Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Rusdude
Leaked T&Cs of the new program indicated Starwood hotels couldn’t be reserved without having points. Of course, it’s possible those weren’t true final rules but I wouldn’t count on being able to reserve Starwood properties without having full points.
That's not what I read.

Please take a look at "3.6 Points Advance" in the leaked T&Cs. For a points advance, there is no difference between Rewards legacy and SPG legacy.

If I missed something, please clarify.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:42 pm

Attach Cat 8 certificate to Tier 4?

I called Marriott to ask about attaching my category 8 travel package to stay at the Ritz Carlton Hotel de la Paix, Geneva, which is a Tier 4 hotel. I've never used a travel package so was calling to see how it worked and if I could pay the difference in points. The rep said she would just attach the package now, then depending on how the Travel Packages map out after Aug 18, I would be notified with the number of points I owe. I'm feeling like a made a mistake and that the Rep isn't correct. Should I just cancel the reservation and keep the Cat 8 Travel Package as a floater? Sorry, I'm new to this and very confused.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:43 pm

I'm so bummed...I have a Cat 1-5 cert and it now locks me out of booking my St Regis Maldives reservation when the programs merge. I have the cert + 175k pts, need 270k to upgrade to Tier 4-5 to be safe and can't figure out what to do. I just wish I knew what cat I need
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by load9295
I called Marriott to ask about attaching my category 8 travel package to stay at the Ritz Carlton Hotel de la Paix, Geneva, which is a Tier 4 hotel. I've never used a travel package so was calling to see how it worked and if I could pay the difference in points. The rep said she would just attach the package now, then depending on how the Travel Packages map out after Aug 18, I would be notified with the number of points I owe. I'm feeling like a made a mistake and that the Rep isn't correct. Should I just cancel the reservation and keep the Cat 8 Travel Package as a floater? Sorry, I'm new to this and very confused.
Did the rep actually attach the package to the hotel? Because that's a new datapoint.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr

Starwood Lurkers have been very upfront. From the beginning they had advised attaching a certificate to a hotel before August 18 for maximum value. People didn’t want to follow that advise (of course if the dates are not open yet, if you want a former SPG property etc would be exceptions) and even though they know the hotel/dates they are not attaching. Agree, its been a mess but I think Starwood Lurkers have been great, given the circumstances.

In any event some TP holders will be upset, some will not.
I never said they weren't. In fact, I admire their patience and am grateful for the information they've provided.
As you mentioned there are multiple reasons why some of us can't attach certificates before the end of the week and the lack of information Marriott (not the lurkers) have provided makes it impossible for these people to know which legacy category they need now to end up in the category they want post-transition. As we know by now we're not going to get that information before it's too late, up-/downgrading legacy certifcates later would be the only possible remedy. If they take that away there will be a group of members who can't use their certificates for their intended purpose. The lurkers can't help that, but Marriott can.

Originally Posted by Horace
That's not what I read.

Please take a look at "3.6 Points Advance" in the leaked T&Cs. For a points advance, there is no difference between Rewards legacy and SPG legacy.

If I missed something, please clarify.
You're very close:
3.6.b. Points Advance is not currently offered at the Participating Properties or Brands listed here.

· St. Regis®

· The Luxury Collection®

· W®

· Sheraton®

· Le Méridien®

· Westin®

· Design HotelsTM

· Tribute Portfolio®

· Four Points®

· Aloft® Hotels

· Element®

· Non-branded properties listed in Section 1.2.a.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:55 pm

When I pull up the reservation, there's a note that says, "This reservation has e-certificate(s). Your reward certificates will be sent to your hotel."

Sorry, was trying to reply to OssianBlue.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
You're very close:
3.6.b. Points Advance is not currently offered at the Participating Properties or Brands listed here.

