Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
At this point, nobody should take what ANY CSR says seriously. I'd say 99.9% of them know as much as we do, which is next to nothing.
Adding on what another CSR said when I called the Vacations by Marriott number:

Attach your certificates now or risk having the hotel ask for more points from 18 August.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by sgan317
I upgraded some Cat -7's today to 1 Cat 9 and 1 Tier 1-3. I cant see the updated package on my account but I got the email from Marriott with the certificate so Im not worried. The newly upgraded packages now have an expiration date of today instead of getting backdated to my purchase which is nice.

y hope is both will map to new Cat 7 but I bet only the Tier will map to Cat 7 and the Cat 9 will map to Cat 6.
Did you get a deduction in points in your profile? I just upgraded an hour ago to cat 9, and I have the email and confirmation in my account (-165k points.. less +45k points from cat 1-5? = 120k variance)...... but my total points value still is the same.

Maybe there is a lag to deduct the points from an account?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by emofeng
Called yesterday to book a package for AS miles. Anyone know the transfer time for the miles to show? Rep said 2 weeks...is that accurate?
Friday packages including AS miles booked on say the 10th of August showed up in AS accounts by the 15th/16th of August.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by dominick
Did you get a deduction in points in your profile? I just upgraded an hour ago to cat 9, and I have the email and confirmation in my account (-165k points.. less +45k points from cat 1-5? = 120k variance)...... but my total points value still is the same.

Hasnt shown or deducted yet.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by maxcalls
People who are making the reservation at Domes of Elounda which is a present category 9 (45k) and would peak to 85k using the travel certificate.

Did anyone notice this language in the Cancellation policy.

Holding Your Reservation
  • We will need a credit card prepayment to reserve your room. To ensure that you receive this special rate, we will charge your credit card a prepayment of 258.92 EUR when you make your reservation.
Cancelling Your Reservation
  • You may cancel your reservation for no charge until April 5, 2019 (30 day[s] before arrival).
  • Please note that your prepayment for this special rate is non-refundable.

So if you ultimately do not stay at this property and cancel your reward certificate, the 258.92 EURO would be billed no matter what.
I wonder if

a date change, not cancellation, would prevent the loss of deposit.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
The problems are, due to the ultra opaqueness on how the existing certs will convert post merger, as well as how or if, there is any refund on the properties that go down in points per night. not to mention we cannot book SPG properties until Sept 18 - many of us can NOT attach the certs or even know which category of cert to redeem!
For example, what would happen if the current Cat 6 properties will be the new Cat 4, how would I get the 30K extra payment back? No answer. There is no correspondent 30K/night either, now the pts jump from 25K to 35K to 50K versus the sequential 30K incremental increase.

I have to say that by not letting members to up or down grade their certs once the information is finally available for members to make more intelligent decision versus now we are deliberately being kept in the dark, Marriott is hoping to get the biggest breakage from the hotel stay portion of the Travel Package. The real value in the Travel Package, at least in my situation, is the very cheap 7 nights stay. Marriott is playing the dirty game to generate as much breakage as possible.
It will be interesting to see what kind of lawsuits may arise against Marriott for this situation, if customers are done wrong by this situation. Customers who may get wronged by this kind of situation may end up being part of a class action lawsuit or two.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by dominick

Try the app. On the website my points balance also couldn't keep up with transfers (from SPG and another MF member) and a redemption. The points were there and then deducted but the balance didn't catch up until the next day.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sgan317
Hasnt shown or deducted yet.
On the Activity Page, choose ALL as your display option versus the default 5 items - you should then see the line entry of the redemption, despite the balance has not reflected it nor the activity would not display if not under ALL items mode.

Usually the app should be more accurate but you can also check it the above way on the computer and then can take a screen shot.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Happy
On the Activity Page, choose ALL as your display option versus the default 5 items - you should then see the line entry of the redemption, despite the balance has not reflected it nor the activity would not display if not under ALL items mode.

Usually the app should be more accurate but you can also check it the above way on the computer and then can take a screen shot.
Gotcha... yes in the app it shows the deduction.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:49 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder

It will be interesting to see what kind of lawsuits may arise against Marriott for this situation, if customers are done wrong by this situation. Customers who may get wronged by this kind of situation may end up being part of a class action lawsuit or two.
What?? How do you show that you are harmed when you spend 45,000 MRs and receive 7-night package that is worth 150,000 MRs? Marriott will be happen to return your 45,000 MRs. You want to take back?

This is getting ridiculous. Go ahead and start suing please. You won't win.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
What?? How do you show that you are harmed when you spend 45,000 MRs and receive 7-night package that is worth 150,000 MRs? Marriott will be happen to return your 45,000 MRs. You want to take back?

The internal accounting of Marriott is of no importance to the customer and completely irrelevant to this discussion. The individual holds an instrument that promises 7 nights of accommodation at some specified level.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
The internal accounting of Marriott is of no importance to the customer and completely irrelevant to this discussion. The individual holds an instrument that promises 7 nights of accommodation at some specified level.
btw, I tried twice to get back 45,000 points for a travel package and Marriott said they are no longer allowed to that. Not sure what that means going forward.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SeeTheLights
btw, I tried twice to get back 45,000 points for a travel package and Marriott said they are no longer allowed to that. Not sure what that means going forward.
The purported new T&Cs do have a section that the purchase of TPs is final and there's no refunds once purchased of either the miles transfer nor the hotel cert.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedSun

Who knows.

Reputable lawyers find a reasonable way to try to show harm done to a client before suing. It would be ridiculous to think that Marriott would ignore the potential liability of ripping off its TP customers before making a move, but it doesn’t mean the lawyers always get it right or get their way over those trying to deliver on a business objective more beloved of the senior management team.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:58 am

To add another data point: just called in on the plat line to upgrade my cat 1-5 to cat 9. Took less than 10 minutes including hold time. I'm hoping that cat 9 somehow maps to cat 8. The upgrade also refreshed my expiration date to August 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.