, taking into account the 5th night free). This could then be used (for example) for a 3 night stay at a new Category 6.

I suspect that this will only be possible for pre-August certificates that are not redeemed by 1 August. I fully expect Travel Packages sold after 1 August to be based on the new Category bands.
I don't think that's how it will be interpreted. They won't be giving points towards a stay, rather defining the eligible property by points cost instead of category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.