· St. Regis®

· The Luxury Collection®

· W®

· Sheraton®

· Le Méridien®

· Westin®

· Design HotelsTM

· Tribute Portfolio®

· Four Points®

· Aloft® Hotels

· Element®

· Non-branded properties listed in Section 1.2.a.
Yep! I missed that. Thanks for catching my error.

At first, that seems very strange. But there's probably a simple explanation. Even if there's a combined web interface, the web server farm could could still be accessing two separate master reservation systems, each with different rules and limitations, running in two separate data centers.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:14 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Since you are booking a legacy Marriott property, this can be done. You can even book a 7-day RC vacation without any MR points or certificate.

Normally the booking is final one month before stay date. So if you do not cancel the booking, you'll be charged with at least the cost of first day of stay on the credit card you used in booking. If you decide to keep the reservation, then you'll need to deliver the required reward points at the time of the finalization of the booking.

There is no new data point.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nick793
I'm so bummed...I have a Cat 1-5 cert and it now locks me out of booking my St Regis Maldives reservation when the programs merge. I have the cert + 175k pts, need 270k to upgrade to Tier 4-5 to be safe and can't figure out what to do. I just wish I knew what cat I need
Hi bud, I'm bummed too. But, but, it is a 100% no go to use a Cat1-5 TP to book the highly expensive St Regis Maldives. For 175k MR points, you may be lucky to book one or two days of stay at that property. It can be blacked out all together. Still wish you the good luck.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Since you are booking a legacy Marriott property, this can be done. You can even book a 7-day RC vacation without any MR points or certificate.

Normally the booking is final one month before stay date. So if you do not cancel the booking, you'll be charged with at least the cost of first day of stay on the credit card you used in booking. If you decide to keep the reservation, then you'll need to deliver the required reward points at the time of the finalization of the booking.

So if my reservation starts on Sep 29 then the booking is final on Aug 29 which is in Marriott's 30 day window of no changes to travel packages. Do I need to have the points to upgrade to a Tier 4 package or just the number of points to get to the cost of the hotel (360,000 points/7 nights)? If I cancel the reservation now, do I get the Cat 8 Travel Package certificate back? Any help is truly appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Since your trip is next month and you would not be able to make any changes to your TP after 8/18, your options are 1) upgrade your TP now to attach to the reservation or 2) have 360k points to use for this reservation and use the TP for another reservation.

You don’t need to cancel the reservation to get your TP back. You can call and ask them to detach it. Then you’ll have a floater TP Cert for use later
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:44 pm
Suspended

So if my reservation starts on Sep 29 then the booking is final on Aug 29 which is in Marriott's 30 day window of no changes to travel packages. Do I need to have the points to upgrade to a Tier 4 package or just the number of points to get to the cost of the hotel (360,000 points/7 nights)? If I cancel the reservation now, do I get the Cat 8 Travel Package certificate back? Any help is truly appreciated.
For Tier 4 RC, I would not use the TP. You should attach the Cat-8 TP to another property. The RC has the same cost, 60,000 MR/day, even after the merge. No hurry to do anything.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:19 pm

Their reservation says this:
"This reservation has e-certificate(s). Your reward certificates will be sent to your hotel."

That's unusual and is indeed a new datapoint.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Their reservation says this:
"This reservation has e-certificate(s). Your reward certificates will be sent to your hotel."

That's unusual and is indeed a new datapoint.
This is very standard. When I used my Ritz free night, I saw the same. The free night certificate was attached to the reservation and it will be delivered when I check in. Nothing really new. See below.

If you attach a TP with your reservation, you should see the same.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I pull up the reservation, there's a note that says, "This reservation has e-certificate(s). Your reward certificates will be sent to your hotel."

Sorry, was trying to reply to OssianBlue.

You miss the real important part - the cert he has, we have no way to know what it would be equal to. Yet it can be attached.

There is NEW DP, see the clarification by the poster - the cert is ATTACHED to the reservation. There is NO ADVANCE of Points. That means the cert he has now, is able to attach to the booking which, as we know it, does NOT equal to the cert he has.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.