Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:27 pm

Anyone know why I just called and was told I can’t redeem my certificate?

Anyone else feel like this is Y2K all over? Oh and by the way totally messing with everyone about not being able to redeem my certificate. I’m at a Sheraton right now and so far it hasn’t collapsed
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:49 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

That is not totally fair either because many properties, are going way up in points pricing (such as Domes Of Elounda going up from 45K to 85K and Marriott Hawaii Resorts going up from 40K to 50K) merely due to the category remapping or reshuffle and not due to increased demand, cash rates or renovations/upgrades in the property as it is usually case for category increases.

But at least the the increase in pricing was given with 1.5 month advance notice.
I would argue that this is no different than the usual annual readjustments we see. We all knew way in advance that certain properties would increase, and can decide accordingly
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
The internal accounting of Marriott is of no importance to the customer and completely irrelevant to this discussion. The individual holds an instrument that promises 7 nights of accommodation at some specified level.
No, Marriott can do what it wants. IMO that's clearly spelled out in the Ts & Cs. If we don't think that they've met their obligations, we're left with the right to hire lawyers.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:45 pm

This is a much bigger devaluation when compared to Hilton. Book before the devaluation as I did. Time is short!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:02 am
kkl

Rang up the asia hotline, TPs cant be upgraded anymore. Was told to try the American line
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:51 am
kkl

Called the USA number, managed to upgrade 2 certs.

They mistakenly extended an already extended cat1/5 cert. Extra 2 months
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zakami
Said where and by whom?
It was advised by the SPG Lurker that unattached cetificates could be attached from Seprember 18th to a property of similar point value and that the new chart rates will apply. Your Category 9 has a value of 45K per night while New Category 7 requires 60K per night. You will be 90K short of a New Category 7 redemption. Oh, and Lurker also said there would be NO upgrades or downgrades allowed.

Your Category 9 does not convert perfectly on points like the Cat 1-5 and Cat 7 do. In these instances, an adjustment may be allowed. I see a possibility that either you book a New Cat 5 and have 60K refunded or book a New Cat 6 with an addition 30K points.

Regardless, Your Cat 9 certificate WILL NOT allow you to book a New Cat 7 property. Any thought by anyone at anytime that it would be, was just wishful thinking and yet they continued to believe so for a myriad of riduculous reasons even though he numbers never supported it.

James
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It was advised by the SPG Lurker that unattached cetificates could be attached from Seprember 18th to a property of similar point value and that the new chart rates will apply. Your Category 9 has a value of 45K per night while New Category 7 requires 60K per night. You will be 90K short of a New Category 7 redemption.
This is nothing but speculation on your part. There's been absolutely no indication that the old certificates will not be turned into new certificates of some category or another.
jrey likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:26 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
This is a much bigger devaluation when compared to Hilton. Book before the devaluation as I did. Time is short!
This is not. Provide some evidence??
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:00 am
Suspended

I'm curious to see how they handle Tier 1-3 certs. I took the gamble and am hoping it becomes a Cat 7 cert. But I'm prepared to lose if it doesn't work out.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
Looking at this from a 5 or 10 or 15 year perspective, Hilton has devalued Hilton points way more than Starwood points have been devalued by Starwood and now Marriott. But that is a look into yesterday and before.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No, Marriott can do what it wants. IMO that's clearly spelled out in the Ts & Cs. If we don't think that they've met their obligations, we're left with the right to hire lawyers.
Marriott can do what it wants, like with its use of freedom of expression; but like with freedom of expression, it doesn’t necessarily mean freedom from any or all lawful consequences. And in a global marketplace where Marriott plays, Marriott may be exposed to adverse outcomes from litigation, class action or otherwise, and administrative/regulatory penalties due to its actions.
imverge and MasterGeek like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Perhaps I am missing the importance of attaching a certificate to a reservation prior to 8/18 in the only message sent directly to customers by Marriott and Starwood.

"If you currently have a Travel Package Certificate that’s not yet attached to a hotel reservation, you have the following options:

- If you know when you want to travel, make a new reservation or attach your certificate to an existing one prior to August 18, 2018.

- If you are still trying to plan that perfect trip, you can hold onto the certificate and will be able to add it to a reservation starting September 18, 2018."

For years, it has been possible to extend certificates and change categories and I think having a single representative post in a travel forum about the end of that policy three days before the change takes effect is the wrong approach. Although I find useful information on FT and some blogs, what I read isn't always an accurate reflection of official policy. The information aLurker posted earlier about floating certificates being converted to equivalent points is not the same as what was sent to us last week.

I am not questioning the credibility of the Lurker's or the ability of MPG to change policies, but I find it disconcerting that so much of what we are discussing about travel package changes has never been sent directly to customers. When a company makes a major change to some aspect of a program, I believe that it should be communicated well in advance of the impending change by Email and/or its website and not indirectly through social media.
imverge and jrey like this.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 18, 2018 at 11:24 am
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:17 am
Suspended

The new category and the SPG properties are coming up:

Availability is not up to date.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended

Only fun to watch. I get no interest in those properties....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.