Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Ather all the travel package redemptions, upgrades and downgrades, I ended up with 3 Category 7 certificates but one of them looks different. Anyone know why ?

One of the cat 7 certs is different..
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

It will be interesting to see what kind of lawsuits may arise against Marriott for this situation, if customers are done wrong by this situation. Customers who may get wronged by this kind of situation may end up being part of a class action lawsuit or two.
I'm scratching me head to understand why anyone think they have a leg to stand on for a lawsuit?

In order to even have a case one has to show damages and I'm hard press to imagine any (real) damages here.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I'm scratching me head to understand why anyone think they have a leg to stand on for a lawsuit?

In order to even have a case one has to show damages and I'm hard press to imagine any (real) damages here.

Nope, just have to show breach of T&C's.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lizie
Have you found T&Cs on how these category certs are treated? I tried, and found none. The only thing I found is this:

>>
Marriott Rewards membership and its benefits are offered at the discretion of Marriott. Marriott and its travel partners have the right, without limitation, to change, limit, modify or cancel Program Rules, regulations, rewards, and reward levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of points or miles already accumulated, the ability to use accumulated points or miles, or the ability to obtain certain rewards. Marriott and its travel partners may, among other things:
  • increase or decrease the number of points or miles received for a stay or required for a reward;
  • withdraw, limit, modify, or cancel any reward or category;
  • add blackout dates, limit rooms available for reward redemption at any participating hotel, change or restrict participating hotels, or otherwise restrict the continued availability of rewards;
  • change program benefits, travel partners, locations served by Marriott or its travel partners, conditions of participation, rules for earning, redeeming, retaining, or forfeiting points or miles, or rules governing the use of rewards;
  • change or cancel its travel partner rewards. The accumulation of points or miles does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to points, miles, rewards, or program benefits. In accumulating points or miles, members may not rely upon the continued availability of any reward or reward level.
<<
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:35 pm

Those T&Cs are interesting. They clearly and reasonably give Marriott the authority to changes the parameters of the program in any way they like. I don't think it is nearly so clear that they give Marriott the authority to change a certificate for future use in that same way. For instance bullet point two specifically refers to "reward or category". That sounds more like a program structure change than the ability to retroactively "withdraw, limit, modify or cancel" an actually existing instrument.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer

It’s still to be seen what damages, if any, there may be. Also, the US is not the only jurisdiction where Marriott may be pursued by litigants over a program redemption item already issued or otherwise marketed to customers of the program.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lizie
Which state they can change anything at it their will.

Plus nothing we heard so far (note that there is no official statement) indicates that they do.

If anyone bought a certificate in expectation that they can use it at a future date for something they could not have been doing when they bought the certificate, then that is speculation. When one bought a certificate one could attach it as it bought. If one could not attach it at the time of buying to the hotel one wanted to go then what exactly one thought one bought? It is a product that only exists in one expectation and not in reality.

Marriott silence in this regard is working for their interest.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

It’s still to be seen what damages, if any, there may be. Also, the US is not the only jurisdiction where Marriott may be pursued by litigants over a program redemption item already issued or otherwise marketed to customers of the program.
I wonder what is the legal basis that you think anyone could argue (regardless of jurisdiction) - considering that everyone can be made whole by points refund.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Has anyone redeemed a TP for Korean Air miles any time recently? If so, how long did the miles take to post? (tomorrow will be 4 weeks from the officially quoted 2-4 weeks that it would take!)
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by khlay
Happend to me too. The agent booked the 50k miles one and tried to corrected it to 120k. End up with -230,000 +105,000 -300,000. (cat 6)
It's resolved after many calls. The supervisor said the agent didn't cancel the first one properly and gave my 125k back in a strange way:
06/06/2018 Bonus Reward Adjustment +75,000 Points
06/06/2018 Bonus Bonus For Mileage Exception +50,000 Points
Mine was resolved today, thankfully, but also in an odd manner like yours. I think it was:
Bonus for mileage exception +120K
Reward adjustment +105K

I thought it was nice that the agent who handled it this morning deposited 10K in my account this morning for the trouble.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended

After the transition, and if they don't map Cat X to New Cat X, I will definitely try to HUCA and argue my way as in :
I purchased a Category 7 certificate, I should be able to use it on a Category 7 hotel !
tonywush and Lizie like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Those T&Cs are interesting. They clearly and reasonably give Marriott the authority to changes the parameters of the program in any way they like. I don't think it is nearly so clear that they give Marriott the authority to change a certificate for future use in that same way. For instance bullet point two specifically refers to "reward or category". That sounds more like a program structure change than the ability to retroactively "withdraw, limit, modify or cancel" an actually existing instrument.
Tomorrow the existing MR Program is defunct. As such, all unattached certificates have no usefullness! I don't see any court judging in favour of a plaintiff who through his/her own negligence failed to attach their certificate to maximize value in hopes of a windfall in the new program. Marriot has said that you will be able to attach your certificate to a stay of similar point value. You know how many points each property will require, that has been disseminated earlier. If you have a property in mind then make sure the point value of your certificate is sufficient to apply it to that property after the dormancy.

Forget the old categories and the new categories, they are blueberries and strawberries. Don't think where certificates will map to, it is irrelevant. The commonality is the point value and starting tomorrow the new chart prevails. If you want to redeem for a 60K per night property, make sure your unattached certificate is valued at 360K.

Good luck to you all.

James
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
After the transition, and if they don't map Cat X to New Cat X, I will definitely try to HUCA and argue my way as in :
Wow, I am sqeezing the apples I purchased yesterday and I am not getting my breakfast orange juice today! How so? Forget the categories, it is the point value that will determine what you can attach it to.

James
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Wow, I am sqeezing the apples I purchased yesterday and I am not getting my breakfast orange juice today! How so? Forget the categories, it is the point value that will determine what you can attach it to.

James
I don't think the average person is gonna understand or care about the nuances, or that the phone agents will be able to explain and justify them to the average Joe in a simple to understand language
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:39 pm

Somehow I see the results of all of this litigation being that I get a coupon for $5 off a $250 non-gift card purchase at any Marriott gift shop (resorts excluded, of course).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.