Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I called to upgrade my 7 night Travel Package Category 1-5 hotel certificate to a category 7 hotel certificate and now it shows up in my account as:

P910 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 7
Points Value: 105,000

Is that normal that it shows like that ? I'm a bit worried because it no longer says that the certificate is for 7 nights and the points value is no longer 270,000 points.

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I called to upgrade my 7 night Travel Package Category 1-5 hotel certificate to a category 7 hotel certificate and now it shows up in my account as:

P910 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 7

Is that normal that it shows like that ? I'm a bit worried because it no longer says that the certificate is for 7 nights and the points value is no longer 270,000 points.

Thanks
I'm pretty sure you can upgrade when you book as long as you have enough points so you probably could have just waited.

We redeemed for a cat 7 TP and plan on upgrading to a cat 9.

Since the difference between the Cat 5 you booked and a Cat 7 is 60K points I have no idea why it shows 105K.

I would call back and make sure it's all set. GL
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'm pretty sure you can upgrade when you book as long as you have enough points so you probably could have just waited.

We redeemed for a cat 7 TP and plan on upgrading to a cat 9.

Since the difference between the Cat 5 you booked and a Cat 7 is 60K points I have no idea why it shows 105K.

I would call back and make sure it's all set. GL
I think I know why it shows 105K. It's because, if I decide to refund the certificate to points, I would get 105K points: That is 45K points from the refund value of the cat 1-5 7 night certificate, plus the 60K points that I added.

Can anyone confirm ?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

P910 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 7

Thanks
This is exactly right. Have seen these "partial packages" many times. They have always worked.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:01 pm

I think I know why it shows 105K. It's because, if I decide to refund the certificate to points, I would get 105K points: That is 45K points from the refund value of the cat 1-5 7 night certificate, plus the 60K points that I added.

Can anyone confirm ?
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
This is exactly right. Have seen these "partial packages" many times. They have always worked.
So would the refund for a TP originally booked as a Cat 7 also be 105K or is it just 45 k ? Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by flyer4512
So would the refund for a TP originally booked as a Cat 7 also be 105K or is it just 45 k ? Thanks
That I don't know. I haven't asked or seen those refunds before.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by adelee
Was informed by the rep that I can't upgrade an existing package, I can only purchase a new cat 8 package outright! I commented that I have always been able to upgrade a lower category cert in the past, and was advised that this is a recent policy change. Anyone else come across this? Very alarming if this is the case.
I had a conversation with a Marriott Rewards supervisor last month where they explained that the packages can be upgraded with one exception. I was told, if you buy a Marriott (Category) package you cannot upgrade to a Ritz package (and vice versa).

For example, I bought a cat 1-5 Marriott package (to take advantage of the Aeroplan bonus) and I wanted to eventually upgrade it to a Ritz Tier 7 package when a bunch of points I am expecting come in. I was told that was not possible. I could upgrade to any Marriott Cat package but could not upgrade it to a Ritz Tier package.

Anyone have a similar experience or counter experience to that?

If its true - I guess I will just extend the cert in the hopes that when they merge the programs the ability to upgrade to Ritz (or SPG) will be available.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I used 2 travel certs to book 2 rooms at the JW in Beijing. Will I get lounge access for both rooms? If one of the guests in the second room is Gold, would that change anything?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I used 2 travel certs to book 2 rooms at the JW in Beijing. Will I get lounge access for both rooms? If one of the guests in the second room is Gold, would that change anything?
I have always gotten lounge access for two rooms-even though not required. In your case you can guarantee it. The Gold reward member in the other room can have their name added and should be able to get lounge benefits as well. Award stays are transferrable. You should have no problem.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:50 pm

Can I use my voucher to book for my Parents or do I need to be staying at the property?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:35 pm

Marriott Travel Packages - A quick question

Hi All

I haven't used a Marriott travel certificate before and have a quick question.
The hotel that I'm looking to reserve, Category 9, requires 270,000 points for a seven night stay. However, when I looked at the travel packages table it states that I would need to redeem 390,000 points in order to gain a seven night stay plus 120,000 BA miles. I don't understand what the point is of redeeming 390,000 points for the package instead of 270,000 just for the hotel stay. My points would be converted from SPG points obtained from Amex membership rewards. I could convert the additional 120,000 required points directly to BA, so why go through Marriott.

Regards
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by JasGIll
Hi All

The hotel that I'm looking to reserve, Category 9, requires 270,000 points for a seven night stay. However, when I looked at the travel packages table it states that I would need to redeem 390,000 points in order to gain a seven night stay plus 120,000 BA miles. I don't understand what the point is of redeeming 390,000 points for the package instead of 270,000 just for the hotel stay. My points would be converted from SPG points obtained from Amex membership rewards. I could convert the additional 120,000 required points directly to BA, so why go through Marriott.

Regards
i think you need to break that down into 270,000 marriott pts for 7 night HOTEL

OR

390,000 marriott pts for 7 night HOTEL and 120k BA pts,

Effectively you would be getting 120,000 BA pts for 120,000 Marriott pts.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Hi All

Regards
You cannot get 120,000 BA miles for 120,000 MR points normally - the Travel Packages offer a much better redemption rate (1:1) for air miles in combination with the 7-night hotel certificate.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
You cannot get 120,000 BA miles for 120,000 MR points normally - the Travel Packages offer a much better redemption rate (1:1) for air miles in combination with the 7-night hotel certificate.
I'm based in the UK where 1 MR point converts to 1 BA Avios.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:40 pm

I'm based in the UK where 1 MR point converts to 1 BA Avios.
In Canada, we can also convert 1 MR to 1 Aeroplan or Avios. So for me it doesn't make sense to redeem a travel package and get Aeroplan points. Instead, I would ask for Alaska Mileage Plan since I value it more than the other programs, and it's something I can actually use. In your case, you might find it more appealing to choose another FF program other than Avios for the Travel Package.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.