Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:14 pm

If the old Cat-6 (30K/night) 7 night can only be used for new Cat-4 (25K/night), isn't that an unfair downgrade? Considering all other Cats can be fairly mapped, wouldn't it be fair and Marriott receive less complaints/calls to map old Cat-6 to new Cat-5 (35/night).

Or am I dreaming because I currently hold an unattached old Cat-6 7 night TP?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:47 pm

They could map it upwards too. If downgraded, they could also reimburse you 30k points which is the difference in pre merger cat 5 and 6
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by DelAbbot
If the old Cat-6 (30K/night) 7 night can only be used for new Cat-4 (25K/night), isn't that an unfair downgrade? Considering all other Cats can be fairly mapped, wouldn't it be fair and Marriott receive less complaints/calls to map old Cat-6 to new Cat-5 (35/night).

That was my dilemma, too. Decided to just upgrade to Cat 7 instead of Cat 6 in hopes that if everything maps fairly, the Cat 7 should be a new Cat 5 equivalent. Cat 6 is in this weird in between, so I didn't want to take that chance. Fun times...can't wait until 8/18 to see how all of our months of speculation plays out!!!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by DelAbbot

They could just give you a 30,000 points 7-night certificate where you won't be able to use it on Cat 5 cause Peak/Non-Peak won't be introduced till 2019.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:14 am

DP for anyone interested: VS miles posted within 24 hours.
mudd_stuffin and Rusdude like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:15 am

Has anyone been able to transfer >50k between Marriott accounts in order to book a travel package in the last day or two? There were reports in another thread that this option was no longer available.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mster
Has anyone been able to transfer >50k between Marriott accounts in order to book a travel package in the last day or two? There were reports in another thread that this option was no longer available.
Ask for a supervisor — the system to transfer over 50K has been down for awhile now but the way they got me 80K points was to transfer 50K normally and then supervisor manually added/removed 30K from respective accounts.

Please note that the rules only allow for over 50K transfer to be done for the purposes of making a reservation so, to be on the safe side, I made a booking that left me 80K points short and then called in to get the transfer done. Then cancelled reservation, points got refunded and called in later to book a TP.

Also, not every CSR is even aware that over 50K transfers are allowed so if you get pushback - try again.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:08 am

Just called and was told the system is down and no points transfer until August 18. Did anyone get to do the transfer today?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:16 am

Tried twice this week to transfer more than 50k, went to supervisor both times, both times was denied. I gave up
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
How do I actually book this?

So.. I have two category 8 7-night package reward certificates in my account.

I'm trying to book a hotel for 7 nights, which is category 8. I dont see any option to use my certificate as payment for the 7 nights when booking an award stay. How exactly do you go about booking using your certificate?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
So.. I have two category 8 7-night package reward certificates in my account.

I'm trying to book a hotel for 7 nights, which is category 8. I dont see any option to use my certificate as payment for the 7 nights when booking an award stay. How exactly do you go about booking using your certificate?
You have to call in and have the rep add the cert to a reservation. I believe you can make the 7 day res yourself, or the rep can do it on the phone.
brokenwindow likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Deleted
brokenwindow likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This is one thing I seriously hope they fix once the post-merger system integration chaos dies down: it's absolutely ridiculous that people have to phone a human to redeem a Travel Package or attach the hotel portion of the award to a reservation.
GUWonder and entrada like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
This is one thing I seriously hope they fix once the post-merger system integration chaos dies down: it's absolutely ridiculous that people have to phone a human to redeem a Travel Package or attach the hotel portion of the award to a reservation.
Not to mention there are all sorts of human errors made by less than competent reps as we have seen thru out the time leading to the final deadline.
International call centers reps generally do a much better job, as well as the hold time is very minimal.
Use UK or Asia Pacific centers (bear in mind the time zone differences), are far more efficient.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Can you not upgrade a category package to a tier package? I just called to do this and was told I could upgrade to Category 9, but not to Tier 1-3 or 4-5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.