Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
:facepalm:

It's absolutely astounding that individuals, who would otherwise be patently aware that an agent's knowledge is in most cases less than a FTers', are accepting and posting what random agents are saying about the coming transition. In some cases even trusting random agents to a Lurker who is presenting information that has been precleared by the MR team in charge. Do I believe that all pronouncements are the final word or that the purported T&Cs are final... hopefully not. But to go around and claiming they are wrong because of gut feelings and beliefs etc is madness.

There is so little rationale for all the kvetching and griping and demanding in here it's absurd. It reminds me of children in an elementary playground making up rules for a game.

Good luck to all, see you on the other side.
if you read carefully, I never said who was wrong. I just meant anything is still possible. Time will tell if the lurker's info is super-accurate.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dsquared37
It's absolutely astounding that individuals, who would otherwise be patently aware that an agent's knowledge is in most cases less than a FTers', are accepting and posting what random agents are saying about the coming transition. In some cases even trusting random agents to a Lurker who is presenting information that has been precleared by the MR team in charge. Do I believe that all pronouncements are the final word or that the purported T&Cs are final... hopefully not. But to go around and claiming they are wrong because of gut feelings and beliefs etc is madness.

There is so little rationale for all the kvetching and griping and demanding in here it's absurd. It reminds me of children in an elementary playground making up rules for a game.
Spot on.

I really don't see the point of all this self-created hysteria.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by kcdude

He explicitly said that these are marriott specific packages and I will not be able to use on any SPG hotels since they do not have any legacy catagory numbers.
When I doubted him, he put me on hold for 10 minutes, came back and said his supervisor confirmed the same.
I sure hope CSR is wrong but this is concerning.
Ex SPG hotels are exempted is a problem. The whole point of a merger is for the members to enjoy staying over the rage of brands. Also having to remember all the Marriott hotels prior catagory will also be quite difficult to remember. We would have to call, and that would be time consuming for us and quite costly of Marriott.

I was told by Marriott CS, my travel package is no longer renewable after the 1 year. Which is a total change from my experience. Had I known, I would have reduced the number of travel packages I bought.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:00 pm

I have a Cat 9 award package
Should I hold on to it unattached or attach it to some property?
Im not really sure where I want to go at this point though
Hoping it will be a cat 7 in the new model
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by llbean

attach it to the domes of elounda
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:23 pm

why domes of elunda
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
why domes of elunda
because it is shooting up in category/pricing and you're hoping that yor certificate gets converted to the new category/pricing when you cancel after the transition.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:45 pm
soy

Programs: various
The recent not upgrade/downgrade statement seems crazy unless they are deliberately trying to cause a lot of 'breakage'

For me the fairest and most simple solution is for MPG to say you had a TP for XX points per night in the old program, and that is worth the same in the new program with the option to upgrade/downgrade as desired (at the new rates)

Either way we will know shortly
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Do as you please, you will be able to attach it On/after September 18th to properties of similar value. A Cat 9 WILL NOT be a New Cat 7. That has already been said.

James
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:08 pm

where has this been said?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Do as you please, you will be able to attach it On/after September 18th to properties of similar value. A Cat 9 WILL NOT be a New Cat 7. That has already been said.

James
Said where and by whom?
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

because it is shooting up in category/pricing and you're hoping that yor certificate gets converted to the new category/pricing when you cancel after the transition.
I just did this over the phone and it appeared to go fine.
When I got my reservation is says 30E in tax and 390k points!
But my cert is attached to it?
Is this just a computer glitch?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by soy
The recent not upgrade/downgrade statement seems crazy unless they are deliberately trying to cause a lot of 'breakage'

For me the fairest and most simple solution is for MPG to say you had a TP for XX points per night in the old program, and that is worth the same in the new program with the option to upgrade/downgrade as desired (at the new rates)

Either way we will know shortly
That is not totally fair either because many properties, are going way up in points pricing (such as Domes Of Elounda going up from 45K to 85K and Marriott Hawaii Resorts going up from 40K to 50K) merely due to the category remapping or reshuffle and not due to increased demand, cash rates or renovations/upgrades in the property as it is usually case for category increases.

But at least the the increase in pricing was given with 1.5 month advance notice.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:24 pm
kkl

You would be overly optimistic to think a cat9 will map to new cat7

Don't forget the current rc tiers
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
Domes of Elounda is and will stay Domes of Elounda. There is not justification for it going up from 45K to 85K per night. So yes the cat 9 certificates should be remapped to category 7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.