Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywush
Does this imply that I can just wait until my old C1-5 cert gets converted to the new C1-4, then cancel it and I got 30k more?? (45k vs 75k)
No.
You should have read it - that is for a Partial Cat 6.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by zachary
I agree it was an ad hoc decision once they saw the firestorm and realized they had no real defense for what they did. I'd also agree that they have and are sending up a lot of trial balloons, and that's why we have to keep telling them that their current "fix" isn't really a fix.

I'm not sure to whom their "we are the boss" message was directed. To the bloggers? To us, Marriott's customers? If the bloggers, it's sure odd for Marriott to send a message to them by hurting its own customers. If it's the customers, that's really weird marketing, especially as they try to keep the SPG loyalists. And while they'd be right about who the boss is for dollars already spent to earn MR/SPG points, they'd be wrong about future dollars to be spent. This is a marketing program that's supposed to make us want to spend more with Marriott in the future, right?
Customers who run down their account balance to zero or pretty close to it tend to be more likely to jump ship. And if such customers feel they were fleeced, they are even less likely to be as loyal ever again. This is another argument for Marriott to go back to its old ways with regard to the pre-August 18th TPs and let customers replenish their point balances and make sufficient adjustments to undermine the narrative that Marriott has become an anti-customer company that fleeces its biggest point collectors in the loyalty program.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
As I stated, it is my speculation about how this will be handled. I added that you were told otherwise before I read your reply. Until it becomes official, I don't trust the verbal answers we receive.
Actually I would wait till we see more ACTUAL Upgrade DPs on how those are handled before we would "really" know how that would work.
The one thing struck me was, the supervisor assured me several times she put 75K pts to my Partial 1-4. Seems to me it has some significance, because if the Partial 1-4 is from an old Cat 5, it would be only 45K. Online I do not see any point value associated with it but luckily the email confirmation does show the point value attached.
If the cert is used for a stay, then it makes no difference what point value attached as it is a Partial 1-4. However it would make a difference when it is surrendered, or when one wants to upgrade.

I would love to see someone posts what email confirmation on a conversion from Partial Cat 1-5 - that way we can compare if the Code is the same hence the value the same, or not.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
If this is true:
"You actually have until these certificates expire in order to exchange them, and once you do, the certificates will once again be valid for a year, so you can potentially make that work in your favor."
and if they will indeed no longer allow extensions then the old cat 5, 7, 9, and T4-5 are suddenly put at a disadvantage. Why should some get a 1-year extension when others can't?
Very Good Point!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Actually I would wait till we see more ACTUAL Upgrade DPs on how those are handled before we would "really" know how that would work.
The one thing struck me was, the supervisor assured me several times she put 75K pts to my Partial 1-4. Seems to me it has some significance, because if the Partial 1-4 is from an old Cat 5, it would be only 45K. Online I do not see any point value associated with it but luckily the email confirmation does show the point value attached.
If the cert is used for a stay, then it makes no difference what point value attached as it is a Partial 1-4. However it would make a difference when it is surrendered, or when one wants to upgrade.

I would love to see someone posts what email confirmation on a conversion from Partial Cat 1-5 - that way we can compare if the Code is the same hence the value the same, or not.
This is really interesting; I was wondering how they'd peg the surrender value of the new travel packages. It is a potentially interesting twist that the conversion process could lead to a higher surrender value....
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: Free agent
Has anyone been able to successfully refund their package? That looks to be an option based on OMAAT but I haven't had luck. Been on hold for over an hour on this round of HUCA.

When I did connect I got a very helpful lady who was determined to let me do it if it was possible. She spoke with 4 different supervisors, the final one telling her that he blamed The Points Guy for this and said while he's well intentioned he doesn't speak for Marriott and that it wasn't accurate that you could either redeem or cancel them as of today."

I never mentioned TPG to them, or OMAAT, just that there were various bloggers that mentioned Marriott sources.
invalyd likes this.

Last edited by jmail1; Aug 20, 2018 at 6:04 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:22 pm

I cancelled my travel pack booking hoping to rebook another hotel that dropped in category.

Booking cancelled... But the certificate disappeared into the nether. Oops
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
I cancelled my travel pack booking hoping to rebook another hotel that dropped in category.

