Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
[
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Slightly OT but can someone advise if the points showing on SPG should come across to Marriott at x 3? I just merged my accounts and got the same amount of points in my Marriott as my SPG. I can't remember if I had 12,000 starpoints or 3,000 starpoints left. After transfer I have 12,000 Marriot points.
The points showing in your new Marriott account from SPG was already converted to 3X.

James
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Mid-Tier, Marriott PP/Lifetime Platinum
So I have an "old" Cat 8 7nt certificate that's unattached and valid until 7/2019. Don't know where to go yet, but
does anyone know what category that translates into with the new program?

I thought I saw an answer for it a while back but can't find anything now. I can't imagine it will be the same in the new program as there
are a number of St. Regis properties that are now Cat 7 that for sure were not Cat 8 under the old program! One can wish though.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:12 pm

Maps to cat 5, with a 30k points refund when requested. If it works, eventually.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:14 pm

Called into Marriott Rewards line, on hold for 30+ mins and finally got a rep whose voice sounded like sleepy. Asked for full refund of an old Cat8 TP cert but he said no refund/upgrade/downgrade until Sep 14th. Oh well, whatever you said.

I am started to getting frustrated in terms of the massive communication issue between Marriott loyalty head office and front line Marriott agents. Meanwhile, my experience on calling SPG line is 10x better, even in the situation where they are in the dark and can't help (i.e. book some all suite hotels on points) but at least they are willing to check supervisor or try going through the system and tell me what the roadblock they have. Marriott agents just tell you whatever they *think* is right without even trying.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jw461
Sorry to repost this, but I haven't seen any discussion on what seem like it should be a pretty important topic. Has anyone successfully had a travel package applied to any SPG property? I've been trying and so far it's not possible. The Marriott reps won't touch SPG reservations and SPG reps have no idea how to do anything with a TP certificate.
No. All failures from the comment sections of various blogs that I checked periodically as I too, want to book an SPG property but would not bother to call until there are successes being reported.
All being reported were Marriott told customer to call SPG, SPG reps while tried to help have no idea how to book it. It is a total disgrace on top of the cheating people 30K to start, and then the steps described by Marriott Insider at a post late afternoon passed 5pm has not been working at all, despite she claimed that the system has successfully passed the "pressure test" on Sunday so they can lift the block. Lies after Lies.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
Maps to cat 5, with a 30k points refund when requested. If it works, eventually.
Keyword - if it works, eventually.

Currently nothing works despite the Marriott Insider posted the process after 5pm yesterday. If they are not ready but still need to put out the fire from the PR disaster, why can't they give the guideline but tell people it will still need some time to implement the new policy? Instead the Fake News (blatant lies) again caused many members have wasted lots of time to call and nothing can be accomplished. Meanwhile it ties up its own CSR resources too, not to mention most Marriott CSRs are not only in the dark, as ignorant as usual, but some, including the supervisors, blamed the bloggers for sending out the information - yet, this information is directly from Marriott Insider, posted here on FT, as a vetted Company Representative.

Just how worse the situation could become?

Last edited by Happy; Aug 21, 2018 at 12:24 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywush
Called into Marriott Rewards line, on hold for 30+ mins and finally got a rep whose voice sounded like sleepy. Asked for full refund of an old Cat8 TP cert but he said no refund/upgrade/downgrade until Sep 14th. Oh well, whatever you said.

I am started to getting frustrated in terms of the massive communication issue between Marriott loyalty head office and front line Marriott agents. Meanwhile, my exprience on calling SPG line is 10x better, even in the situation where they are in the dark and can't help (i.e. book some all suite hotels on points) but at least they are willing to check supervisor or try going through the system and tell me what the roadblock they have. Marriott agents just tell you whatever they *think* is right without even trying.
True reflection of the value system of the respective corporation and its management.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
I am beginning to get the feeling that Happy is unhappy...

Thanks a lot Marriott, you have made us all lose faith in the internet.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COMike78
I am beginning to get the feeling that Happy is unhappy...

Thanks a lot Marriott, you have made us all lose faith in the internet.
To tell you the truth, my own situation is actually slightly better than most here who are in the same boat holding the Cat 6, 8 and the Tier 1-3. Thanks to a friend's initiative to take action on Sunday and urged me to follow suit. We are in good shape now while others continue to struggle.

