Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
FYI - AMEX just announced another 30% VS transfer bonus. Tips the scale for me to spend my one TP on VS miles over UA since I can supplement with my AMEX and have enough for 2x J to Tokyo
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
FYI - AMEX just announced another 30% VS transfer bonus. Tips the scale for me to spend my one TP on VS miles over UA since I can supplement with my AMEX and have enough for 2x J to Tokyo
Of course, 3 days after I transferred 135k miles to VS...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:56 pm

Has anyone got UA miles posted recently? How many days did it take?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jrey
​​​​​​​Took 3 calendar days for me - ordered on Thursday, posted on Saturday.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:12 pm

Should be an email from Marriott Thurs (or Fri at the latest) about the TPs and the IT blackout coming encouraging you to book your packages now.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by bdw1120
Took 3 calendar days for me - ordered on Thursday, posted on Saturday.
​​​​​​​Was this last week or earlier?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
Should be an email from Marriott Thurs (or Fri at the latest) about the TPs and the IT blackout coming encouraging you to book your packages now.
How do you know?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: OZ & BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott & Accor Plat
Highly recommend calling the KL line +60 3 2688 8080; just got off the phone - 1 min wait time and they processed the TP within a few minutes! Cat 8 + 120k Alaska Miles coming my way ;-)
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:24 pm

Do we have any updates on what will happen to the current 7-night certs? Converted to new 7-night certs under the new category system or getting a refund in equivalent points?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:12 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I just booked another 7 night United package and drained most of my MR/SPG points. Already get plans for the 7-nights.....
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I booked a 7 night package on the 25th (10pm email confirmation). My 120,000 Alaska miles is showing up in my account!

​​​​​ I could clear out my account with purchasing 2 more packages. I am not going to do that. I am keeping the rest of my points.

I do not have any firm plans on how to spend any additional miles. Keeping the points in the Marriott/Starwood program gives me flexibility. Despite this I would purchase additional travel packages, if I had a way to earn points in the future. Unfortunately, the reduced earning ability of my SPG card means that I will not be earning many points in the future (I will only use the SPG card at hotels).

Last edited by Explore SE Asia; Aug 2, 2018 at 1:00 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by osotoc
7/23 Travel Package booked, and the roller coaster of emotions while checking my AS account for the 120K miles continues. LOL!
FYI My first Travel Package took 6 days to post in early July.

Working on my patience...at least trying.
AS miles posted this morning (8/2) around 9am (Germany time)!
May get another one and determine whether to stick with AS or move to UA or even VS.

Decisions...decisions

Last edited by osotoc; Aug 2, 2018 at 4:19 am Reason: edit date
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by jrey
Ordered the TP on Monday the 30th. By night they hadn't posted but the next day they were there, marked as having been deposited on the 30th (they actually arrived on the 31st, I think).
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by FlightBOS
Best of luck! Once mine post, I'll try to jump back on here and let you all know how long it took.
My VS miles have posted - within 24 hours of making the redemption with Marriott. I'm just pleased they haven't become lost while the Marriott/SPG merger takes place!
osotoc likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
UA transfer took 24hrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.