Booking cancelled... But the certificate disappeared into the nether. Oops
Did you cancel it online yourself or a CSR canceled it for you? The cert may take an overnight update before it shows up again.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
I tallied the hotels based on old and new category values, and looked at the distribution. I stole shamelessly from the spreadsheet created by a Reddit user, then added the formulas. Original data comes from the https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change web page.

I have been caught with my hand in the cookie jar a bit, as I included all properties (including SPG), and it should really be Marriott + Ritz only. So I've updated and provide those numbers below with an example.

Old Cat6 had 600 hotels. Those were distributed to new categories 10 @ 3, 464 @ 4, 125 @ 5 and 1 @ 6. The converted cert category of 4 would then cover 474 of the original hotels (sum hotels in Cat4 and below coming from old Cat5), or 79% (474 / 600). For Cat8, that is 69%, and Cat9 76%. The n-1 and n+1 was meant to show how if they rounded down/up the converted category, what the coverage would be. If the rounded up Cat6, 8, 9, and T1 then there would be little to complain about beyond the poor communication, because the hotels you can buy before and after are the same.

So in terms of coverage, the biggest losers in order are Cat8, Cat9, Cat6, T3 (ignoring T5). It is easy to get caught up in the overpayment of 30k for the same cert, but getting those 20-30% hotels back is much costlier than that (if they allowed upgrading converted certs, which they supposedly won't).

Thank you for your explanation! Makes total sense now. One thing I don't quite get is how T3 has a higher percentage than 9 when they are mapped to the same category? Was it because a lot of the Ritz fell into new Cat 6 boosting old T3's numbers?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Did you cancel it online yourself or a CSR canceled it for you? The cert may take an overnight update before it shows up again.
Self cancelled. On hold now, although I might just wait if this stays fruitless.

Edit: f me, rep refreshed my account and it looks like they just gave me the 45k points instead of a category 1 through 4 certificate... Except I actually need the nights omg

Last edited by crimsona; Aug 20, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Self cancelled. On hold now, although I might just wait if this stays fruitless.

Edit: f me, rep refreshed my account and it looks like they just gave me the 45k points instead of a category 1 through 4 certificate... Except I actually need the nights omg
You need to talk to some supervisor to have it fixed. Please share if you are able to get the old P830 PARTIAL PKG CAT1-5 cert back, if it does, then it likely means IT hasn't completely shutdown the way to purchase old TP cert, and we may have a way to upgrade to the old TP CAT 9 cert.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:44 pm

No partial package, rep escalated to supervisor, but unable to order old packages. Points balance went up by 45k

Last edited by crimsona; Aug 20, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
If this is true:
"You actually have until these certificates expire in order to exchange them, and once you do, the certificates will once again be valid for a year, so you can potentially make that work in your favor."
and if they will indeed no longer allow extensions then the old cat 5, 7, 9, and T4-5 are suddenly put at a disadvantage. Why should some get a 1-year extension when others can't?
They said no upgrades, they didn't necessarily mention extensions. I think that is a reasonable thing to do, but who knows.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by jmail1
Has anyone been able to successfully refund their package? That looks to be an option based on OMAAT but I haven't had luck. Been on hold for over an hour on this round of HUCA.

When I did connect I got a very helpful lady who was determined to let me do it if it was possible. She spoke with 4 different supervisors, the final one telling her that he blamed The Points Guy for this and said while he's well intentioned he doesn't speak for Marriott and that it wasn't accurate that you could either redeem or cancel them as of today."

I never mentioned TPG to them, or OMAAT, just that there were various bloggers that mentioned Marriott sources.
Oh the irony. I do feel bad for the front line agents, although I do wish they would just say they don't know in lieu of making things up (as seen by the range of data points). That said, they only have to look in the mirror and upwards as to why this situation exists - Marriott hasn't been transparent and forthcoming with the information, instead relying on forum and blogs to provide 'updates', gauge feedback and re-calibrate.

Coming from the AA world, we are so lucky to have members like JonNYC and Three Juliet Tango that are able to provide specifics on procedure for complex situations. Wish we had that here.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone been able to fully refund their cert yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.