However, the whole thing is so fouled up that I can tell you that I have totally lost faith on Marriott, not on internet where we can get a lot more information just that you need to have the ability to sort things out, and I do believe many of us process such ability.

If you do not voice your unhappiness / frustration / anger, on how big corporations trying to fleece you, and only passively wait for their mercy, then good luck to keep waiting. Though because there are others would not take this abuse lying down, you will get to reap the same fruits when the corporations finally reluctantly to make things right, to some degree. It would not be due to someone patiently waiting for the right thing to happen, but it is the result of the collective pressures from Social Media platforms that force the corporations to change course.
GUWonder and khlay like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:31 pm

Just tried calling to use a 7 night travel package for a Sheraton property and was told they can't do that... yet. No ETA on when that will be possible.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I spoke to a MPG employee who told me that she found out about a policy update from an assistant who read about it on The Points Guy. So, someone at MPG tells something to someone at TPG. Afterwards, someone else at MPG reads TPG... Talk about a circular method of reporting.
cruisr and hipp0 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Happy
To tell you the truth, my own situation is actually slightly better than most here who are in the same boat holding the Cat 6, 8 and the Tier 1-3. Thanks to a friend's initiative to take action on Sunday and urged me to follow suit. We are in good shape now while others continue to struggle.

However, the whole thing is so fouled up that I can tell you that I have totally lost faith on Marriott, not on internet where we can get a lot more information just that you need to have the ability to sort things out, and I do believe many of us process such ability.

If you do not voice your unhappiness / frustration / anger, on how big corporations trying to fleece you, and only passively wait for their mercy, then good luck to keep waiting. Though because there are others would not take this abuse lying down, you will get to reap the same fruits when the corporations finally reluctantly to make things right, to some degree. It would not be due to someone patiently waiting for the right thing to happen, but it is the result of the collective pressures from Social Media platforms that force the corporations to change course.
I am actually sitting perfectly with my certs, but I definitely feel for those that are in less favorable positions. The way Marriott has handled the TPs during the period leading up to the transition (almost complete silence) and since (misleading and constantly changing messaging through unofficial channels) boggles my mind. Here you have Marriott's most loyal customers with massive points balances and it seems like Marriott is going out of their way to bend them over and destroy any good will. While I do believe that the overall number of people impacted is small, this small number is a very vocal and social media-savvy community. At this point the genie is out of the bottle and I am thinking that no matter what Marriott does, it will be impossible for them to earn back the trust of these uber-loyal members that they have flushed down the toilet.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am actually sitting perfectly with my certs, but I definitely feel for those that are in less favorable positions. The way Marriott has handled the TPs during the period leading up to the transition (almost complete silence) and since (misleading and constantly changing messaging through unofficial channels) boggles my mind. Here you have Marriott's most loyal customers with massive points balances and it seems like Marriott is going out of their way to bend them over and destroy any good will. While I do believe that the overall number of people impacted is small, this small number is a very vocal and social media-savvy community. At this point the genie is out of the bottle and I am thinking that no matter what Marriott does, it will be impossible for them to earn back the trust of these uber-loyal members that they have flushed down the toilet.
Marriott can start trying to build trust up by setting right things for all the customers who feel wronged by the way Marriott has handled the travel package customers. But for Marriott to do that, Marriott will have to eat some costs that they wanted the customers to pay for with this game Marriott set up to fleece its customers. I think Marriott as a whole is more willing to anger its retail customers than anger senior company management and the investment community, and thus Marriott won’t fix this mess in whole unless and until they feel backed into a corner of sorts. And even then they won’t fix it without trying to use another means to fleece its biggest point-collecting customers.

Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I get that Old Cat 8 will result in a new Cat 5 with a 30K point refund (when it eventually starts working)

Does anyone have any clue on what happens with the Old Cat 9? What does that map to? And what is the refund amount?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
For a successful company that hopes to retain customer loyalty, it is generally cheaper to handle things fairly in the beginning. MPG could have announced months ago that Old 1-5 maps to new 4, Old 7 to new 5, old Tier 1-3 to new 6 and Tier 4-5 to new 7. At the same time, it could have been made clear that mismatched old certificates would be refunded appropriate points. If that had happened, I believe most would be fine with the results. That would have been cheaper and less controversial for the company than the end result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.