Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:31 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
There is NEW DP, see the clarification by the poster - the cert is ATTACHED to the reservation. There is NO ADVANCE of Points.
You can say it is new. But I've seen this a couple of times before.... See my screenshot.

Just add to your edit. I was able to attach my TP to a property which costs more than my TP. But the agent was able to attach the TP and told me that I would need to have the points ready before the cancellation deadline.

Say, the TP is worth 50,000 MR/night and I attached it to a property costing 60,000 MR/night.

Last edited by RedSun; Aug 15, 2018 at 6:53 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr

Starwood Lurkers have been very upfront. From the beginning they had advised attaching a certificate to a hotel before August 18 for maximum value. People didn’t want to follow that advise (of course if the dates are not open yet, if you want a former SPG property etc would be exceptions) and even though they know the hotel/dates they are not attaching. Agree, its been a mess but I think Starwood Lurkers have been great, given the circumstances.

In any event some TP holders will be upset, some will not.
The problems are, due to the ultra opaqueness on how the existing certs will convert post merger, as well as how or if, there is any refund on the properties that go down in points per night. not to mention we cannot book SPG properties until Sept 18 - many of us can NOT attach the certs or even know which category of cert to redeem!
For example, what would happen if the current Cat 6 properties will be the new Cat 4, how would I get the 30K extra payment back? No answer. There is no correspondent 30K/night either, now the pts jump from 25K to 35K to 50K versus the sequential 30K incremental increase.

I have to say that by not letting members to up or down grade their certs once the information is finally available for members to make more intelligent decision versus now we are deliberately being kept in the dark, Marriott is hoping to get the biggest breakage from the hotel stay portion of the Travel Package. The real value in the Travel Package, at least in my situation, is the very cheap 7 nights stay. Marriott is playing the dirty game to generate as much breakage as possible.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
You can say it is new. But I've seen this a couple of times before.... See my screenshot.
Your cert is the CORRECT cert that is attached. You are using the cert that is intended for the RC tiers.

The poster's cert is NOT the correct cert to use for the property. His is a current Marriott Cat 8. The property is a RC tiers.

That is the fundamental difference that you have missed.

Since the system allows it to attach - it implies how the Cat 8 will be converted. That is why it is a new DP or a leaked DP.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:44 pm

Your cert is acting as normally. It covers the booking because it is meant to cover the booking and is attached.

The poster has a cert that does NOT cover the booking and yet it too is attached.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
The poster's cert is NOT the correct cert to use for the property. His is a current Marriott Cat 8. The property is a RC tiers.

Since the system allows it to attach - it implies how the Cat 8 will be converted. That is why it is a new DP or a leaked DP.
I do not think there is any leaked info. It is just the CSR who is very liberal. Or she does not know what she is doing.

For my reservation, I had to talk to 3 agents. Only one of them was able to attach the TP. The stay costs more than my TP level.

Here is the extended reservation with pending points required. Look the same to me.

Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:05 pm

I do not think there is any leaked info. It is just the CSR who is very liberal. Or she does not know what she is doing.

For my reservation, I had to talk to 3 agents. Only one of them was able to attach the TP. The stay costs more than my TP level.

Here is the extended reservation with pending points required. Look the same to me.

You were describing a Ritz free night, not a TP.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
You were describing a Ritz free night, not a TP.
This is the 7-night TP attached to a reservation early 2019. When I get enough points, I can just click the button to order certificates to complete the reservation. Or I can cancel it and re-attach or whatever it happens.

Last edited by RedSun; Aug 15, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:23 pm

This is the 7-night TP attached to a reservation early 2019. When I get enough points, I can just click the button to order certificates to complete the reservation. Or I can cancel it and re-attach or whatever it happens.
No, that's not what it means.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:36 pm

As long as a certificate is attached to a reservation, doesn't that mean the reservation is confirmed with no additional points required, even if the category of the certificate is lower than the category of the property?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by agjil
As long as a certificate is attached to a reservation, doesn't that mean the reservation is confirmed with no additional points required, even if the category of the certificate is lower than the category of the property?
No. With some cases, the agents allow you to attach TP to higher level booking. Then you need to forward the points or additional certificate before the cancellation deadline.

This is the discussions just above. I do not think this is standard, but case by case.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:14 pm

I just spoke to AU call centre to try to attach a cert. They said their systems will be back online in 5hrs time (6pm AEST).

Take this with a grain of salt:
- I asked if there was any new info about how my floating Cat 6 Travel Package cert would map over, the CSR said latest info is it will be refunded as points, but couldn't say how many. They didn't hesitate in saying it and sounded confident in their answer....but who knows.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by icebox425
I just spoke to AU call centre to try to attach a cert. They said their systems will be back online in 5hrs time (6pm AEST).

Take this with a grain of salt:
- I asked if there was any new info about how my floating Cat 6 Travel Package cert would map over, the CSR said latest info is it will be refunded as points, but couldn't say how many. They didn't hesitate in saying it and sounded confident in their answer....but who knows.
I feel like the TP thing is like the "Games of the Throne". Two books still not published. The good thing is that we do not have to wait for 10 years....
davidsc111 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:29 pm

No. With some cases, the agents allow you to attach TP to higher level booking. Then you need to forward the points or additional certificate before the cancellation deadline.

This is the discussions just above. I do not think this is standard, but case by case.
Well, if I can do this, that would be awesome. The properties I really want are currently cat 9 and most go to new cat 7. I only had enough points for a cat 8 right now so I bought that and attached it to a cat 8 property (will be cat 6 on 8/18). I don't have the points to upgrade to a cat 9 right now but I will by the time I go on a trip next year.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:31 pm

I've got a 1-5 I want to use on a 6 so I am probably going to try this tomorrow.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:05 pm
Suspended

My take for the entire TP thing is that, the best value for the TPs are the Cat-8 and Cat-9. They are the best resorts where we should spend the consecutive 7 nights. It is harder to find the mid-tier properties to spend the 7 nights at the same place. There are some nice properties in foreign countries, but I do not see myself spending 7 nights in the same city.

So my wish is to get the face value of the TP back. Say, get 30,000/night for Cat-6. Then I can use the points to upgrade my Chase free nights etc. I know I could be dreaming....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.