Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by bosman
Apologies if this has been previously addressed (I did check the previous 7 pages of posts), but how does the Travel Package work with "special" rooms; you know, the ones that require additional points or additional $s per night?

Also, I'm not seeing the special rooms offered as a Rewards option for many of the hotels I am considering for my next family vacation. The suites etc show up under the "Standard Rates" tab, but not on the "Awards" tab, so I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to get into the room I want with the Travel Package deal.

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks
You'll need to see the hotel available for a regular award stay if you want to select it as your travel package destination.

Most hotels I've looked at don't allow you to pay extra for upgraded rooms. Ironically enough, I'm at one now that does, it's an Autograph property in Europe. I booked it at the standard award rate and then talked to the GM about upgrades. This property does a one class upgrade for gold/plat, and he offered me a second upgrade for 50 Euros/night. After checking in definitely worth the money.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:47 am
Suspended

Hello FTers,

Has anyone had an experience of redeeming a Cat 7 reward while using a Cat 8 cert from the travel package? will the difference in points be refunded?

Thank you!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by kikid
Hello FTers,

Has anyone had an experience of redeeming a Cat 7 reward while using a Cat 8 cert from the travel package? will the difference in points be refunded?

Thank you!
I have gotten a refund before. Same circumstance. I had a cat 8 travel package and ultimately used at a cat 7 property. I asked if they can refund the difference and they did.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I have gotten a refund before. Same circumstance. I had a cat 8 travel package and ultimately used at a cat 7 property. I asked if they can refund the difference and they did.
Yes, but I would call MR to have the reissue the cert as cat 7 and refund the difference. I would not count on it happening automatically.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Yes, but I would call MR to have the reissue the cert as cat 7 and refund the difference. I would not count on it happening automatically.
Definitely true. If the cert will work for a specific reservation (i.e. a cat 8 cert will work for a Cat. 7 hotel), then the system will just use the cert with no refund. If you actually want the refund you will need to call in and get a CSR involved to help out.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Thank you for all your valuable inputs, Mr Vker, lexdevil and hhoope01!

in addition, do you have Any experience of deferring the expiration of the cert?

Thank you!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Exactly. I had to ask for it. You described exactly how they did it.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by kikid
Thank you for all your valuable inputs, Mr Vker, lexdevil and hhoope01!

in addition, do you have Any experience of deferring the expiration of the cert?

Thank you!
Yes on this too. They will extend it one year from the date you request. NOT tack on a year from existing expiration.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:50 am

Tried to find this specific question in search but not successful. Sorry if this has been covered.
I want to buy a room+air package. I know I can ask to have more than 50K transferred from my husband's account when getting this award. I want to also purchase additional points to meet the requirement. I read that I am limited to 50K per year in transferred or purchase points. Will this apply at the time I am purchasing this award or am I allowed to go over when purchasing specific award.

thank you
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by ktmangione
Tried to find this specific question in search but not successful. Sorry if this has been covered.
I want to buy a room+air package. I know I can ask to have more than 50K transferred from my husband's account when getting this award. I want to also purchase additional points to meet the requirement. I read that I am limited to 50K per year in transferred or purchase points. Will this apply at the time I am purchasing this award or am I allowed to go over when purchasing specific award.

thank you
From what I was told, you can "combine" your husbands points with yours when you are redeeming for an award. This is in addition to the 50,000 a year transfer allowance.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:17 pm

I got the Air+Hotel Package 7 Nights in category 5 + 132,000 united points, for the price of 270,00 Marriot points

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the 7 Night certificate back into points?

Also is there an option to use the certificate but stay at a higher category hotel with paying the $ difference?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by James Ben
I got the Air+Hotel Package 7 Nights in category 5 + 132,000 united points, for the price of 270,00 Marriot points

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the 7 Night certificate back into points?

Also is there an option to use the certificate but stay at a higher category hotel with paying the $ difference?
You can cash it back in, but you are only going to receive 40K or so in points. You can shift it to a higher category level for 30k points per level, but not by cash alone.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by joeags
You can cash it back in, but you are only going to receive 40K or so in points. You can shift it to a higher category level for 30k points per level, but not by cash alone.
Is this stated anywhere? I just spoke to agent who insisted cannot change back to points (although for 40K I wouldn't do anyway) and cannot upgrade category
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by James Ben
Is this stated anywhere? I just spoke to agent who insisted cannot change back to points (although for 40K I wouldn't do anyway) and cannot upgrade category
Nothing official, but I know I've read multiple people say in this forum that they've done it before, and it is for a pittance of points. Definitely better to use if you can. So I guess you can call my information hearsay, and it may take multiple agents until they allow it.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
The way I see it is that a Cat5 would typically cost 30,000pt/night, and at current redemption, a 7 night stay would cost 180,000 MR points (accounting for 1 free night). The travel package basically gives you 132,000 UA award miles for an additional cost of 90,000 MR points. Absolute steal.

As for cashing the certificate back in for a refund in points after the UA miles post, my question is... why? I always use the package for a nice getaway, usually utilizing the award miles to travel to the destination, and the certificate for a week-long stay. This package is perfect... almost too good to be true for the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.